Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Affordable Health Care Act…anyone?

I am hoping to get some information about the affordable health care act in regards to weight loss surgery, I am not familiar with this at all. Here is my story in a little nutshell. I was all scheduled approved and ready for surgery, one week before my surgery date I was denied and told I should have never been approved and it was their mistake. I have been researching MExico but do not have the funds saved up and honestly it would take me a few years to save up that much money (I am a mother of three and live paycheck to paycheck) I am been looking into financing but my credit is not great. I got approved with a medical financing company but need over $2000 still for a deposit, I can probably come up with $1000 in a reasonable amount of time and then borrow the other $1000 from my parents (if I can get them on board for going to Mexico) but I was just reading a little bit and was wondering if there is any chance that weight loss surgery would be covered when this affordable health care act kicked in. I live in Colorado, I saw there were already certain states that were going to be excluded but does anyone know about this or know how I can find out more information about this? THANKS!!

No state will be excluded from the AHCA, some states have chosen to not do their own administration of it. For those states, you will be able to use the NHCE (National Health Care Exchange) Open enrollment begins Oct. 1 for coverage to begin Jan 1, 1014.

It will depend on the type of coverage you purchase. I believe you will purchase, if you qualify or don't have it though your employer. I could be wrong but that is how I interpreted it. Some of the cost, which could be covered by subsidy.

Hope it helps.

You would need to ask specific questions on coverage when/if you use the exchange.

I don't know for sure, but since it is just going to be like Medicare for everyone, then I would assume very little would be covered. Even the author of the Affordable Care Act is now saying that it is a train wreck.

It is not supposed to be like Medicare. You will be purchasing from major healthcare providers, Atena, UHC and the likes. You are supposed to be able to buy whatever level you want to pay for, be it catastrophic or full coverage, it's up to you.

The president will be participating in it for healthcare for his family. Congressional aids are participating. Funny though, Congress excluded themselves from it. They will still have their private insurance that they currently have. Hmmmmm.....no judgement there! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree Joe, it is going to be a trainwreck. Man, I hope it's covered! :P

I don't know if this would provide you with any assistance, but check out the information on this website for a possible grant. It's called: weight loss surgery foundation of America

www.wlsfa.org

I found it the other day while searching Internet for surgery financing options.

It is not supposed to be like Medicare. You will be purchasing from major healthcare providers, Atena, UHC and the likes. You are supposed to be able to buy whatever level you want to pay for, be it catastrophic or full coverage, it's up to you.

The president will be participating in it for healthcare for his family. Congressional aids are participating. Funny though, Congress excluded themselves from it. They will still have their private insurance that they currently have. Hmmmmm.....no judgement there! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree Joe, it is going to be a trainwreck. Man, I hope it's covered! :P

It's far from Medicare and welfare. If you don't have insurance coverage now you will be required to purchase it. If you don't you will be fined. Depending on what you can afford will dictate what they cover. AHCA will most likely cover well care, medical necessity and emergencies. Nothing is free or cheap when it comes to insurance

Not to turn this into a political discussion, but the President saying he and his family will participate is very misleading. The President has a private physician on staff. The White House doctor has an office inside the White House. He or she also oversees a staff which is typically composed of five military physicians, five nurses, five physician assistants, three Medics, three administrators and one IT Manager. This is for the President, the VP, and their families. They also handle visitors and guests if needed. Ex-presidents get free medical care as well from Military hospitals

Congress enjoys a similar benefit. There is an Attending Physician of the US Congress and his staff. They pay $503 annually for all the care they receive. Laws are for the people, not the lawmakers.

All that being said I pay $515 monthly for my insurance and I'll be going to Mx because they don't cover WLS. I also see many folks from Canada heading to Mx. I don't have anything specific, but I can't imagine WLS under the AHCA will be easier, faster, or less expense than it is today.

And you will be able to shop around for the policy/plan you want.

And you will be able to shop around for the policy/plan you want.

Can't you do that now?

Can't you do that now?

You can't yet. The states that are going to run their own exchange are building them now. They have to up live by Oct. 1

You can't yet. The states that are going to run their own exchange are building them now. They have to up live by Oct. 1

I can't go out and get my own insurance, if I wanted?

Yes, Bluto, you are right, it is somewhat misleading. The President of course is not going to choose a provider, I did say he will choose for his family, not himself. They will register with the exchange but of course they won't use it because they have access to the White House physicians. It is a political gesture. Pure and simple.

Congress did throw all their aids under the bus though, forcing them into it, but of course not themselves as I stated.

Most things enacted by congress make sure they are exempt from. Imagine, Dem or Rep living by the same rules and law as us little people! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

I can't go out and get my own insurance, if I wanted?

Sure, you can. Or If you have employer healthcare through your or hubby's employer for you and the ingrates, (yep, it's what I call my kids too) :wacko: it won't affect you at all.

We do have insurance. Well, .. I don't quite understand the whole AHCA. If someone can't afford to buy insurance now, how can they buy insurance when AHCA starts? Are the companies going to raise our rates to cover the discount rates for those who cant afford it? WAIT.. WAIT..

Nevermind. I'm probably opening a political can of ugly :D I agree.. Total trainwreck is coming

We do have insurance. Well, .. I don't quite understand the whole AHCA. If someone can't afford to buy insurance now, how can they buy insurance when AHCA starts? Are the companies going to raise our rates to cover the discount rates for those who cant afford it? WAIT.. WAIT..

Nevermind. I'm probably opening a political can of ugly :D I agree.. Total trainwreck is coming

The "idea" behind it is to be able for people to be able to buy an individual policy at group rates. Yes, some if not all for certain people, (not sure the requirements, income, family size? ) to get a subsidy to reduce the costs. States that participate in the exchange will be able to add administrative costs and re coup some of the subsidy they have to shell out. States that refused (such as good ole Rick Perry here in Texas actually screw the people of the state because now its just a cost that there is no way to re coup even part of it. The NHCE will be able to re coup but the states will still have to pay costs to participate. It's not optional, no matter what the state politicians want to tell the people.

Calling it a trainwreck may be an understatement! :blink: :blink: