Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is going to be a problem..I'm going to cry

I've said a few times that I can't start my 6 month diet until I get a negative on the cotinine test (insurance required) and last week instead of waiting the 30 days since I had taken a few puffs of a cig 2 weeks before my first appointment so I decided to order a home test to make sure ill pass and I did so I told my coordinator to make the test for this Monday..well tonight I went out to sushi with my aunt and she totally forgot I can't be around second hand smoke and lit up a cig while we were in the car and I didn't even notice..she had the window down but I'm still worried im not going to pass..tomorrow (Sunday) ima see if any stores local carry cotinine tests and hopefully be at peace but its soo hard to stay away from second hand smoke and I feel hopeless and like its unfair because I don't smoke but my family and friends do. I am going to be so disappointed if I fail:( not sure what happens if I do and if I can take another test

You should be OK. Press On!

Have you tried e-cigarettes? I LOOOOVE mine! I switched about 3 months ago to e-cigarettes, right before my LapBand removal. In consultation with my doctor, he told me that he's perfectly fine with me "vaping" nicotine liquid - essentially, I didn't go through the withdrawal problems many have when quitting smoking because I was still able to get the nicotine (which is what we're addicted to!). My doctor feels that nicotine will eventually be proven to be as safe as caffeine in our bodies...it was the 4,000+ toxins from tar, tobacco, etc. that was the problem for healing from my surgeries. I know your topic didn't directly address this, but I thought it was worth mentioning!

I believe the OP would still fail the test for nicotine if she used the E-cigs. Maybe after surgery.

I don't really smoke I might take a few puffs every now and then but I didn't know my insurance requires the nicotine test or I would have never tried some of my bfs cigar and my problem now is everyone's second hand smoke. The urine tests can detect second hand smoke and I can't start my 6 month diet unless I test negative

I don't really smoke I might take a few puffs every now and then but I didn't know my insurance requires the nicotine test or I would have never tried some of my bfs cigar and my problem now is everyone's second hand smoke. The urine tests can detect second hand smoke and I can't start my 6 month diet unless I test negative

Hopefully the amount of second hand smoke wasn't enough to show up on the test. Take the home one. If it shows cancel the appt and wait a cpl weeks. I know that's easier said than done but that's where u are at this point.

Hopefully the amount of second hand smoke wasn't enough to show up on the test. Take the home one. If it shows cancel the appt and wait a cpl weeks. I know that's easier said than done but that's where u are at this point.

im calling all over but no stores carry them let alone heard of them. I bought mine online. I don't have time to order the tests or cancle my appointment cause its tomorrow and my coordinator isn't in on Sundays :( that's why I'm freaking out...

Well you don't have any choice but to go to the appt and tell them your situation. Tell them you were exposed to second hand smoke. And see what they say. Maybe it won't show up on the test at all....I will keep you in my prayers hope it all works out for you.

Well you don't have any choice but to go to the appt and tell them your situation. Tell them you were exposed to second hand smoke. And see what they say. Maybe it won't show up on the test at all....I will keep you in my prayers hope it all works out for you.

thank you :)

Just take a deep breath; it either will or won't affect you, but you can't possibly know that until your appointment tomorrow. Although easier said than done, giving energy to worrying isn't productive. Put a smile on your face and let tomorrow be what it will.

Just take a deep breath; it either will or won't affect you, but you can't possibly know that until your appointment tomorrow. Although easier said than done, giving energy to worrying isn't productive. Put a smile on your face and let tomorrow be what it will.

its just tough I try so hard to stay away from those who smoke but its proving to be harder than I thought. And I already have 6 months to wait and to add on to that is just frustrating when its not even me who is choosing to smoke!. That being said I will try to be as confident as I can be. It's not like I smoked a cig my self or sat in a in closed car and inhaled everything. Thanks for your positive feed back :)

Fist of all nicotine only stays in the body for 3 days. The conitine (sp?) stays in for much longer. Usually the urine test only for nicotine, they take blood for the conitine. Secondly, I am not sure about the second hand smoke since you are not actually setting there and inhaling it. I wish you the best and think you will be fine. Just dont take anymore puffs off of anything and speak up for yourself if someone decides to light one up around you.

I've said a few times that I can't start my 6 month diet until I get a negative on the cotinine test (insurance required) and last week instead of waiting the 30 days since I had taken a few puffs of a cig 2 weeks before my first appointment so I decided to order a home test to make sure ill pass and I did so I told my coordinator to make the test for this Monday..well tonight I went out to sushi with my aunt and she totally forgot I can't be around second hand smoke and lit up a cig while we were in the car and I didn't even notice..she had the window down but I'm still worried im not going to pass..tomorrow (Sunday) ima see if any stores local carry cotinine tests and hopefully be at peace but its soo hard to stay away from second hand smoke and I feel hopeless and like its unfair because I don't smoke but my family and friends do. I am going to be so disappointed if I fail:( not sure what happens if I do and if I can take another test

I dont smoke but my hubby is heavy chain smoker, we drive truck together so were in very small area 24/7 this worried me also but my doctor told me 2nd hand smoke does not affect your test

I dont smoke but my hubby is heavy chain smoker' date=' we drive truck together so were in very small area 24/7 this worried me also but my doctor told me 2nd hand smoke does not affect your test[/quote']

You need to try and make him understand second hand smoke is far worse than smoking a cigarette. It has no filter so your inhaling all of its polutents. My oldman is a trucker to, so I know how it is in the trucks, especialy when they smoking.

You need to try and make him understand second hand smoke is far worse than smoking a cigarette. It has no filter so your inhaling all of its polutents. My oldman is a trucker to' date=' so I know how it is in the trucks, especialy when they smoking.[/quote']

I realize this and so does he, I went into the relationship knowing he is a heavy smoker and has no plans on quitting but thank you :)