Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op and drinking way to much

I am 4 days post op and am so confused on what to "eat". I have been drinking ensure Protein Drinks, that are a Meal Replacement, not just Protein. I am not having any issues with drinking. I actually just drank a whole 14 oz bottle and as I was reading through my literature I am only supposed to drink 2 oz. Even if I drink 2 oz, 6 times per day, I will only get about 20 grams of protein in. I have not been full yet on anything and am drinking about 80 oz of Water per day. Any advise would be appreciated.

Have you tries drinks that are higher in Protein?

Not yet, I am just going by a list that the doctors office gave me. Is just Protein without the "meal replacement" ok?

Not yet' date=' I am just going by a list that the doctors office gave me. Is just Protein without the "meal replacement" ok?[/quote']

I would call your doctor or NUT and ask. Every doctor has a different plan.

EAS and premium from costco are great. You need to have the drinks high in Protein

I think you will begin to notice a difference when you start to have thicker liquids...if you....I cant say that I have felt full but I have signs of fullness like I start to do little burps/hiccups and I know to stop, based on group meetings

My dr said ensure, Atkins, boost, etc drinks 2oz 3x per day plus fluids...if u dont get the full Protein for 2 weeks you will be fine. I am 10 days out and am a lot more active than others at this stage (back to work at 5 days, back to the gym at 7 days, went to a concert at 8 days) so my dr allowed me some unflavored protein to add to my Water.< /p>

There's no such thing as being able to drink too much as long as its the right stuff. Once you get to more solid intake you'll have a substantial decline in the amt you'll be able to consume

thanks for the advise and encouragement.

Ensure has 11 gm fat, 50 carb, 18 sugar, and 350 cals

I think what most of us who wondered this same thing would agree on is getting FLUIDS first at this point in your recovery, and if those fluids get your daily amount of Protein, great. If not, the objective is not becoming dehydrated.... that is a far worse problem then hitting your daily protein goal.

definitely get your Protein up according to normal VSG standards but if your doctor has you on ensure maybe its for a reason? that calorie & fat count is high for so little protein. definitely call your doctor. that low protein has to be bad for your organs.

Ensure has 11 gm fat' date=' 50 carb, 18 sugar, and 350 cals[/quote']

Yes but if its what your dr tells you to do then you really have no choice...the stuff I am being told to drink nutritionally is not healthy...but I lost 20lbs in one week, do not feel tired at all, haven't had any bad side effects and am already back at gym.

I am 4 days post op and am so confused on what to "eat". I have been drinking ensure Protein drinks' date=' that are a Meal Replacement, not just Protein. I am not having any issues with drinking. I actually just drank a whole 14 oz bottle and as I was reading through my literature I am only supposed to drink 2 oz. Even if I drink 2 oz, 6 times per day, I will only get about 20 grams of protein in. I have not been full yet on anything and am drinking about 80 oz of Water per day. Any advise would be appreciated.[/quote']

Wow ya body is quite diff how long did it take u too drink it. Four dayz out I couldn't even get a 8oz Protein Drink in. I was hungry a lot tho but couldn't eat uggh. U will b ok tr glucerna vanilla they r very good all the other I try was nasty. They good for people with diabetes