Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op question

ok, i'm 5 days out. I was banded on monday the 18th. This has been a painful experience but well worth it. I have had a lot of gas pains and I am stapled instead of glued, so I think i have more pain than I expected. Today I finally started to feel better, I could sit down without cringing, get out of a chair without yelling in pain. Gas is much better, but tonight I went to bed in my bed for the first time since SX. I lasted there about 2 hrs.

Now I have this weird lump think in my chest, I haven't eaten in hours, I had some Water when it started to make it go down but it won't. and about an hour ago I thought maybe I am hungry so i had 1/2 cup of skim milk. Pain still there, hurts all the way to my back. It's hard to explain. Anyone else ever feel this after surgery, should I be concerned. Almost feels like indegestion, which I had a few times when i was preggo, but why would I have indigestion, when i have had nothing to eat but liquids for almost a week now? Wish i had some mylanta to just give it a try.

I keep sneezing, could i have slipped my band already?

Sweethot, Get up and walk. Sometimes the gas pains trap in your upper chest sometimes feels like a heart attack or bad indegestion. It honesty does work. Pain meds might ease it a little also. But really walking and changing positions help. Try to sleep with your head slightly elevated. I am not banded yet but I do work on a surgery floor with banded and rny patients. I can tell you this helps them at the hospital and this is what we tell them if they call us once they are home. Hope this helps! Congratulations on your banding.

I think what you are explaining is pretty normal, but if you are concerned, there is no harm in calling your surgeon's office to check.

Try to drink as much fluids as you can, even if you don't "feel" like it (I found it really hard to drink the amount my Dr recommended in the first week or so). You need to avoid getting dehydrated.

And yes, walk, as much as you feel you can (don't over do it!!). Even if its just a few circles around the house or yard every hour or two. I found my pain dissipated a lot when I made sure I was doing this.

Good luck!

thanks for the info. it's now 5am, day 5 with no sleep! i'm tired.

I have been walking my house a lot, and walking my village everyday. I thnk that has helped a lot.

Maybe you'r right jack, I did take a gulp of Water out of habit, I sipped the milk very slowly but the water I gulped. My check is starting to feel better now, but now it's burning after i just sipped water again.

I know that getting th efluids in are so so hard! I just can't seem to drink that much, i'm so full after a few sips, i can do about 4 oz of water and tea at a time. seems as if there are not enough hours in the day to drink 2 liters.

Hi I live in SLC, UT but was banded in Blackfoot, ID with DR. Avila . I was banded on 12/07/06 so it has been almost 3 weeks and on mashed foods. Does anyone have any suggestions to thirst. I'm not suppose to drink anything 30-45 min. prior to eating or 1 hr. after but am just so thirst any suggestions?

<!-- / message -->

Hi I live in SLC, UT but was banded in Blackfoot, ID with DR. Avila . I was banded on 12/07/06 so it has been almost 3 weeks and on mashed foods. Does anyone have any suggestions to thirst. I'm not suppose to drink anything 30-45 min. prior to eating or 1 hr. after but am just so thirst any suggestions?

<!-- / message -->

I don't know maybe someone can help me too:help: , one time I was so thirsty after eating mashed potatoes, I drank Water but nothing happened. Is it possible I could dis-lodge my band?

the restriction on drinking is to allow for slower digestion; i learned that when you drink while eating (I love my iced tea!!!!) you are washing the food through your system before your body has time to register that you have eaten it!!!!! (makes sense) all of this process is a retraining of our bodies and brains;

hang in there and try ice chips - praying for my surgery in January

yeah, i'm so thristy when eating too and after, my mouth gets so dry. I don't wait 30-45mins. before though, i was told to wait 10 mins. because the Water goes right through the band, I am still on full liquids and some mushies, i've only had oatmeal and scrambled eggs. I can't believe i am full on one egg!