Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Magic Bullet

Hey, does anyone own a Magic Bullet? I've seen it on TV and in Walgreens and was wondering if it was worth the money. Also, if you happen to already own this item, do you take it to work?

I bought a Magic Bullet right after I was banded. It worked great, but wore out in about 6 months. Almost everyone I know had the same luck with theirs - 6 or 8 months seems to be the average lifespan.

At Wal Mart I found a Hamilton Beach personal blender. It cost less than $10 and works just as well as the MB. I wore that one out, too (in about 6 months), and just purchased another one. I figue it's a better deal - $10 twice a year as opposed to $60, twice a year.

Thanks, Carlene. The Magic Bullet is probably not a cost effective purchase. I have an Oster blender, but it seems like such a hassle to pull it out. Maybe I'll look into that Hamilton Beach personal blender.

I love my Magic Bullet. I bought it in June of 2005 and have had no problems whatsoever. I use it every day for my shake, and then sometimes for other stuff, too. I got rid of my huge, monstrous blender and haven't looked back :-)

The customer reviews on the website for MB's are for the most part negative....and their so-called customer service is non-responsive.

Like Carlene, I went with the HB personal blender ($14) I've used it twice a day since last March and it's still going great.

I also have a little Black/Decker chopper that I grind my meat with for chicken/ham salad...it was about the same price. It has held up well and it much easier to clean than a food processor and works better than other choppers I have had.

If you have the Oster... have you seen the Oster Blend n Go cup? That might be a good option... utilize what you have and get the mixing in the cup bonus... (I found it on Amazon... )

I got the Bullet right before surgery. It was a godsend to get me thru the first month. Now I use it less often, but I still love how easy it easy to clean up and create individual shakes. For me, it's way easier than a traditional blender.

I have a magic bullet that I purchased in Sept 05. Used it very rarely til my surg May 06. Since then, I have used it often. I used it daily for the first 4 months post op and still pretty often. I have not had any mechanical problems or anything.

I found it quick and easy to clean and I like the "blend and Go" feature of blending and then capping. I still use it to take chicken salad to work or other one cup dishes.

Now...I didn't like the juicer feature on it....could never get it to work right.

A little off the subject- but I love my Quisinart small food processor. 3 cup size.

Chops stuff really small to band friendly size (onions, peppers, etc.)

After a fill I live on meat or chili blended in the Quisinart. So easy to clean and stores in small spaces.

Is the MB a juicer as well?

I bought one the day after Thanksgiving at Kohl's for 39 bucks. I like its size. I use it more than I did before with the regular size blender because it seems like less of a hassle now. I haven't owned it long enough to tell you about its lifespan at my house. Even at 39 bucks, I think it is a bit pricey. But so far, I like it.

I just got one for Christmas! So far have only made smoothies for the kids, but it worked great for that. I want to make some ham salad from the leftover ham from Christmas dinner though. What are some of your favorite things to make besides smoothies?

258h/248s/231/c/140g

Banded Nov. 30, 2006

Pueblo, CO

Dr. James Smith

A little off the subject- but I love my Quisinart small food processor. 3 cup size.

Chops stuff really small to band friendly size (onions, peppers, etc.)

After a fill I live on meat or chili blended in the Quisinart. So easy to clean and stores in small spaces.

Is the MB a juicer as well?

My sister gave me my MB last summer before I was banded. I love this thing! No it is not really a juicer, although it hints that it can do that. The motor is not powerful enough for that; I wound up buying a Jack Lalane juicer that I also love.

The MB is great for Protein drinks, but came in really handy when I was in the mushies stage. That's where I figured out that I could have almost the same dinner as my family. All I had to do was put in the meat, veggies and starch (sometimes), add hot Water, blend to "mush", and pour it into a crockery cup. It works better to have a cup that no one can see through. Add your spoon and you can sit at the dinner table like people and eat what works for you. Because I got a great deal of my Protein in this way, I was seldom hungry between meals.

One caveat I had to introduce at the family table with my kids is that no one is allowed to comment on the color and/or texture of my meal.

So the MB is very versatile, while it is more costly than the HB, I think it can do more things.

Best wishes,

Jo Ann

I bought a Magic Bullet prior to surgery and am enjoying it so far. A regular blender would work just as well I imagine! I like that fact that it doesn't take up much counter space.