Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet Question

I have a liquid diet question:

My date is set for 2-14-07 and is coming faster than I thought it would. My doc does not require a liquid diet pre-op however, the dietician reccomends you lose as much as you can so the liver shrinks... I

f I were to go to say, a GNC, what would be the product that i would buy if I were going to go on a liquid diet? Is it just three or so shakes a day? Id there other things to go along with the shakes, is it a calorie counting thing? Any help woud be appreciated.

Sean

Hi Sean-

Congrats on getting a surgery date!! And welcome to LBT.

I did not have a full liquid diet to follow. I was put on a high Protein, low fat diet for the week prior to surgery. I did basically an Atkins induction phase diet. I did lose like 8 pounds in that week...and had no problems with my liver size.

If you choose to diet by way of liquids, I think they could likely help you in GNC, or any health food /supplements type of place. I would look for some sort of shake or mix with high protein--it aids in healing, and also in hunger control--which will be an issue as you get into the liquid diet. Also watch the calorie count, and fat content. Finding one low in both is likely going to be an issue. It seems that they add to one in order to claim the other, and still make it palatable. Like they up the sugary sweetness so it still tastes good and they can claim it is low fat!! Or they do the opposite, and add the fat to improve taste so they can claim sugar free....just watch the labels!

Now, following surgery, the liquid diet will not be an option--it will be required, and necessary for healing properly. So while shopping around I would keep that in mind, and stock up a few things for that time as well. I bought Zero Carb Isopure at my GNC here, it is clear liquid (like Koolaid), sold in bottles like the Sobe drinks etc. It has 40 g. of protein per bottle. You will have a goal of 60-80 g. per day (maybe more, that was my recommendation from my Dr. but they ALL differ!). You might ask them for other suggestions, as new things come out every day!

I believe the biggest factor in shrinking the liver to be cutting the fat in your diet. I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time!), but it is how I understood it. I would imagine if your Dr. thought a pre-op diet necessary for you he would have prescribed it, but I also believe you wanting to do all you can to help it along is the BEST attitude you can have! Avoiding the last supper(s) big binge is hard, but sounds like you are ready to do it!!!

If you don't get any answers to your question from others who actually had the Optifast or other liquids, try bumping the question up later in the day, so others see it. To do that, just add a post to it. You will be able to find it under Quick Links, and subscribed threads. With this busy time of year, people are in and out at different times, so you will reach a new group of "been theres". You may also find some actual recommendations of liquids, in the Food section. And lastly, enter liquid diet or something of that sort in the search section...you should pull up all kinds fo things to research with, and possible people to get in contact with.

Good Luck to you---hang out with us, ask all the questions you have! Let us know a little about you!

Welcome!

Kat

hi sean,

i'm on a 2-wk pre-op liquid diet--with 5 Optifast shakes a day, sugar free Jello allowed, sugar free ice pops allowed (in moderation), up to 2 cups of vegetables a day (raw or cooked--no peas, corn or potatoes allowed)...this is day 3. it's feeling a bit easier than day 1 and 2, which were a little rough. also, you can have diet drinks (no sugar)--soda, snapple, things like that. no juices--too high in sugar.

i think you can get designer whey Protein at GNC and make drinks from that with sugar free drinks---but you can't add fruit---too much sugar. i think you can use skim milk.

if you have any questions, please feel free to write.

best wishes,

girlin

nyc

Hi,

Just adding my 2 cents. I was diagnosed with a fatty liver at my pre-op ultrasoud ::gasp::. I joined weightwatchers since it was recommended that I lose 10 pounds prior to surgery. Through WW I lost 18 pounds by surgery date. I was really worried that I would still have a huge liver since I did not have a pre-op liquid diet. My first question after surgery was "how was my liver?" and my surgeon said it was beautful and that I did a great job. I just tell you this so that you know the liver can shrink in the time frame you have without the torture of a liquid diet (assuming your Doctor did not order one-if Doctor says to follow a liquid diet, naturally follow his/her guidelines.)

GNC carries an excellent high Protein Shake. I think it has about 25 grams of Protein per serving when served with skim milk (1 cup). BTW, if you doctor said you don't have to do it, I wouldn't. Enjoy the time you have while eating regular food. The liver wont matter that much when he is in there. Good luck.