Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psoriasis & the new band

Does anyone out there have psoiasis? I have had a mild case since high school. Since I have had the band, I am breaking out all over with painful spots. I also have moderate to severe scalp psoriasis, which was almost totally gone before the surgery. If anyone else has psoriasis, do you have any suggestions on how to keep this under better control until my recooperates from the shock of surgery?

I have it but have not had any major breakouts except one. My skin just all sluffed off one day on my shoulder after being really dry for several weeks then wouldnt heal. I went to the docs and got this great cream that worked really well called Dovonex. My doc told me I have the kind where any cut I get can turn into a breakout, so I am careful not to get injured ofcourse.

My husband has killer psoriasis. His NEW dematologist uses a three-fold approach. He usues a topical (Dovanex, I think) on a daily basis, then he goes to the tanning place three times a week (he started with just a couple of minutes and is up to about eight, I think), and he injects himself twice a week with a miracle drug called "Embrel." It is highly expensive...like $2500/month...but the insurance pays for it because he has psoriatric arthritis inside of all the places that he has psoriasis on the outside.

It has made a HUGE difference in his life. I hope you can find something that works as well for you.

My friend has the same problem, only hers is stress induced. She uses a product called H2Ocean, it is canned sea Water that has been purified. SHe swears by it. The only place we can get it here is tattoo shops and Hot Topic, it is sold for aftercare for body piercing, but works great for skin problems. Hope this helps. ~Mandy

Ever since I have had children I suffer with psoriasis. It started for me on my scalp then as the years passed by I now have it on my legs and arms. I also use Dovonex oitment works better then the cream and I use ovlux foam for my scalp. I have had a Tummy Tuck so on my scars I also have it. Don;t no why its attracted to scars but even my tattoos are infected with it. Apperantly the doc says I have a mild case of it but to me its more than that. I work in a hospital and have seen some pretty nasty cases of it and it scares me that mine someday could look like that. Wish everyone good luck.

I have psoriasis as well and also noticed that after my recent banding I broke out on my hands. I have had it there before but before surgery it was healed, after surgery it flared up. I am guessing it has something to do with all the milk I am drinking (on liquids) but I could be wrong. I will have to break down and get some Dovonex as well. Ugh.