Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Me? With a personal trainer?!?

Well, I decided to do something I never in a million years thought I would do. I'm about to make an appointment with a personal trainer. (Just typing that makes me want to laugh, or cry, or something.)

I've been going to the Y about three times a week for the last several months, where I do a minimum of 20 minutes on the treadmill plus a Cybex circuit. Exercise is good, and there's no question that I am able to do more now (30 minutes at a pace of 3.7) than I could when I started (20 minutes at a pace of 3). Recently I upped the weights on the weight machines and was surprised at how high I could put them.

But I can't help thinking I could be doing better, more effectively, faster, and having more fun, somehow. I admit to being very frustrated now with the weight loss being as slow as it is. Most of the time I'm fine with it, but dang, I'm doing (almost) everything right and still the scale doesn't move.

So I'm going to engage a high-priced personal trainer just to see what advice I can get out of a session or two. Wish me luck! :cool:

Good Luck!!! I think it is a great idea. My boss at the B&B has hired them in the past and I think it really helped her get a clearer vision of what she should be working on. Teresa

So I'm going to engage a high-priced personal trainer just to see what advice I can get out of a session or two. Wish me luck!

I have this close friend that is a personal trainer. I am going to be talking to her about hiring her when I finally recuperate from this surgery. I too am at a stalemate of no weight loss. So I am going to see what she can do to increase my loss. I don't want to injure myself by trying to do too much and I am sure she will keep me in check.

I don't think it is crazy at all to ask for help when you need it. It is funny we never thought of doing it before being banded. LOL!! Well at least I didn't. I can't speak for anyone else.

Hi Alex,

Getting a personal trainer has been one of the best things I have ever done for my health. It was more than 8 years ago, but it gave me the motivation and encouragement I needed to begin enjoying and looking forward to working out.

I may not have the body to show that I work out 4-5 days a week, but I am so much stronger than I ever use to be and when my band kicks in, I know that my working out is going to help me shed the pounds quicker.

The best part was that my personal trainer back then is still my personal trainer (and darling boyfriend) now!!! :cool: :D :D He really pushes me to push my self and he doesn't let my whining and fussing get in the way of the workout.

I have learned proper technique and form, how to focus on the muscles and breath right. I have also learned how to spot heavy lifters and I shock the big boys in the gym when I can spot my man while he is bench pressing 300lbs.

I would recommend at least a couple of sessions and then maybe pick-up Muscle & Fitness Hers every once in a while for some extra tips to keep you motivated. This magazine is catered towards serious body builders, but I like the weight training tips and pictures of how to do each exercise. Weight Training for Dummies is also a good book.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

You go girl..I think it is a fabulous idea..I just started my exercising routine this week also..30 minutes a day swimming laps in my pool plus my 20 minutes each night of my 5lb weights with my arms...I'm interested to see if it helps with the wieght loss..I have been losing 1.5 - 2 pounds a weeks with minimal exercise since April..Let us know how it goes!

Well I'm glad no one is laughing! :D I never thought before of trying this only partly because I've always been so big. Mostly I just thought of it as a big waste of money--an extravagance for rich people. Anne, you've got it all figured out! I never thought of dating a trainer!!

With so little time to spare I figured it's important that I make the most out of my hour. I also want to really get the scoop on what my BMR is, if at all possible. According to FitDay I'm running a calorie deficit of over 1200 calories a day, most days, and that should translate to 2 lbs down a week. Hmmmm....

I'm also hoping it will do something for my mood. I've been feeling very blue lately--like most of the time for the last two months--and it was either this or buy a new car. That always cheers me up. :cool: Mid-life crisis? Pre-menopausal hormone fluctuations? Boring life? I don't know, but it's time to try something new.

I think it's a great idea Alex! I am scared to exercise in front of people at all, which make my exercise options pretty boring... treadmill...treadmill.... treadmill...LOL. I wish I could hire a private trainer to come to my home like Oprah does! I absolutely adore swimming but haven't done it for years due to my appearance... I can't believe I let weight stop me from doing something I love so much. ANyhoo... let us know how it goes!

Darcy

Step back, world, Alex is a'comin' ! I'm so proud of you! A personal trainer will help you get an even more efficient workout and show you how to prevent injuries. You go, girl!

Darcy, I'm with you. I haven't owned a swim suit or swam in years. I walk and ride bikes because I can still cover up the bad parts.

I really admire people like Lisa. I wish I had her guts! But her tummy looks better toned than mine.

Alex, congratulations on the trainer. I had one a couple of years ago. It helped me for as long as I was able to afford it. It kept me coming to the gym whether I wanted to or not.

And I think it probably will help your mood. I know I always feel better when I exercise regularly. Also, working towards a goal helps my mood and the trainer will help you with that. I just hope your trainer is a happier person than mine was. Mine would complain to me the entire time about how much she hated her job. It was a real motivator, let me tell you!

Had to laugh when you mentioned the car. I've been in the dumps recently, too, and I, too, was fantasizing about buying a new car. I'm not sure what I thought it would accomplish, but alas. . . I don't need a car payment.

Nancy

I chose the car......maybe I can tack a membership to the gym onto the loan!! LOL.

What is it about a new car? There's nothing like it to perk us up, is there? But I got talked out of it by my ever-sensible husband...our two cars are running fine and one of them is paid off. The other is more than halfway there, and getting it detailed would make it seem like new for a mere fraction of the price. Sigh...he's so sensible.

Nancy, if I get a trainer who is negative, I'm throwin' her back!! The last thing I need is to hear someone bitch about his or her life while I'm down on mine. :cool:

Nancy, if I get a trainer who is negative, I'm throwin' her back!! The last thing I need is to hear someone bitch about his or her life while I'm down on mine.

AMEN to that.

It occurs to me to ask anyone here who might have worked with a trainer: do you think it makes a difference whether the person is male or female? The form I filled out asked me if I cared, and I thought about it a minute and decided I didn't care. I'm much more concerned that the person take the right tone with me, that the approach be encouraging and informative rather than all rah-rah cheerleadery and falsely optimistic.

But now I'm wondering, maybe I should have thought it through more. All my life I've had an easier time working as colleagues with men, but when it comes to my medical professionals I've always preferred they be female--I guess I just figure they understand my body better. So which is this?

It probably doesn't matter because it will all come down to personality and approach. But I'm interested to see if any of you have a preference, and if so, why.

Alex: I wouldn't have a preference. It would come down to their approach to me. Their attitude and support is what is important to me. I have a male GYN. I would not be opposed to a female though if I could find one that I have as much confidence in as my current GYN. In the beginning it really doesn't matter to me the gender as long as they support me and I feel confident in their skills as a trainer.

Hi Alex,

I think that getting a personal trainer is a great thing as long as it is the right one. I went through 3 of them. They missed appointments and caused me grief until I met Paul at my gym. I took about 13 sessions and I feel more comfortable in the gym than I did before.

I am envious that you are very tall (5 11"), I am sure that you are looking flabulous at your present weight, but I certainly understand you desire to get below 200. I had to up my workouts to 4-5 times a week, since my weight loss is dramatically slowing down. The closer you get, the harder it gets unfortunately!

Babs in TX

334/208/170