Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Changes Post op.

I have a supportive fiance' in regards to going through with the sleeve surgery. He knows I am anxious to have this done quickly, surgery date is June 19th. I have only let him in on my plans for 2 weeks thus far. That said, now he is worrying a lot today that I will not be the same person post op, that I will change. I reassure him that my life is exactly the way I want but don't want the weight to wreck it all for me. He is even worried about me being very irritable due to all the physical changes. How have others comforted loved ones that are very worried they will not get the person back they love.

You will have a lot of emotions the first 2 weeks post op. they say it is from your hormones flying all over the place. So warn him about this because you don't want to take what you say personally.

I have a supportive fiance' in regards to going through with the sleeve surgery. He knows I am anxious to have this done quickly' date=' surgery date is June 19th. I have only let him in on my plans for 2 weeks thus far. That said, now he is worrying a lot today that I will not be the same person post op, that I will change. I reassure him that my life is exactly the way I want but don't want the weight to wreck it all for me. He is even worried about me being very irritable due to all the physical changes. How have others comforted loved ones that are very worried they will not get the person back they love.[/quote']

You are going to change after surgery, there's no way around it. And you most likely will be irritable. It's just something you have to cope with. That doesn't make the surgery any less worth it. If y'all have a strong relationship everything will be fine and you'll only grow closer on this journey. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you do your research and know what exactly you're getting yourself into. I don't know how long you've been thinking about WLS but it seems like you're doing this really fast. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but some people do this on a whim and then regret it later. I had my surgery on May 28th and I can tell you I already know this is the best thing I've ever done for myself! Everything will work out how it's suppose to, good luck! :)

I can say this.... YOU WILL BE EMOTIONAL! I am not sure if its the pain killers or hormones but it happens for a couple of days maybe about a week but then it calms down. Was hard for me to do a lot of what I was told to do as far as eating and drinking. I didn't and still don't like to eat! I feel better when I don't eat mind you I only eat about a half of a spoon! I can drink about 5 oz now! I was sleeved on may 21. Do it together. Have a weigh date where you both see the progress together. Shop together. You pick and let him pick an outfit when you go shopping when the time is right! Just include him cause its not easy for anyone. I hope I helped.

Thank You everyone. That is some realistic information for me going forward. I know it sounds like I jumped on this fast. My identical twin sister went through the gastric bypass some years past. She had a lot of resistance with others not wanting her to get it. I supported her through her incredible journey. That is why I set my procedure up before sharing it. I wanted all to know that I did not want a democracy when it comes to my body. I had a lot of resistance from my then husband when I did an abdominalplasty years ago, which I am ever so grateful for the procedure and it minimized damages from pregnancies. I am happy I have support from my fiance' and I guess I will have to explain that I will change and will include him. BUT, I would hate how emotionally horrible I will be if I can't control my weight going forward. I let him know that would be more destructive in all ways and he seemed to understand that most. I really did like all your feedback to me. THX again.

For me - the first couple of weeks were emotional in the sense that my thoughts were kinda like a crazy person (I also have two small children). I knew that I sounded crazy but could not stop it. I wasn't all teary eyed. I was more just mad and kinda in mourning.

The next couple of weeks were difficult - as in frustrating - because I was learning about my sleeve. I warned my husband about it beforehand and even made the doctor explain the hormonal side effects.

Everything turned out fine. He was supportive and PATIENT and I am almost to the point of being happy w everything.