Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

counting down the minutes

Guest swampspy

Guest swampspy

I finished lunch about 30 mintues ago and I am dying of thirst. I know a lot of you drink with meals or have no problem waiting, but I love to drink! ....well let me clarify........I like to drink boring stuff....I love to drink ice Water or ice tea and would drink it 24 hours a day if I could........and well if I always knew where a bathroom was all the time. I tried to drink a soda the other day and choked on it. I also tried to drink a slurpie and instead of getting brain freeze I got band freeze oh god it hurt.

I am staring at a bottle of Water on my desk and it is tormenting me.

This is probably one of the hardest things for me.

I was drinking a little while I was eating and I could tell I was not getting the best results so I has to quit all together.

I am super psyched though.........I was banded just a little over 3 weeks ago and I have already lost 15 pounds. 25 pounds total since my first visit to the doctor in May. I was very worried that this wasn't going to work for me but I it is and I am so stoked!

Hey Swampspy!

I have the same trouble... it doesn't bother me that much not to drink with my meal... but after I am really thirsty. I am getting used to it though!! When I did try to drink something too soon... I was immediately hungry again so haven't broken the rule again. I am almost 4 wks post-op and looking forward to the rules seeming like second nature! Congratulations on your weight-loss so far!!!!!

Darcy

I'm banded over a year and it's getting better, but it's still something I have to consciously work with.

My dr said drink all the drink you want BEFORE you eat, then just wait half hour to 45 minutes to drink after. To me, this still washes stuff through, but I've gotten to where that really doesn't bother me much. This past year has really mentally changed my attitude about being 'hungry' and feeling as if I HAVE to eat. It's just not that necessary anymore. Thank goodness!

I have moments, but this second round of liquids is really not bothering me nearly as bad as the first. I guess because I know it's all temporary and because the band has helped to adjust my 'stinking' thinking about eating - at least some.

You'll get better with practice, I promise.

Leatha

Guest swampspy

thanks for your experience, I am sure I will figure how to deal. I mean come on.........if that is so terrible then I should be happy. I am really fighting the urge to drink.........fighting and winning......chloe

It's a very hard thing to change the way you've eaten all your life.

I've had a hard time slowing down and chewing enough. I've been filled for 1 week and my fill kicked in yesterday at lunch. My band let me know in a hurry that it wasn't tolerating my bad habit of woofing down. And don't even think that a sip of Water will relieve the golf ball! When you really think about it, chewing longer lets us appreciate our food better. I don't know about ya'll, but I've become more selective. I'm not eating anything that doesn't taste really good to me. Know what I mean?

I was always carrying a big glass of ice Water around. But, now, I realize that I wasn't drinking as much water as I thought I was. I'm really having to push to get my water quota in -- drinking between meals.

Swampspy, Great Job so far!!!!

Sometimes we have to give up things to get other things. Being thirsty during a meal is SO worth it to me when I look at my resluts and the big picture. It will all be worth it in the end. So many of my girlfriends who are overweight tell me they could never have the band because they like their diet pepsi's or their beer or they cant give up drinking during a meal and my repsone to them is " then you do not want to lose weight bad enough" My friends and I have tried every diet known to man and none of us have been successful except for me NOW with my band. The sacrafices will all be worth it in the end. Just keep telling yourself itsall worth it! You can do it..

I've been banded for 4-1/2 months and I still have a hard time adjusting to not drinking with meals. I try to load up on Water before I eat and that seems to help a bit. The times that I did drink with my meal.....everything came back up. I learned my lesson.