Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to be banded too

Hi all,

I am new to this great site. My name is Jeanette AKA Fluffin. I have struggled with my weight for years. I have tried diet, exercise, not eating etc and always put the weight right back on.

I am really considering the lapband procedure. I have Federal BCBS of Delaware so my first step I guess is figuring out if they will pay for this or not. If not then I have to figure out a way to tell hubby I want to spend some serious money:omg: .

I look forward to any suggestions/advice you all can offer.

Jeanette

Jeanette

Welcome to Lapband Talk. Your story is incredibly similar to the rest of us here at LBT. So we totally know what you mean when you say you have struggled with weight issues. For me lapband was just the change I needed and I have never regreted it. Here's hoping that all goes well with your insurance and/or telling your husband. keep us posted.

:) becky

I am sooooo happy with my band. Of course it has only been a couple of months, but I know I couldn't have done it without it.

good luck to you!@

I just pulled up the regs on the Federal BCBS plan and it claims they will pay the procedure if the BMI is 35 or higher with co-morbitities. I am taking BP meds Toprol XL for an irregular heart beat not necessarily high BP and Topamx HL for Migraines. Plus I have serious joint pain along with three surgeries for disk problems.

I found a surgeon in the area so I guess I need to start looking into making the first of many appointments.

What is the cost of this procedure without insurance?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Jeanette

Hi Jeanette, I think it is great you are considering the lapband. I don't regret it for one minute. Its been a long road for me. I am down 70 lbs but 34 are from lapband surgery in June. I'm considered a slow loser at 1 lb per week. Everyone is different.

Best of luck to you.

The average cost is about $15,000. Many of the bandsters have gone to Mexico because of the prices. It is about $7 to $12,000 over there. I went there myself. It was great. No problems at all. I would do it again if I had to. I am glad your insurance will pay though. That is much better than being out of pocket.

Thanks for the information Jules. Hubby is out of town this week. When he comes back I will let him know this is what I want to do. Hopefully BCBS won't give me a hard time. But if they do I guess that's what I get a bonus for each year.

Have a great week!!

Jeanette

Hello we also have fed. bcbs in colorado i looked into the cost the other day and they said its about 90% they pay so i asked what is my cost and it was just over $1000. Hopes it helps. find a doc and ask what there code for the lap band is and then call the insurance and ask them what your cost will be. They will tell you what the docs contract is for that procedure. callieanna

Callianna thanks for the information!! I have a number sitting next to the keyboard for a bariatic surgeon but have been afraid to call. I had a regular appointment scheduled with my family Doctor this morning but they called yesterday to reschedule.

I really want to go ahead and do this but I am afraid of another surgery. I had a C Spine fusion last January. I know this would be nothing compared to that but I am still apprehensive.

Have you had it done?

Jeanette

No, i have not had it done im waiting for my doc apt in 2 wks and i get a date. I have had lots of surgeries so i think this one will be no prob. I have done so much research that i feel confident that im making the right choice for me. I dont want this body any more, i have tried and tried to do it on my own. Sooooo im doing it as soon as i can, im ready to start a new life, a better, healther life, i want to live long, i want to see my kids live long, i dont want them to follow in my foots steps, so im taking the first step to change our lives for the better. Dont be afraid. We are all here to support you in what ever you decide to do. callieanna:welldoneclap: :) :) http://www.LapBandTalk.com/images/smilies/wl/welldoneclap.gif

I am going to make the call on Tuesday. WAHOOOOOO!!! All they can do is say that I don't qualify for the insurance to pay right? If that is the case then I will just have to go out of pocket.

I am waiting for more blood work to come back. Checking the thyroid (again). I honestly have not been eating enough to cause this weight gain. I didn't even do Christmas Cookies this year.

I know you must be excited about your appointment in a few weeks. Wish I were where you are know. The last few weeks will fly by so don't stress.

Talk to you soon

Jeanette

I'm so glad that you are going for it. I think the lap band is the best decision when it comes to weight loss surgeries. the others seem so drastic. i know some one that did go to the drastic side and yes she lost alot of weight but she also lost all her hair. so now she is slim and bald. lol. im glad im doing this, no Hair loss. lol hugs to ya:hug: callie

Fluffin, did u call today? I got my surgery date, yahhhhhh January 31. Im so excited. I have all my pre sugery stuff on Thursday and its done, i have a doc apt on the 12th. then its off to sugery. i cant waite for this to start a whole new life of eating and being healthy and being happy with myself. Good luck,:clap2: callieanna:smilingface (52):