Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you deal with the feelings of loss?

Janice,

I used to love to cook. Every year I would make 20 different kinds of Cookies and candy and give them away as gifts. I was always trying new recipes and even made my own bread and sweet rolls (NOT in a bread maker) However, as I put on the pounds, I was just too tired to put the effort into baking and cleaning up afterwards.

This year, for the first time in 10 years, I baked Christmas Cookies and candy. I made stuffed mushrooms and twice baked potatoes. I just had to throw out the mushrooms cause they didn't all get eaten and I didn't want to keep saving them. HOwever, they were fantastic and I made them. I ate 4! My family loved the cookies and I gave away a bunch of the candy.

You can still cook after banding. As a matter of fact, you might find yourself cooking much cooler stuff than before because you don't worry that the recipe won't be enough, you can focus on the great quality ingredients instead of filling food.

When I told people about my band, THEY were afraid I wouldn't cook anymore. I do all the Thanksgiving cooking for about 30 people. I've been writing my own cookbook for years. I love the food network.

I've been banded since March 06...I still love to cook...I still collect cookbooks...I still eat...I fixed Thanksgiving dinner...all the old tried and true favorites. The only thing that was difference was...I didn't eat a gigantic plate of food.

I cooked yesterday for Christmas.

I did have to send more leftovers home with people because DH didn't have much help from me for leftovers...lol!

The only thing I crave and truly miss is a big ol Subway sandwich.

Holidays and family meals...and going out to eat is more about the company and enjoying the time spent together...

Oh and a big plus...I wasn't totally exhausted and barely able to walk after all that cooking like in years past...instead of 3 days of cooking because I had to sit down so often, I cut it down to 2 days...it was alot easier on me!!

This was one of the hardest issues to deal with and can still be at times. I love cooking also and love the food network channel. I still enjoy cooking very much and my family still loves my cooking. I still eat what I cook I just eat less. My family eats band friendly now. One of the issues I am going through now is that when I am not even hungry my mind is still looking for a reason to eat. I am also an emotional eater and have been my entire life. I am taking it day by day, one day at a time and it is getting better. I hope it gets better for you also.

Dieta

Thanks for mentioning the grocery bill thing Edie. I never thought about my grocery bill going down because it just seems to always go up. This is a really good point though, I expect it does go down.

:biggrin1:

Thanks,

Janice

I still enjoy cooking since I've been banded. My Christmas dinner was a ham, lowfat Au Gratin potatoes, peas and tiny whole onions, and a sugar-free apple crisp. Even though I didn't eat any of it, I still had a good time preparing it and I was happy that my guests liked it. I challenged myself to find healthful recipes that would still taste good.

I have already seen some wonderful changes in my hair, skin, and nails since going on the high-protein liquid diet. I already feel healthier. My vision doesn't get blurry any more and I don't seem to be puffed up due to Water retention either. My blood pressure was even 110/70 the other day! My son got candies and other sugary treats in his Christmas stocking, but I haven't craved them at all (yet...)! :evil:

Maybe I'm not having as much depression over giving up the foods I was used to eating because I'm feeling so much better already. I went into this knowing that I had to change whether I liked it or not. It was just time to get the job done!

I was just banded, so what the heck do I know at this early date! You never know, I could just totally fall apart tomorrow and stick my head in a bag of cookies! :)