Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those 4 months post op or more are you eating protien bars, oatmeal, and Protein Shakes? Tired of eating the same old foods, scared of fruit due to carbs is there any good carbs we can eat?

For those 4 months post op or more are you eating protien bars' date=' oatmeal, and Protein shakes? Tired of eating the same old foods, scared of fruit due to carbs is there any good carbs we can eat?[/quote']

I'm not sure about carbs , butI found these beef sticks at the Vitamin SHOPPE & they are part ostrich & beef. They are a great snack! 4% fat, 80 calories & 17grams of protein! ! They come in different flavors as well. They cost me $1.69 per stick, they are a great snack and cheap considering a take along snack. They are NOT greassy tasting like most beef sticks.

I found these good energy bars at costco that are high in Fiber, not too many carbs, fat, or calories. They taste good and keep me full. I work nights so theyhelp me from snacking on the wrong things. I have like 6 different Protein Shakes. My favorite is a coffee and chocolate one. I use almond milk and it actully tastes like a milkshake. I always search around for other high Protein, low carb recipes online. Youtube has really good ones. fruit works well with me. The doctor told me the carbs from fruit are better for you than from a starchy food, and get digested better. I usually make mine into a smoothie and take a few sips. It goes down easier. I eat lunch meat as a snack also. I am nervous about eating too many carbs so I just eat a bite of something that is high in carbs.

Fruits!!!

I'm under the impression at some point in time someone told you carbs are satan and cause suicide inducing nightmares? They lied to you, and probably stole your bike while you contemplated what life would be like without Pasta.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/5/899S.full

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carbohydrates/my01458

http://greatist.com/health/fitness-reborn-real-truth-about-carbs

Research the Glycemic Index, it breaks down carbs Barney style (yes the purple dinosaur that loves everyone). It's easy, it works.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index

Your body is a chemistry set, carbs create insulin responses within your body and helps facilitate weight movement. I could go on and bore you, just check the links.

I count calories and Protein, and avoid bread, rice, Pasta because of the carbs. When I say "avoid", to me that translates into once in a while, I will have something like that. I eat a little fruits and/or vegetables every day. I do have some carbs, but not super high or super low. My body needs them to function properly. I don't eat oatmeal....not enough protein for me. I have the occasional Protein Bar, but try to limit them because they could quickly become a bad habit for me!

I don't know about everyone else but as for me personally, I did not have this surgery so that I could spend the rest of my life on a diet. I will eat all the Protein on my plate first...but then if there is still room...or desire I will have some carbs. I eat fruit, and sometimes even a potato or even rice and Pasta. I eat all of those in moderation, and when I really feel I need it. I avoid the sweets for the most part...but if I am at a party and there is cake...well I'm gonna have some cake...mind you it is about 5% of a slice that I used to eat, but I sure as heck savor it and enjoy! I feel that if you say to yourself 'I can't have that anymore.' Then you sit there wanting it even more....and in the process you will sabotage yourself. I am almost two years out. I have been at goal for a while, and maintaining really well. The most important part is that while I enjoy food, I don't obsess over it anymore. Go and enjoy a few carbs every once in a while! Good luck! :)

I, like Sassygirl, eat my Protein first. I'm 6 months out and continue to weigh my portions of meat/fish. If I still have room I eat veggies (there are naturally occurring carbs in fruits & veggies). I by choice don't eat bread, Pasta, rice. Since I have always had a gluten sensitivity it's easy for me not to eat that. I do eat 2 fruit servings every day as Snacks. I feel like I eat a 'normal' diet - so much so that when we're out to dinner with friends (who do not know I had surgery) I don't 'stick out' with the way I eat.

Example: I'll order a small salad, dressing on the side. Eat some, take the rest home. I'll order fish or chicken with veggies (no rice or potato) eat some, take the rest home. I sip Water before the meal but stop before I eat and don't drink during or for 30 minutes after I eat. I don't eat the bread at the table. I leave full & happy and with food for lunch or my dogs the next day!

My NUT stresses eating a balanced diet which includes fruits & veggies. Good luck, you will find your 'normal' and still lose weight.

Carbs are most likely not your enemy. In fact, I'll say carbs are not your enemy, not at all. Quality of carbs can be an issue for people that are triggered to binge on them. But otherwise? We NEED carbs. Now, I do admit that I avoid rice and Pasta for the most part. But not because of the carbs or even the quality of carb - they're just hard for me to eat with a tiny stomach. I'd rather enjoy my meal, not find myself overfull before I'm done eating!

I do not want to come off condescending or preachy. But this is not Atkins, part two. This is about finding a way to eat that you can maintain FOREVER.

Because right now? You've got your eyes on goal. That's the big hurdle you want to cross, right? Well, you can't see it yet, but over that hurdle is a long, long and winding road that we call maintenance.

Ask yourself right now: "Can I avoid carbs and never eat them again and live on 40 grams or less a day forever?"

If the answer is no, you need to find ways to incorporate a good variety of foods and you need to learn how to eat those carbs without going bonkers and binging or without stalling out your weight. If you don't do it now, you'll have to do it in maintenance. Maintenance is hard no matter what; do not complicate it by having to teach yourself moderation there, too.

The best diet for you and the right proportions are something only you can figure out - it's when you can eat a diet that makes you feel satisfied without deprivation but also keeps you losing weight. It's finding a way to eat that you can easily adjust once at maintenance to ideally keep at goal for life.

So. My advice? Incorporate more carbs of whatever type you like. Track your food daily. Do not view this as the time to add in a ton of processed food or white sugar. Those things are okay, and you do need to learn how to eat a small, sensible portion of them and walk away. But start with the good stuff. Bring in some healthy grains or a thin slice of homemade bread. Add in a little fruit. Find a balance and make it work for you.

~Cheri