Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have already completed the psych, the two required support groups and gotten my insurnce approval. I have to go to Pulmunary and Cardio on the same day. Can anyone give me sme insight as to what happens at those appointments? They both said to expect to last about an hour.

Sean

P.S. I am a little concerned about the actual surgery.... anyone heard of anyone dying during the lap-band procedure?

I have never heard of anyone dying during this surgery and after having gone through it I have to say it wasn't any worse than having my wisdom teeth removed during surgery. In fact, I think the teeth hurt more.

Kristin

I have already completed the psych, the two required support groups and gotten my insurnce approval. I have to go to Pulmunary and Cardio on the same day. Can anyone give me sme insight as to what happens at those appointments? They both said to expect to last about an hour.

Sean

P.S. I am a little concerned about the actual surgery.... anyone heard of anyone dying during the lap-band procedure?

Hello sean5732

I just had the pulmonary test on Tues.

I was put in a little booth with a chair. It was all windows.

There was a tube that you put in your mouth kinda like the breathing thing for scuba divers and a plug for your nose. (It's not scarry)

They measure lung capacity with a few different tests. I had to following instructions for breathing...breath normal for 4-5 breaths and on command I had to inhale as deeply as possible and on command, blow it out as fast as possible and get every bit of air out my lungs. She kept saying push! push! push!, I felt like I was delivering a baby again!

Anyway, it took about 35-45 minutes. She said I didn't pass my second set of tests (60%) and I'm kinda worried what my surgeon will say about these results. I hope it doens't ruin my changes of getting a band. Of course, being overweight can decrease lung capicity and I have just quit smoking (7 days ago)

I don't have to have a cardio test so I can't help with that.

Good Luck!

Cardio test is easy. They tape those little sensors on you and have you walk the treadmill for a couple of minutes.

I figure if you don't fall over from an easy walk on the treadmill, you can probably make it through the band surgery.

:]

I think I only had an EKG done to make sure my heart was working okay, so I can't help you there.

I agree with Okiefamily that having my tonsillectomy or my wisdom teeth extraction hurt worse than this surgery. I didn't take any of my prescribed pain medicine, just some Tylenol for the first 4-5 days. The effects of the anesthesia were rough for me--muscle pain all over my body--but it passed by Day 4 or 5 post-op. Considering that I'm over 20 years older than I was when I had the tonsillectomy and wisdom teeth yanked out, I find it remarkable that I've bounced back so well.

The death rate from the lapband surgery is much lower than the more invasive gastric bypass procedures. If it makes you feel better, ask you doctor what his or her own death rate is. The answer will most likely be "zero!"