Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GERD- Does it get worse?

So I had my first consult with the surgeon yesterday and for the most part it went really well. The only thing that stood out and made me think twice is the surgeon said that acid reflux (GERD) can get worse with the sleeve. And worse yet, if it gets too bad the only way to fix it is to go full gastric bypass. I really don't want the bypass, I feel that it is just too invasive. I don't like the thought of completely re-routing my insides. So, my question is to those who had GERD prior to surgery, did it get worse? Did anyone have to go full bypass after? I take an acid reducer everyday as it is and the surgeon said I would have to continue that. I will have to take it even with out the sleeve, so that part doesn't bother me. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!!

I was put on Nexium a week before the surgery and I have had NO GERD symptoms since I started taking the pills. I am day five post-op and still have no problems.

I had GERD before surgery, but took zantac everyday and had no issues with heartburn or reflux. After my surgery, my dr put me on pepcid 2x daily and starting about a week after surgery, I had RAGING heartburn everyday, all day. I kept a bottle of Maalox in my hand constantly and I'd drink a bottle a week. I called my dr's office several times and they kept trying to give me "tips" to fix it but I finally just said the Pepcid by itself is NOT working. I was totally freaking out thinking I'd have to go the bypass route eventually, but my dr had me add 1 Prilosec a day and I'm not even kidding a little - the FIRST morning I took it (which was yesterday) I had ZERO heartburn...nothing, all day! I haven't had any today either. It's the answer to a prayer!! I was miserable for 3 and 1/2 weeks, felt like I took a 2nd job as a fire-swallower. But now - oh the relief :D And there are PLENTY of other things they can try as well before you would have to go so drastic as do to a total bypass. So don't sweat it right now, and know that if you do get heartburn afterwards, it most likely can be handled with meds. If one doesn't work - there are plenty more to try! Good luck!

I was taking an over the counter prior to surgery. In the hospital the doctor started me on a prescription to take every day for the first 30 days. I have not had it at all in 7 weeks (knock on wood!). It has been much better. I am sure the fact I was eating all the wrong things before but prior to surgery I would get it the worse when I was not eating. Definitely much better now for me.

I never had any issues prior to surgery. I came home from hospital with RX for Prilosec 1x day. I did have insane heartburn the 1st 4 days. My RN told me that the Isopure Protein Drink is a major cause of heartburn. So just be prepared if you are going to use that the first few days. After I got onto full liquids, I could take my regular Protein Powder drink and it has significantly subsided to almost nothing. I just had my first post-op appt with surgeon and he did mention the conversion to full bypass. He said in all his surgerys only 2 did he have to convert to bypass. But he ok'd me to take the prilosec 2x day if needed, but so far I have not. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for all the responses! I am happy to hear that it is still possible to have success even with GERD. I am already taking daily meds, and will for the rest of my life with or without the sleeve. I just don't want to end up with an ulcer. I know that weight loss can help GERD, and also I won't be eating a lot of the foods that trigger it now.