Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Flu when banded

I just spent two days in the hospital with stomach flu....with uncontrollable vomiting and diarhea....and I cannot imagine what would have happened if I had been banded.

Has anyone suffered stomach flu or some such disease while banded...and if so...did it cause any problems??

This whole experience has me a little wary of getting banded now...I cant imagine being any sicker and still living to tell the story.

Thanks for the response!

Kathi

My doctor gave me some nausia medicine that i rub on my wrists. I had some problems when i was banded on Dec 18 2006, I would get sick to the stomach very easily, so he prescribed this to me. He told me to call him for the same meds if i get the flu bug.

P.S.- Sorry for my spelling its not the greatest.

I had the stomach 'flu while banded. It was actually a bit more bearable than pre-banding, because I used to be a very violent vomiter (sorry for the TMI, but it used to come up so fast it came out of my nose). Post-band, vomiting from the lower stomach (not PB'ing) is much easier than it used to be.

That's good to know, gadgetlady... I've been wondering about that too: What if? If it takes a long time for stuff to go DOWN, what happens when it tries to come back UP? Does it blow out the band, injure the stomach? Then I remembered that there wouldn't be much in the way of stomach contents in there anyway, so it's probably not a huge issue... is that right? It's a kind of scary thought.

My doc. said that if I get the stomach flu to call him and come into the office to remove the Fluid from the band. He said not to have it tight and throw up. Then he said when you are better, we will put it back. That was one of my first questions because I work at an elem. school!

I had a combination of Bronchitis, phnemonia, and strep over Christmas. I coughed so much I was scared my band would slip. My cough was so hard at times I couldnt breath and landed me in the hospital. I didnt have anything done to my band but I got better or am getting better I should say slowly and my band still seems to be in tact. /knocks on wood. I didnt have much vomiting and no one told me to come in for a severe cough. But I know for vomiting they say to come in and get medication to stop throwing up. ;)

I was just banded three days ago, and think that I caught a virus. I was so scared that I would throw up, I called my doctor and he put me on compozine suppositories, which seemed to help alot. I am still frustrated because I hink this will slow down my recuperation period. I somehow thought I would be up and running around soon after surgery. I am so upset, but the loss of ten pounds since the pre-op diet and surgery helps keep my spirits up despite not feeling well.

I was stupid this weekend and drank A LOT over New Year's... I threw up in 2 horrible sessions today and have just had Water until now when I started mushies. I hope I didn't hurt my band.... I feel like the stupidiest person in the world- I love my band but I really didn't think about it while taking the shots. I just wanted to be normal and do what everyone else was doing. I am NO longer drinking though- that was it... It was horrible!

I had asperational pnumonia last year it lasted just over 3 months was horrendus to say the least. It took a complete unfill just to be able to take anti biotics.

I caught the stomache flu 4 days after banding. It was not fun, but since I was on liquids only just alot of dry heaving (TMI). I don't think it was as violent as pre-banding ever was, so that was good. But i was VERY scared.

I had the stomach 'flu while banded. It was actually a bit more bearable than pre-banding, because I used to be a very violent vomiter (sorry for the TMI, but it used to come up so fast it came out of my nose). Post-band, vomiting from the lower stomach (not PB'ing) is much easier than it used to be.

Had you been filled at all when this vomiting episode occurred? I thought vomiting would be near to impossible with the band without it doing some major damage.

Had you been filled at all when this vomiting episode occurred? I thought vomiting would be near to impossible with the band without it doing some major damage.

I was completely filled or, rather, filled as much as I should be to have a good restriction. Luckily, what was in my stomach at the time was all liquid.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">i spent 5 days in the hospital from jan 1st - jan-6th 2007 yes this last week from throughing up. omg it hurt so bad no slaippage thank god

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>