Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abkin/Bertha support group meetings

Hi Sonia,

I'm really sorry there was no one at that meeting to share their LapBand experience!! I'd done that myself back in October at the same meeting and told them I'd be happy to do it again if they needed. Banding really does get short shrift: At the meeting I was at, Marco actually neglected to mention that the band is adjustable at all. I had to say that when I got up to speak.

There is indeed no question that the surgeons "prefer" RNY to banding, but if you look at it from their perspective it's easy to see why. It's the more complex surgery and gets faster results--they're surgeons, not social workers, and that's the sort of thing they like to do. Banding is more labor-intensive and less remunerative for them, so while it may well be the better treatment for the patient the surgeons are less likely to embrace it for their purposes.

From where I sit there is no "superior" surgery, they are just differerent procedures and one will fit each person's needs better. When you go in to see the doctor he will not try to convince you one way or the other unless you have clear contraindications for one or the other--if you have a preference let him know up front and it will save you both the trouble of comparing/contrasting.

Man, you've got me ticked now. I'm going to call the office and let them know, AGAIN, that I am willing to appear at any of those intro meetings. I've been told on several occasions that my talk in October was very helpful and many people mention it when they come to the office. Maybe I'll get a huge BEFORE picture of myself to take with me, since I'm not the skinny-mini they probably want for these meetings. Maybe that's why they didn't call me...hm...

Nancy, that's just Doug's nickname for himself. Dr. Bertha is giving him a second shot at life as a thinner person, hence "Take Two"!

amoro

i don't know which doctor you went to, but, bertha and abkin are usually the last wed of the month, you could always call the office where you go, and check the board here... i think there is a section for support groups... best wishes with the band... it was a great thing for me.... ro

Hey Bertha/Abkin groupies!!

Next Wednesday is almost upon us so I wanted to remind everyone of the support group meeting at 7:00 in the doctors' offices.

If anyone is interested, I have a winter coat that needs a new home. It's a really nice women's coat, hip-length, in a generous size 2X and in very good shape. Navy blue with a faux-fur ruff and plaid lining. And warm!

Someone with long arms would love it. I'm really tall and it fit me very well for a while. If anyone wants it just post here and I'll bring it to the meeting next week.

Just wanted to bump this to remind New Jerseyans and neighbors that the Abkin/Bertha support group is meeting again on Wednesday the 23rd at 7:00 p.m. At the last meeting I asked if patients of other doctors were welcome and the answer was a resounding YES. So even if you're not an Abkin/Bertha patient and you want to come, contact me directly and I'll give you the address.

Hope to see you there! ;)

Bumping this again to remind folks of the banding support group meeting on Wednesday the 30th of March at 7:00 p.m. in Florham Park. PM me if you're interested in directions. Hope everyone's enjoying the weather!