Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long should it take to eat?

Hi everyone,

I'm 4 1/2 months post op, I'll usually drink 1 Protein Shake and eat two meals, or two shakes and one meal. The meal is usually between 4-6oz. I take my time eating it, between 1/2 an hour to an hour. Is this to long? I think I might be eating so slow, that the pouch is actually starting to empty and I'm able to add more.

What are your thoughts.:help:

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Mark

Did your doctor advise you to drink the protien shakes this far after surgery?

Mine was pretty clear that once I was was off mushies, no more liquid calories outside of skim milk.

And also, I was told that 20 minutes was long enough to eat, that beyond that some of the food does start to empy out.

I do know that there is a wide variety of advice and what is working for people out there also.

I don't drink Protein drinks unless I have to be on liquids for some reason. I portion my meal out on a small plate and eat slowly. It usually takes me 30-45 minutes to eat. It was taking me 1 hour, but I decided that was allowing me to eat too much. Until you get the hang of chew, chew, chew, and waiting between bites to make sure all is well, take the longer time. Once comfortable, make the meal in 30-45 minutes. My doc says if you don't have 45 min. to eat your meal, then drink a Protein Drink.

Most of the problems you hear about is because they ate too fast, too big of a bite, or was eating while driving the car. To me its better to eat slow than to have a PB.

I think if you keep your meal down to 30 minutes you aren't eating too much . Anything over that I think you are trying to trick your band. Good luck.

I do find that if I take ages to eat I can eat more. It does start to empty out of the pouch.

I have a bad habit of eating till satisfied, stopping, but not gettign rid of my meal. Ten minutes later I can eat a bit more etc.

Its never a big meal, still bandster size but I could eat leas than I do without going hungry kind of thing.

It hasnt mattered, I have 8kg to go to goal but I am not losing anymore so for me, its probably time to follow a few of these bandster rules.

:)

I still drink the Protein shakes because I was getting stuck at plataue's, I was in the 250's for over a month even though I was exercising everyday. Also in the mornings, most time's my band just won't tolerate solid food unless it's watery oatmeal, and that gets tired quickly. I think I will try to keep the meals at 30mins or under, depending on the meal. meats take longer of course, and get stuck the most. But they have the higher Protein levels. I eat alot of tuna, and crab.

Thanks so much for your input, it's greatly appreciated. It's nice to have other bandsters to talk to.

Happy Holidays Everyone,

Mark

322/240/200

7/22/2006