Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me convince people Mexico is safe

Ok I am writing this post to show my parents and my husband that Mexico is a safe and GOOD option for weight loss surgery. My parents are in the medical field and I know when they find out I want to go to Mexico they will just completely count it our without finding out more about it, they already freaked out when I told them I was going to California for the Surgery. I was hoping to have this link set up where I can come directly here and have them read s few peoples first hand experiences having surgery in Mexico. Any information would be great, how much you researched, anything about the trip, the surgery itself and how your recover was there in Mexico, outcome after returning home. Also feel free to copy and paste other posts you have already written about your experiences or post the links to your post. Thanks SOOOOO Much!!!

I'm in the same boat as you. My insurance won't cover any type of WLS so I'm researching Mexico, too. I'm looking into Dr Ortiz at OCC in Tijuana and Dr G. Alvarez. Have heard good things about both, but need to decide if I'm going to go through with it! My husband thinks I'm crazy but after showing him their websites and testimonials, he didn't think I was as crazy:)

Researched it for months, found the right Doctor and US based company to coordinate everything for me. Now on pre op diet, fly out to San Diego Monday morning will be picked up by our driver with a lighter me, heading over the border for same day surgery in TJ. Very excited, going alone, not scared at all. Be back home next Friday. Will post my experience when I return home:)

I thought my family would think I was crazy too. I researched and talked to my doctor. My doctor gave me his blessing...after that all was good. I sent this site to my kids to read (they are both about 30)..Hubby no problem either. I printed out all the info I could find to show my doctor.

I've had several surgeries in MX, my oldest daughter has been once for lapband and having revision in MX this fall. My other daughter had lapband in MX and she has insurance that covers revision here in the states, but she prefers to go with our surgeon in MX because of experience and stats. I researched surgeons here in my area and they didn't meet my criteria or expectations like most MX surgeons do

I spent a year researching Mexico in case I was denied by my insurance, and sure enough after all was said and done... DENIED, so I made the decision to go to Mexico. I went through ready for a change with Dr Garcia.

I could not have asked for a better experience and would not change my decision for anything.

As much as I would have liked to stay home and be 5mins from my house and 2yr old, it was not an option.

If I had the surgery here, I would have been released to go home the next day. I was so not ready for that. In Mexico I spent 2 nights in the hospital and had an extra 2nights to recoup in the hotel! It was exactly what my body needed. Everyone was so caring an helpful and I didn't feel like just another number like I sometime have felt as a patient in the states. I had 3 leak tests performed on me as well there. Here the Dr I was originally going with was so "confident" in his work that he didn't even think that one was necessary. That's a scary thought.

The amount of money I spent in the entire trip air and all was still less then my out of pocket expenses after insurance if I was to stay here.

I had a friend traveling with me, that was with me every step of the way, even staying in the hospital with me. And she was kept in the loop with every step the doctor took. My care was amazing!

Had my surgery in Mexico. Used an American Based company with a great BBB approval. Doctor was awesome, we still email each other now when I have questions. Hospital and staff that I came in contact with spoke English.

There are good places other there. If you would like more....just inbox me.

Good Luck with your search!

Here is my play by play account.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/74149-dr-aceves-mexicali-and-me/

My mom was one of the biggest naysayers about Mx WLS and she is the first to sing the praises of Dr. Aceves and crew.

Good luck to you.

Gibson_girl is on here also.

You can also go to youtube and find video testimonials that will often even show you a tour through the hospital.

Also once you choose your doctor, you can find others who used him/her and contact them directly. I've spoken with prospective patients over the phone before about my experience.. I talked to one girl's mom even in order to help alleviate concerns she had.

My dad said absolutely NO when I first brought it to his attention. But I didn't give up I showed him my research and like within a month of constant tears and arguments lol he finally said yes! I'm having mine in puerta Vallarta to make him feel better, he didnt think Tj was a good place to go. So now I am two days away from my surgery I'll keep you posted. I started a YouTube page aswell I'll be blogging while I'm there I'll show the hospital and all that good stuff! These doctors are good trust me, some of the best doctors are Mexico. It's not like they train in tents or something they to go to universities some even study in the US before they go back to their roots! Do research on the doctors their is also ppl on YouTube who blog about their experiences and good luck hope your parents understand that this is life changing and for the better!

I had mine in TJ. What a great experience. A driver picked us up from SD airport and took us to the hospital. TJ was clean and not scary at all. The hospital was clean and the staff was nice, professional and spoke English. My coordinator who is from the states was there as well which was nice to have someone I had been in contact with for months before the surgery. I stayed two nights. My sister brought her laptop and tons of movies, unless you want to watch Spanish tv. After I was discharged the driver took us to a hotel then picked us up a few hours later and dropped us off at the airport. Ask for a wheelchair so you don't have to do too much walking only days after surgery. It was a great experience. If you want the company and surgeon name pm me. My recovery has been great. My coordinator called me after I had been home for a few days and will call again after my month mark. Good luck!

You are welcome to read my blog all about selecting a surgeon in Mexico, travel, and surgery experience, etc. Hope it helps! Tried to include a lot of detail in hopes of helping others.

I would gladly go back for surgery in Mexico. A very good experience.

Blog www.hoosierfatty.wordpress.com