Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on 12/26/06

Hello everyone,

This is my first time here. I was banded 2 days ago and I'm still in a lot of pain. I also had a repair of a hiatal hernia; two procedures for the price of one! I expect to have a pain but it feels so ackward at times. Every time I get up I feel this heaviness on my chest which comes and goes during the day. I also experience "needle" like pains on the incisions which are often pretty sharp. And on top of that, upper back pain, which I was told by my surgeon that it's a reflecting pain from the hernia. Have you guys had similar pain? How long all this will last?

I had 3 surgeries in one (LB, hernia repair and removal of my gallbladder). The pain in your back can also be gas. I suffered greatly with it. Try lots of Gas-X (double what the box says) and try to walk, walk, walk. The pains at your incisions are mostly likely just healing pains. You're only 2 days postop...Give it a few more days. By 7 days you should feel much much better.

For me it only took about 3-4 days to recover from my surgery but I didnt have a hernia operation at the same time so I cant say in your instance...Congrats on having the surgery anyway...and believe me stick in there the best is yet to come!

:) becky

Congrats on your surgery. You are probably in more pain that usual because of the hernia. I would take it easy and the pain should be better within a week. Good luck.

Thank you so much guys for all your input. I didn't realize that the pain in the upper back can also be gas. I'll try the Gas-X, as recommended by Lana. It's funny, I'm trying to be so "in-tuned" of what goes on inside my body that sometimes I wonder if I'm creating imaginary pains. Well, at least it's not an imaginary friend :). When I try to sleep at night, given that I'm still hurting to turn on either side, I have this feeling that the band will move too.... I'm getting paranoid too I think!

I try to walk a lot but getting dressed to go out takes a lot of effort. This too shall pass.

Congratulations to all of you for your great results. This site is very informative as well as motivational.

I too, was banded 12-26-06. The 1st 2 days were horrible, but by the 3rd day things were much better. I had the hernia repair also. I also had some complications with the anethesia, the liquid Loritab and the compazine. Totally spaced out. I ended up just taking the liquid extra strength Tylenol and that worked much better. My referred gas pains weren't too bad, but by just moving seemed to help.

I was banded on the 26th. I have been good but I was in the recovery room with a guy who had both things done. The doc. told him the pain he would have would not be from the band but from the hernia. His side was hurting and he told him it might take a bit longer because of the hernia but that it would get better. Congrats and I hope you are better in day 5!

Yep, 2 days out of surgery was the worst for me. The gas pains in the chest were bad, but walking around helped me alot. Hang in there it does get better.

Well, I'm new to this site, but feel very blessed that I stumbled upon it during a google search. My surgery is in 3 days (Tuesday, Jan. 2nd) and I'm both excited and scared.

I just read a posting called "grumpy nyc" and identified with it because, like her, I'm new to this, I'm having my hiatal hernia repaired with the lapband surgery, and I want to lose 130 pounds. (I also have a ton of gall stones, but my surgeon says he'll only repair the hernia right now. I have to have the gall bladder out in March sometime.)

I'm so curious about what I'm going to feel like 1 minute after the surgery, 1 hour after, 1 day after, and so forth.

I'd love to know what I should bring with me to the hospital and what I should buy to keep at home for when I'm released from the hospital. I saw a reference to gas-x in another posting, which I had not heard or read about before.

Other questions I have are: how long after the surgery can I drive? when do the gas pains finally subside altogether? I plan on taking up yoga and/or pilates. How long afterward can I do this?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks. -ginatae55:help:

Well, I'll give you my situation and what i did, i was banded nov 10 06. Right after surgery, I had intense chest pains,kinda scared me. But after I was told it was the gas that the doc uses during surgery i understood. Walking around helped me get rid of the gas and gas meds. The incisions are sore but wasn't unbearable. I didn't have much of an appetite after surgery so all you really want is juice or broth. Which is good cause that's all u get. It was painful to sleep on my sides the first week, flat on my back was the most comfortable. When I made my move from liqueds to mushies, I went to cream of wheat and creamed Soups. They filled me up pretty good. I don't mind answering more questions but remember not everyone is the same. Good luck and Happy New Life in 2007 Yahoo

Well, I'm new to this site, but feel very blessed that I stumbled upon it during a google search. My surgery is in 3 days (Tuesday, Jan. 2nd) and I'm both excited and scared.

I just read a posting called "grumpy nyc" and identified with it because, like her, I'm new to this, I'm having my hiatal hernia repaired with the lapband surgery, and I want to lose 130 pounds. (I also have a ton of gall stones, but my surgeon says he'll only repair the hernia right now. I have to have the gall bladder out in March sometime.)

I'm so curious about what I'm going to feel like 1 minute after the surgery, 1 hour after, 1 day after, and so forth.

I'd love to know what I should bring with me to the hospital and what I should buy to keep at home for when I'm released from the hospital. I saw a reference to gas-x in another posting, which I had not heard or read about before.

Other questions I have are: how long after the surgery can I drive? when do the gas pains finally subside altogether? I plan on taking up yoga and/or pilates. How long afterward can I do this?

Welcome Gina and I wish you the best of luck.

It seems that we are "twins" but not "identical" given I don't have the gold stones ;). I'll try to answer all your questions based on my recent experiences ...

The very first minute I remember it was in the OR when the anesthesiologist was removing the tube from my throat. I remember people talking, calling my name, telling me everything was finished, that I was ok and that they would move me to the recovery area. I also remember that I wanted to reply to them but I couldn't. I had no strength and was still under the influence of the anesthesia.

After 45 mins that I was in the recovery room I was able to talk to the nurse who was by my side. She was asking me how I felt and I was telling her I had this horrible pain on my chest, as if someone sat on it and didn't want to move! It was all expected because of the anesthesia tube. Apparently they inflate your lungs with air in order to proceed with the surgery. Upon removal of the tube, your lungs are still filled with this "air" which is translated as gas pain. She gave me 4 cc of morphine, I felt a little better but I still felt that heaviness. I got another 4 cc of morphine and an ingection of something, on my leg, b/c I was getting nauseous from the morphine. My nurse was trying to make me as comfortable as possible, constantly kept asking me how my pain was on the scale of 1 to 10. When I reached a 4 [of course being the typical auditor (my profession), I kept telling them 4.5 which doesn't exist on their scale ;)] they moved me to my room. These were the first couple of hours after the surgery.

While in my room, I was told by another nurse that was assigned to me at that point, that when I feel up to it, she would help me to get out of bed and walk. That was a task on its own! Mind you, the chest pain was a little less but still there! She also mentioned that the more I walked the more the gas will come out. Burping was a great thing, according to the nurse, b/c the air comes out but very painful to me. My surgery was at 4:00pm, it lasted for 45mins. The tube was removed between 5:00-5:15, I was in the recovery at 5:45pm and then my room around 7:45pm. I didn't start walking until 10:30pm. The difficult part and painful at the same time was to get out of bed. Given you need to sit up, imagine doing a crunch at the gym. All your abdominal muscels are "getting together" but the incisions are there to make your life difficult! Once I got up, I was fine. I took my IV for a ride and off my room I went. Now, mind you, I didn't ask for the nurse's assistance. If I had done that, maybe getting up would have been a little easier. So, do not follow my example there! I managed to do 13 rounds, they encourage you to do at least 10, and the more I walked the more the air was coming out as burping.

My first night was painful. I was lucky enough to be alone in my room with a beautiful view of Manhattan at night and the lights of the 59th street bridge. I found that having my bed on a 45 degree angle worked very well with my pain. One thing they put on me in the OR, before even the surgery started, was a pair of boots that help to prevent blood cluts. I boots are attached to a machine and every 2-3 seconds you feel like a force of air on the curve of your foot. Not painful at all, it's actually pleasurable. They only take those off when you start walking. The whole idea of walking is one to help you with the gas but most importantly to prevent the blood cluts. The nurse asked me when I was going to sleep, if I wanted the boots, given I did walk. I still wanted them on for the night. Now, that was up to me, but it didn't help my sleeping. I was able to sleep for 3 hrs the first night. One thing I forgot to mention was that around 11:00 pm they started giving me ice chips and I had to try to go to the bathroom either before I sleep or even during the night. They have to see that your blader is working fine. Now, that was difficult, b/c I only had the IV fluids until then, but have the Water running in the bathroom and pray :) During the night, I experienced also upper back pain. It was really intense and I still had the chest pain.

Next morning, the nurse came to my room around 5:45, took my vitals and then I waited for the doctors to do rounds. I got up and walked a little. My doctor stopped by at 8:30am, and I asked her about my back pain. Apart from the gas, it is also a reflex pain from the chest, from the removal of the hernia.

I was in pain and the difficult part was to get dressed. Make sure when you get to the hospital you wear looooooose clothes. Your incisions would be almost at your waist line and forget putting pantyhose. I would recommend sweat pants that they are soft on the waist line and if you have those with the string that you can adjust, even better.

The first day and especially night were very hard. My doctor gave me a prescription of vicodin to take 1 to 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hrs. You are not supposed to exceed 8 tablets a day. Needless to say I took all 8. Do not be a martyr. If you are hurting, take the pills. During the night, I had pillows on my sides. I sleep on my side but I couldn't turn due to the incisions. Pillows helped. I've also used 3 pillows under my head so I can be at the 45 degree angle. I did have a strong pain on my chest, but it was only in the middle of the chest, which is from the hernia. And, all sorts of pains all over. First night out of the hospital was horrible. Plus, the fact I was alone didn't help. I don't have family in the US and my boyfriend was away on a business trip which couldn't be changed. It's not like you won't have pain if family is there, but I think having someone around would be very comforting.

Day 2 was much better. My painkillers were reduced to 6 then 4 in Day 3 and yesterday I took 3. Today I'm filling much better. I still have the back pain, the pain in the middle of my chest and the incisions surface every so often with needle like pains but the degree is much less, and it is normal. Remember to crush your pills. I've read someone's suggestion here to crush them, put them on a tablespoon, add a few drops of Water, drink them like that followed by apple juice. That worked much better than putting them in tea or anything other liquid. Plus, you suffer for a second vs. having to consume the whole cup of tea which was very bitter, no matter how much Equal I sued.

In terms of what to take with you at the hospital, I took my robe, sleepers, my pjs but couldn't use them b/c I preferred that huge and comfortable gown from the hospital, a case for my glasses w. my name on it, a small towel, a toothbrush/toothpaste, my facial cream and underwear. I didn't really use my robe though because it was took hot at the hospital and they did provide me with sleepers but I liked mine better.

While I was waiting for the surgery, I asked my doctor to give me the prescription for the pain killer at that time and my girlfriend went to fill it out while I was in surgery. In that case, it was one less anxiety the next day going home. Make sure you have in your house/apt. shakes, I personally like the Slim Fast Easy to Digest shake b/c they are not as thick, I also had chicken broth, prune juice (it was proven to work well, but I drank a cup on the 3rd day), Propel water from Gatorade in berry flavor (there is also a citrus one but it's not as tasty). They gave me Propel at the hospital and them my girlfriend bought more and left them in my apt. It is a Vitamin water.

Regarding Gas-X, I've never used it until someone mentioned it to me here. I bought it yesterday and it works pretty well. My back pain in almost gone.

Feel free to ask anything else you need. We are all here to help each other. Once again I wish you the best of luck, and when you are up to it, after your surgery, write an update :bananajump:

Have a Happy New Year.

I was so wrapped up to my first reply to you that I missed your last questions. You'll be able to drive 1 week after the surgery. Yoga, any form, after 6 weeks, which also applies to going back to the gym for other types of workout and lifting. You can walk on the treadmil if you wish after the first week but no other streching until all your stiches heal properly. The last thing you need is to go back in the hospital. Do not rush it. Your body also will tell you if a movement/action you are doing, feels right. I do pilates myself and I've asked my doctor the same question.

Now keep in mind, from what I've noticed here, each doctor has his/her own rules to go by. The answers above are based on my discussion with my doctor. I would strongly suggest you ask your doctor as well, before you start anything after your surgery.

Grumpy NYC and others- Thanks much for your advice! I now have a vivid picture of what to expect, which makes things a bit easier, because I'm no longer flying in the dark. Needless to say, I plan on buying gas-x and propel tonight before I go home.

I can't believe I only have 3 days before the surgery. (I was wrong when I said it was Tuesday; it's actually on Wednesday.)

For any of you with children: I have a 5-year old son. Do I need to have someone take care of him for me? If so, for how long? Thanks. -ginatae55

Hi Grumpy,

I too had the hiatal hernia repaired and that is the only thing that I have suffered any pain at all with. I was just wondering if your doctor told you what if anything should be done especially for the hernia? I am scared to death I am going to hurt something in there.

How long will you be out of work? I had my surgery on Dec. 21st and am planning on going back on Tuesday, the 2nd, but am not sure if that is enough time for the hernia repair. The doctor didn't seem to seperate my instructions from the lap band and the hernia. Know what I mean?

Thanks for any response.

Hi Grumpy,

I too had the hiatal hernia repaired and that is the only thing that I have suffered any pain at all with. I was just wondering if your doctor told you what if anything should be done especially for the hernia? I am scared to death I am going to hurt something in there.

How long will you be out of work? I had my surgery on Dec. 21st and am planning on going back on Tuesday, the 2nd, but am not sure if that is enough time for the hernia repair. The doctor didn't seem to seperate my instructions from the lap band and the hernia. Know what I mean?

Thanks for any response.

Hi Ann,

I am currently experiencing pain relating to the hernia repair. I know how you feel about "hurting something in there". I am not sure from your question if your doctor explained to you the procedure relating to the hernia. I'll tell you what I know from my doctor. The hiatal hernia is located above the diaphragm between the esophagus and the stomach. It is in essence, a small part of the stomach that is above the diaphragm and does now allow the diaphragm to function properly as it can't really separate the esophagus from the stomach. The way they repair it is by pushing the "hernia" down to the stomach and putting a net around it to hold it in place. There are stiches involved in order to hold that net. What I'm experiencing is a heaviness in the middle of my chest, right between the breasts. My doctor said that this heaviness I'm experiencing is normal and also any pain on my upper back. She advised me to stay home if I can for 10 days, not to lift any weight at all and avoid streching of any short for 6 weeks as the stiches need to heal. Also she mentioned to be careful in the beginning how I move i.e. getting off the bed, to put my legs down first and then to try to get up. To avoid to do any sudden movements b/c the heaviness will be even more intense and painful.

I am off from work from Dec. 26 until Jan. 12th. I have to go in on the 4th because I scheduled all my meetings w. clients and people from my office in one day and then I'll be off again until the 12th. I will go in for a few hours on the 12th, again for meetings etc. I'll be back full time on Monday the 15th. I wanted to take as much time as I could now b/c my schedule will be absolutely insane until July. I would say that you should be a better judge as to how you feel. Do not push yourself if you are not ready to get back that soon. I would suggest you discuss with your doctor and ask for a few more days. You can check with your office, in the HR department if you qualify for disability so you wont have to lose vacation or sick days [if they are limited].

I hope my answer helped you. If you need any further detail, please let me know. I'll be happy to communicate further with you.

Happy New Year