Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As a post op I can drink tap Water again and it tastes good without needing to enhance with flavor. This is huge. Those that are post op will truly understand what I mean. :)

Wow, how far along are you again? I can occasionally manage plain Water but only in very small volumes. It is the single most annoying thing I found since surgery. Well, that and heartburn.

If you're having heartburn, you should talk to your doctor about it. Most sleeved people are on an acid blocker.

I can drink tap Water, but not cold. The only way I can drink it is room temp.

If you're having heartburn' date=' you should talk to your doctor about it. Most sleeved people are on an acid blocker.

I can drink tap Water, but not cold. The only way I can drink it is room temp.[/quote']

I am on 40mg of prescribed omeprazole a day and am at my limit for heartburn meds. I just manage in between with exercises to increase my saliva flow and OTC antacids if it gets too much. There is little more they can do. I manage it well most of the time and have been looking into alternate therapies to see if that helps. I was on omeprazole prior to surgery so it is something I have had issues with for a while. I know it will likely get better with time but I am over a year out and not free of it yet. I am concerned about the long term effects of omeprazole and do hope this is not a lifelong situation for me.

That said, the sleeve is worth every heart burn episode and more :-)

I am on 40mg of prescribed omeprazole a day and am at my limit for heartburn meds. I just manage in between with exercises to increase my saliva flow and OTC antacids if it gets too much. There is little more they can do. I manage it well most of the time and have been looking into alternate therapies to see if that helps. I was on omeprazole prior to surgery so it is something I have had issues with for a while. I know it will likely get better with time but I am over a year out and not free of it yet. I am concerned about the long term effects of omeprazole and do hope this is not a lifelong situation for me.

That said' date=' the sleeve is worth every heart burn episode and more :-)

[/quote']

Have you considered a revision to bypass? This seems to be the best solution to Sleevers with persistent heartburn. It's dangerous to leave heartburn unresolved because of risk of Barrett"s Esophagus.

Wow' date=' how far along are you again? I can occasionally manage plain Water but only in very small volumes. It is the single most annoying thing I found since surgery. Well, that and heartburn.[/quote']

I am 11 months already! It seems like surgery was such along time ago, quite the distant memory. :) it took a while to enjoy any plain Water again. I have been flavoring like a fiend in the many months since surgery. However, last night I decided to try tap again. Pure and adulterated. And it worked!! My taste for plain water returns!! How exciting to be able to drink from tap again without flavor. :) buying the flavoring has really been expensive. I really only liked Dasani because both crystal light and Mio gave me heart burn after drinking all day. Dasani did not. However, the little squeeze bottles are between 3-4 dollars a piece and never ever have a good sale at the grocery store. :(

Have you considered a revision to bypass? This seems to be the best solution to Sleevers with persistent heartburn. It's dangerous to leave heartburn unresolved because of risk of Barrett"s Esophagus.

No, I would not consider a bypass. Like I said in my post, I manage it well most of the time. I would prefer not to be on omeprazole but it is what it is and i prefer omeprazole to bypass.

My reference to heartburn was only really in relation to being the other thing I do not like about the sleeve along with tap Water being icky, yanno, the thread topic ;-)

I am 11 months already! It seems like surgery was such along time ago' date=' quite the distant memory. :)[/quote']

Amazing, isn't it? I hit a year out recently and was just amazed at all the wonderful changes this surgery has bought about in my life.

I feel like the odd one. Everyone talks about this being so hard but Water (It doesnt matter what temp) is the easiest for me and its flavorings that are hard to drink because of sweetness of them.

I'm almost 8 months post op and still can't do plain water...especially tap. I still need I've cold beverages too. It still amazes me how different everyone is.

Amazing' date=' isn't it? I hit a year out recently and was just amazed at all the wonderful changes this surgery has bought about in my life.[/quote']

Yes, me too. I think good things just happen not only from out inner glow, but from out outer glow in a society that desperately needs happiness and cheerfulness around them. I also admit hat people are much more open to me now as a friendly, happy and, dare I say it, " attractive" individual. Wish society was not so keen on people needing to be "attractive," but that is just the way the cookie crumbles (sorry, bad attempt at WLS humor).

Yes' date=' me too. I think good things just happen not only from out inner glow, but from out outer glow in a society that desperately needs happiness and cheerfulness around them. I also admit hat people are much more open to me now as a friendly, happy and, dare I say it, " attractive" individual. Wish society was not so keen on people needing to be "attractive," but that is just the way the cookie crumbles (sorry, bad attempt at WLS humor).[/quote']

Is it attractiveness though or is it our happiness and the change in confidence that alters the way in which people interact with us? I made a comment recently to a work colleague when we were out for a drink about how more people hit on me now that I am thinner. He responded that it wasn't my new figure that made me hotter, it was the way I hold myself. It really made me stop and think.

Louise- moved my response into a separate thread called "societal judgement of 'attractive' and 'unattractive' people : a topic on human nature"

That said' date=' the sleeve is worth every heart burn episode and more :-)

[/quote']

You might talk to your doctor about changing your heartburn meds. You shouldn't be having those kinds if symptoms on medication. There are several different ones and 3-4 are generic. I had to change from omeprazole to Prevacid because it didn't work as well anymore.

You might talk to your doctor about changing your heartburn meds. You shouldn't be having those kinds if symptoms on medication. There are several different ones and 3-4 are generic. I had to change from omeprazole to Prevacid because it didn't work as well anymore.

Thanks for that. I had not heard of it but have checked and it is available here and government approved for free prescription. I have my one year follow up with my surgeon coming up and I will ask her.

I usually manage it well, I know what foods to avoid most of the time but it does sick to have to always have OTC antacids on hand just in case. Also, I do worry about long term effects of so much omeprazole even when it is working well.