Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PPI, are you on one? You should be. If you're on one, be sure it's working for you - I had to change what I was on from Nexium to Prevacid (didn't work at all!) to Prilosec (I used generic omeprazole) before I felt relief. Do not assume that a lack of burning in your throat means you don't have too much acid. More often, the only symptom is that rumbling tummy and a never ending feeling of hunger.

That feeling of hunger is almost always acid and it can fool any of us - I'm three years out next month and haven't had to take a PPI regularly outside of pregnancy since six months post op. But if I'm having a lot of acid? It sounds and feels EXACTLY like a grumbly tummy. So, first line of defense when you feel hunger is ALWAYS to evaluate whether or not you're taking a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec. Tums does not count, and despite being a PPI, many have come here to report Prevacid doesn't control the acid (it didn't for me, either) so make sure you're on something.

Beyond that, in the early days of liquids and soft foods it's hard to feel satiety from a mental perspective. We want food because we can't chew and that makes us think about food all the time.

Find a Protein that works. I promise, I've had to try more than thirty over the last three years to find things I like that don't bother my system. There is something out there for you, too. Protein is necessary and it's going to be a long while before you can consume enough food (and in enough variety to keep you from going insane!) to get the nutrients you need. Find samples online and keep trying, it's worth the effort!

Spend any time around here and you'll see people remind themselves and others that they operated on your stomach, not your brain. Those desires to eat are so often mental and emotional, not physical.

And finally, worst case scenario? Maybe you didn't lose the hunger. It's doubtful, because in four years around here (I lurked a good six months before starting to post) I've only seen three or four people with this issue. Even if that's the case, you have a sleeve that's going to help you immensely. How well you do has nothing to do with even the size of your stomach - it's what you put in it that counts. People that don't feel hunger can still fizzle out before goal and embrace bad habits like binges or grazing. How well you do is entirely up to you and the choices you make.

That said, it's most likely acid, I promise. :)

~Cheri

I have started Prilosec so I am hoping that helps. Thanks for all your guidance - I will hang in there!