Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got home from the hospital

Got home about four hours ago after 3 days in the hospital. Had a few complications with the staff but now it's all up to me. I had a few questions about the directly-post-surgery phase.

I can't get past this full feeling (I'm still belching a lot from the air bubble test) and I can't tell the difference between me being full and just having gas. Are there any tips for getting past this or telling the difference?

What are your favorite ways to sleep post-surgery? I got a lot of severe back pain in the hospital (I was in recovery for 4-5 hours instead of 1, leaving me on the hard gurney) and I've tried both on the back with a ramp of pillows, and on the side with a support pillow under the stomach.

What were your favorite first exercises? I have 2.5lbs weights but my stomach seems a little saggy already, so I wanted to get on that ASAP.

I've also heard that the recovery goes faster each day. I'm in a good amount of pain, but how long should I expect that?

Thanks everyone <3

Congrats and welcome home! I'm 5 days post-op and am doing great; exhaustion is my only problem. I have been able to sleep in bed, on my recliner...everywhere I used to! I was able to start getting my minimum Fluid and Protein requirements by Day 3. Just listen to your body and rest...everything else will follow :)

I am post-op day 8 and I have been sleeping sitting up on the couch (do not have a recliner) because in bed even though I prop myself up with pillows, I seem to slide down and wake up with back pain. I think the fabric of the couch keeps me from slipping so it has been more comfortable to sleep sitting up in the living room. I tried seeping on my side once and it was extremely painful for me. My pain dropped significantly by day 3, except I have one incision that really bothers me, the other four are fine. I haven't even thought of exercise yet- my doc told me it would be 4-6 weeks before I could do anything but walk.

I cant sleep on my back because of back problems and boy did I get tired of only sleeping on my right side. Finally on day 8 or 9 I could lay on my left. I'm hoping when I weigh less I can sleep on my back.

I only had one bad episode of pain and that was about 30 hours after surgery. My main issue was intense headaches. Sorry to hear you are still having pain.

I didnt feel constantly full unless I tried to eat or drink. It was very hard for me to remember to go slowly that first week. I would fill my mouth with Water but usually remember to only let a tiny bit go down at a time, sometimes I fogot and tried to swallow it all which was painful. I still can not get anywhere close to 64 oz of liquid in at 2 1/2 weeks.

All I found for gas was walking and taking simethicone (like gas-x). Even then there were times I just lay down and waited for it to get better which would take an hour.

I have not exercised beyond walking and I am still so tired I only walk 1 and 1/3 mile a night.

I am 3 wks out and the gas just went away yesterday. I almost had a party just for that! As for sleeping I can now sleep on my side but my belly button hurts still from the surgery! I use a pillow to on my side. I have read about people already sleeping on their stomach and boy I can't wait. I keep reading about people drinking their there shakes like nothing and getting in liquids but its not like that for me. I want to drink but its not happening. I called my NUT and she said she doesn't care if I eat but MUST STAY HYDRATED so I am doing my best so every night I send her a e mail about how much I am drinking. As for food my relationship with that is over. I just can't even think of eating anymore. I push myself to eat at least 2 spoons every other day. The hardest thing part for me is to drink or remind myself to drink. Remember people will post how they are doing but you have to get to know your body again just like its getting to know you now. It's a new relationship for you and your stomach so don't worry about or compare yourself to anybody. I hope all goes well for you!

All of your responses are very helpful! I'll definitely focus on responding to my body, but keep your stories in mind. :)

I'm a tummy sleeper, and strangely enough, it felt good to me to sleep on my tummy again, and my doc said it wouldn't hurt anything.

Also, exercise is off the list for 6 weeks! No lifting! You will lose enough weight over the next 6 weeks you can worry about toning later!

Last night I alternated between my back and my side, but this morning I took a nap on the couch on my side. I can't manage the belly yet (too sore).

hey gratz on ur surgery im about a week in other than my belly button still healing i think everything is going fine Protein Shakes and g2 is getting easier to down just dnt over do it just cause it feels ok doesn't mean its completly heal but gl and welcome