Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to know if anyone else has dealt with UHC and being a new hire

Hey everyone,

I started a new job a week ago, and they carry United Healthcare. They exclude weight loss surgery on the plan, BUT they are renewing the plan next week, and discussing the renewal today with the insurance rep. My HR guy was nice enough to ask about adding that option to our plan, he's sympathetic because his wife wants to get banded. I don't know if it costs the company more money to cover this or not. Does anyone know, or has anyone else had to request getting it added to their employer's plan?

Yes, it does cost the company more money, that is why a lot of the companies will "exclude" this.

I'm not sure how much more it cost.

I have United Healhcare insurance and my company did not have the WLS excluded, so I was able to get approved within 2 weeks. I am now scheduled to have my surgery on 1/18/07.

I would suggest letting HR know the benefits of WLS for people. i.e. Medication cost will go down, most people will be able to get off of their BP meds, diabetic meds, etc. Also, less other surgeries due to obesity, less knee replacements, back surgery. Less sick time will be taken, obesity causes a lot of sickness. You can gather other co-workers who feel the same way. Do some research on the internet about the benefits that companies have seen with WLS surgery insurance. This will help HR make their decision whether to keep the exlusion or reverse it.

I wish you the best!

NOW IS THE TIME TO GET IT ADDED!!!!!!!!!

If your employer adds it then the insurance company has no choice but to approve it

they spoke to our rep, and since we are such a small company, according to Texas law, they can't add it in, or something like that. Basically the company won't pay for the add on I think. So, I guess I'll be saving up for a couple years.

I see that your BMI wasn't real high when you were approved. Did you have a five year history of BMI > 40? My UHC insurance goes into effect Jan 1, and they require the five year history. I don't quite meet that.

I see that your BMI wasn't real high when you were approved. Did you have a five year history of BMI > 40? My UHC insurance goes into effect Jan 1, and they require the five year history. I don't quite meet that.

when I filled out the application with my surgeon, they asked me to give them all the diets that I have tried in the past 5 years. There was a huge list of them and I checked off all that I have tried, also if they were medically supervised. I did go to a diet doctor a few years ago. And I have an online journal that I have kept since 2001 of my Atkins diet. so I was prepared to show them my journal if needed. My insurance never asked for proof. They were more concerned that my BMI was 40 or above.

Please feel free to PM if you have any other questions or want to chat about the process. I wish you the best.

they spoke to our rep, and since we are such a small company, according to Texas law, they can't add it in, or something like that. Basically the company won't pay for the add on I think. So, I guess I'll be saving up for a couple years.

So sorry.....I truly understand. I know without my insurance it would be over for me. i was not in a position to be self pay. Hopefully things will change....I wish you the best in 2007.