Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Friends, My name is Kimberly and I'm 43 years old from Chicopee, Massachusetts. I grew up in Mass, came from a loving home and had a good life. I've been heavy as long as I can remember. I was always much heavier than my girlfriends in high school who wore a size 4 to 6 I was wearing a size 13. As time went on I put on more and more weight. I'm the mother of 3 beautiful children and I always fell under that age old expression "I'm eating for two" So ultimately I put on quite a few pounds after the birth of each child. I found myself making excuses for my poor eating habits and lack of exercise, I convinced myself that I was just "big boned" and I don't look that bad. Until the day my grandson who is a blessing in my life called me "Big Grandma" that's how he distinguished his grandma's. I was big grandma and his other grandma was little grandma. God Bless him, that planted the seed to seek out help, I had to get honest with myself and take control of my life, before it was too late. I entered the Bay State Weight Management Program in Spfld, Mass in Sept 2012. I'm 5'2 and at the time I weighed 275lbs and and It's been the best decision of my life. I've elected to have the Gastric Sleeve and finally after much waiting I've received a surgery date, It's August 5th, 2013. The staff I've encountered on my journey have been fabulous, I've learned how to eat healthy foods and correct portions, to date I've been able to lose 57 pounds and quit smoking, which for me was one of my biggest challenges. I'm so very grateful for every step of my journey. It's been a wild ride and I know I have a long way to go. I'm super excited about the surgery, but admittedly a little scared. I'm glad there is a site I can go to share my thoughts and feelings and see other's experience's and journey. I look forward to getting to know some people here and hopefully making some new friends who can relate to this experience. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Good luck to you, I am certain you'll never regret your decision!!! Go get a disposable camera and have someone take your picture the day before or the day of surgery. Every month on your surgery date, have your picture taken. After the one year anniversary picture, take the camera and have it developed!!! It's a "wow" moment, laying all those pictures side by side and seeing your transformation!!!! A really fun thing to do!!!

Hi Kimberly! All the best to you. August 5th will be here before you know it.

Great job, Kimberly! Losing weight AND quitting smoking - that takes some willpower. I'm very proud of you. I haven't got my surgery date yet but this web-site is absolutely the BEST for getting all your questions answered and getting support from people who really care. I LOVE the camera idea - I've got to put the disposable camera on my shopping list. Keep us posted!

Good luck to you, I am certain you'll never regret your decision!!! Go get a disposable camera and have someone take your picture the day before or the day of surgery. Every month on your surgery date, have your picture taken. After the one year anniversary picture, take the camera and have it developed!!! It's a "wow" moment, laying all those pictures side by side and seeing your transformation!!!! A really fun thing to do!!!

What a great idea! I never thought of that!!!

Welcome Kimberly - you will love these forums, everyone is very supportive

Hi Friends' date=' My name is Kimberly and I'm 43 years old from Chicopee, Massachusetts. I grew up in Mass, came from a loving home and had a good life. I've been heavy as long as I can remember. I was always much heavier than my girlfriends in high school who wore a size 4 to 6 I was wearing a size 13. As time went on I put on more and more weight. I'm the mother of 3 beautiful children and I always fell under that age old exp<b></b>ression "I'm eating for two" So ultimately I put on quite a few pounds after the birth of each child. I found myself making excuses for my poor eating habits and lack of exercise, I convinced myself that I was just "big boned" and I don't look that bad. Until the day my grandson who is a blessing in my life called me "Big Grandma" that's how he distinguished his grandma's. I was big grandma and his other grandma was little grandma. God Bless him, that planted the seed to seek out help, I had to get honest with myself and take control of my life, before it was too late. I entered the Bay State Weight Management Program in Spfld, Mass in Sept 2012. I'm 5'2 and at the time I weighed 275lbs and and It's been the best decision of my life. I've elected to have the Gastric Sleeve and finally after much waiting I've received a surgery date, It's August 5th, 2013. The staff I've encountered on my journey have been fabulous, I've learned how to eat healthy foods and correct portions, to date I've been able to lose 57 pounds and quit smoking, which for me was one of my biggest challenges. I'm so very grateful for every step of my journey. It's been a wild ride and I know I have a long way to go. I'm super excited about the surgery, but admittedly a little scared. I'm glad there is a site I can go to share my thoughts and feelings and see other's experience's and journey. I look forward to getting to know some people here and hopefully making some new friends who can relate to this experience. Thanks for taking time to read this.[/quote']

Hi Kimberly, I line in Chicopee, MA, too. I have a surgery date at Baystate on July 15, 2013. I start my liquid diet tomorrow.

Hi, Kimberly!

I'm in Massachusetts, too--down south in New Bedford. I'll be having my surgery on July 1st. Welcome to the forums; you have made so much progress already, I know you're going to be a successful sleever!