Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a Scope - Possible Band Erosion

I have had the worst week ever. At this point I don't know whether to believe my radiologist or my surgeons.

I have been vomiting a lot lately and stupid me never told my doctors. I finally told them and now I had to have the remaining 1cc taken out last Thursday. The first 1cc was taken out a month before because I could not eat anything. They thought it was too tight.

Last Thursday I went for an unfill under flouro. It took this man 45 minutes and lots of sticks to finally get the Fluid out. He said I had a lot of scar tissue and that the port keep moving away. So now I am black and blue. Normally the radiologist does not talk to patients and tell them what he was seeing, but he did not see a pouch and told me that the band was around the bottom of my esphogus. He said it definitely was not around my stomach. I told him I was scheduled for August 3rd for a endoscopy to see if the band was eroding into my stomach and he said the only reason for a scope was to see what damage was done to my esphogus because of the constant vomiting.

On Firday I went to my surgeons and they told me the band was right were it was supposed to be and that the radiologist had no right to talk to me at all.

Yesterday I went and picked up my xrays and the reports and sure enough the report says exactly what this man told me. I went to my primary doctor also yesterday because I was so upset and he read the report to my gastro doctor who said it sounded like the band slipped.

My surgeon called me last night and told me that the radiologist does not know what he is looking at because he is new at this

(not very comforting) and that the band is where it is supposed to be but that it could take years for a "pouch" to form. I never ever heard this before. Has anyone ever heard this.

Anyway, I am seeing my gastro tomorrow for a consultation and will probably have the endoscopy on 8/3. My surgeon said if the band is eroding, it will have to be removed (he'll have to catch me first) I am not giving up my band. He said they can remove it and six months later I can have another one put on. He must think I am independently wealthy because I don't think insurance would pay for it.

I was only banded on 3/17/04. How could a band erode so fast.

I am on liquids only until my scope. I am doing medifast.

I am so scared I can't even think. My doctor pretty much read me the riot act over the phone and told me if I don't have the scope he will help me find another doctor because he will not treat a patient who does not listen to what he wants them to do.

I thought band erosion was rare, but on all the sites I have been on it seems to be happening alot to people.

My internist says my BP is high now. He said it is because I am upset....ya think.

Anyhow, sorry for the very long post. I just needed to vent.

Maureen

Maureen, you have every right to vent! It would definitely help if everyone could get on the same page! Try to take care of yourself and try to keep calm (know that's easier said than done). This will be straigtened out (eventually). It would just help if you really knew what was going on! Sending calm, healing prayers your way...

Maureen

I'm so sorry for what you aregoing through. But

There is a very knowledgable woman on this board her name is Donali, I reccomend sending her an email and asking her , she just had her band removed from erosion and she knows so much about erosion. She is so sweet and kind , I know that she would be willing to help answer any questions for you. Just go into the members link and look for her name it shoud porvide her email or if anything else you can send her a private message...she may even read this post and reply herself. Keep your spirtis up...8/3 will give you the answers you need, you may not have anything to be concerned about.

Maureen, I'm so sorry you're having all this stress! You'll get your answers soon; until then, try to relax.

I agree that the radiologist doesn't know what he's talking about. I've seen my own band on fluoroscope, and there is no identifiable "pouch" when the stomach is empty. In his inexperience he may have been expecting to see a stomach cinched in the middle like an hourglass, and that's just not what it looks like.

It would be very surprising if you had any erosion this early in the game, I think. More likely--but still UNlikely in the grand scheme of things--is slippage. But from what you've said it sounds like that may be what's going on.

I have been vomiting a lot lately and stupid me never told my doctors.

OK, here's the lesson, everyone. DON'T VOMIT. And don't keep it to yourself if you are vomiting or PBing "a lot." Maureen, I hope and pray you don't have any damage to your band or esophagus. Please let us know the results of your scope!

Hi Maureen -

Alexandra is right - it is very unlikely that the radiologist has been trained on proper band placement, and unless he's worked with a lot of band patients and been specifically trained in where the location of the band is supposed to be, I would be more inclined to trust your band doc.

However, vomiting is the number one cause of slippage, so you very well could have slipped your band. Some people can have violent retching episodes with seemingly no ill affects, and others can have band problems from just one vomiting incident.

All bodies are different, so erosions happen at different rates, but the chance that your band has eroded is very small. Try not to worry about it and distract yourself with other thoughts/activities until you can have your endoscopy and know for sure.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Michelle - your words are too kind! :cool: Thank you.

Maureen,

I have no words of wisdom for you (thankfully the other ladies did!), but I just wanted to say my prayers are with you! Take some deep breaths, really work on relaxing. The 3rd will prob tell a lot, no use worrying until you know something concrete!

Best wishes to you!

Maureen, I am so sorry this is happening to you. Nothing is quite so frustrating and scary as doctors who do not agree.

I am wondering how much experience your band surgeon has. His comment that the band sometimes takes years to form is bizarre, frankly. I've never heard anything like that. The part of the stomach we call the pouch is formed the moment the band is filled (or prior to that if there is adequate restriction). Also, the comment about not having a patient who doesn't follow orders would be a little off-putting for me. I am not saying this to add to your anxiety at all. but it almost sounds as if you need a third opinion. Good luck. Hopefully you will have answers with the esophagram.

Nancy

Maureen,

I've had slippage. Others here have had problems too, so first of all, we understand your fears and concerns.

Secondly, good news! Donali, maybe you can back this up - but it is my understanding that erosion does not make your band tighter. actually, you begin to have NO restriction with erosion because the band is sitting INSIDE the stomach wall and no longer restricts it. So. I think for now, you can put that worry aside. You had restriction, right?

It sounds like there are some conflicting views on how your band should look on flouro. So those guys need to get their heads together and discuss that.

Often, with slippage, the band has moved downward and the anatomy changes. Your stomach has moved up inside the band and sometimes obstructs the opening so that you tend to vomit anything you may have taken in. Maybe you feel extreme restriction - which is really this occlusion of the stomach's opening.

I would be more inclined to think this could be your cause for vomiting rather than erosion.

Better news - it's possible to un-fill the band and allow it to rest awhile and occasionally, that's all that's needed. The band sometimes right's itself during this stage of resting.

If that doesn't happen, then sometimes slippage can be fixed with re-postioning of the band which may involve surgery. Either way you get to keep your band and move on with your journey!

I've heard of situations where these options weren't available, but it sounds to me like your problem is being addressed. You've gotten your un-fill which is really the most important thing to do. Are you now able to eat without vomiting? If so - this is a good good sign!

Hopefully, your banding surgeon is right and all is well. Please keep us posted!!

Just know that you are not alone - there are those of us here who have been right where you are with worry and fear of losing our bands.

(((((Maureen)))))

Leatha

What Leatha said. I did have my band slip. I was getting a lot of things stuck and was vomiting a lot. Two weeks of being unfilled fixed the problem.

Nancy

Thanks everyone for all your wisdom and advice. You make me feel so much better. It is very comforting. I wish you all could enlighten my doctors who at this point seem to be a bunch of idiots. I see the gastro today with my films, reports etc.

I have been told I am not allowed to try food until further notice.

I'm a little nervous trying food anyway. I so afraid I will eat like I did before the band. I am only allowed Medifast. I lost 5 pounds since Friday, but this is not why I had the surgery for the band. I don't think they are allowing me to eat at least until I have the scope on the 3rd.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders by just talking to all of you. I truly believe that you get the best answers from a person who was banded. Erosion at this point has been my biggest fear and I couldn't understand how after 4 months this band would be eroding because it was too tight. I think my doctors are trying to scare the heck out of me.

I feel so much better, Ican't thank you guys enough. In a very short time this has become my favorite board. You are all so warm and welcomed me to the family. Love you all.

Maureen

Maureen, I know this doesn't sound very sympathetic right now. But just think that 5 lbs. you've lost on the liquid is 5 lbs. permanently added to your "Gone forever" pile! Hang in there. I know the liquid part is tough. But remember it's temporary.

Please let us know what you learn today. I know it's tedious and maybe not even feasible. But if you're not satisfied with it, you might consider a second opinon.

How long has your doc been doing bands? Do you know?

I've got my fingers crossed for you!!

Just a little update of my dilemma.

I went to the gastro and he said on Tuesday he will see 1 of 3 things.

My band is partially resting on my esphogus (they now tell me my band is sitting on an angle.

The band is eroding into my stomach and must come out.

Everything looks fine, maybe still a little swelling and that maybe my band is placed too high for me and might need to be repositioned.

I have avoided all of my surgeons calls to me. I am really too upset to talk to him now. I will wait until Tuesday and find out what they say. I am praying my band is okay. I can take a surgery to reposition, but I will be devasted if the band is eroding.

I don't think insurance pays for a second band but I might be wrong. My doctor said if the band needs to come out, he can put one back in six months. I guess he thinks I am independently weathly.

Keep your fingers crossed for me guys. I need all the prayers I can get.

All of my digits are crossed for you, Maureen. I hope everything turns out OK!!!

How are you getting through the weekend? Are you still on liquids? Are you feeling OK, at least? I hope you're not suffering through all of this, on top of being so worried. :)

Take care of yourself, and try not to think too much about Tuesday. It'll be here soon enough. We're thinking of you!!