Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm thrilled, and a question

I just got my 4th fill, and WOW! It's great. I went to a buffet last night(yeah, not a great choice but it was where my MIL really wanted to go). I had a small plate of veggies and some fish, some shrimp. Felt good, so had just a little more. And a small bit of desert. Then I was done. Not "Oh, I really want more but don't want to embarras myself so I'd better stop" done. It was "Nothing even sounds appealling and I don't want more" done. Same thing this morning, a work Breakfast out. I eat about a 1/3 of my meal, and lost interest totally in the food. Three hours later, I'm sitting here feeling totally satisfied. It's amazing.

Now, the question. I still struggle with leaving food. At home, I can just serve myself a small portion and that's usually fine. But we eat out a lot, and stuff on the appetizer menu isn't usually all that great. We've split meals(DH is also banded) but sometimes you just want different things. I try to order stuff that is good as leftovers, but sometimes there isn't enough left to take home, and I want to eat it.

So, what do others do/think?

That is great news. Its it great to have control. As far as the food goes and leftovers I would order what I want on the menu and either chuck it or take it home. Good luck.

Its a great feeling isn't it!!!!!

I still struggle with leaving food too. I was raised by a Mom who wouldn't allow food waste....now, I live with my chef husband and the biggest rule of the kitchen is "you never throw anything out unless its off or has been on a customer's plate". I'm getting use to it now though because I just don't desire the food once I get that feeling. Unless I'm out for fine dining I usually ask for a take out container to be brought to the table with my meal and I pack up what I know I can't eat before I even get started...that helps me not to get too overwhelmed by having too much food on my plate. I don't eat out a lot but hubby cooks for us every night....I can only eat so little and hubby is not a big portion eater either....so our refridgerator always looks like a leftover grave yard LOL

Carol

I am having a hard time throwing out food as well. It just seems like such a waste. But I guess it is better to be waste instead of waist. lol

People have all sorts of ways to deal with leaving food in a restaurant from taking the food home, to having a card stating they can only eat so much so that they can order smaller portions etc.

Truth is I think you have to get over it. Having a hang up in your head about "wasting" food is what made us fat/keeps us fat. YOu need to be able to totally dissociate yourself emotionally from it and not worry about whether or not it goes uneaten or whether you've gotten your money's worth. I truly think its really important to force yourself to get to that point rather than finding ways to cope with wastage.

So what if 3/4 of the meal remains on your plate and goes in the bin if you've had a nice night with good company and enjoyed what you did eat. You are not a garbage bin - you can only eat what you can eat and the rest is wasted whether you throw it out or eat it when you dont really want it.

Its really a victory to have gone to a buffet and done so well, good on you. To no longer care about what you DIDNT eat though, that's what you're truly aiming for.

Having said that, the sizes of meals we get served nowadays is insane - and I live in Australia, its about half of what you guys get served up to you over there. Its senseless wastage since the average person just doesnt need (or want) to eat it all. Even when I was obese I could rarely finish a restaurant meal.

lisah, just do what my wife does.....Go to the buffet or order from the menu, eat what you want or can and let the busboy take the rest. Period!

Its a great feeling isn't it!!!!!

I still struggle with leaving food too. I was raised by a Mom who wouldn't allow food waste....now, I live with my chef husband and the biggest rule of the kitchen is "you never throw anything out unless its off or has been on a customer's plate". I'm getting use to it now though because I just don't desire the food once I get that feeling. Unless I'm out for fine dining I usually ask for a take out container to be brought to the table with my meal and I pack up what I know I can't eat before I even get started...that helps me not to get too overwhelmed by having too much food on my plate. I don't eat out a lot but hubby cooks for us every night....I can only eat so little and hubby is not a big portion eater either....so our refridgerator always looks like a leftover grave yard LOL

Carol

LOL-ours does sometimes also. I like the idea of just packing up the leftovers before I start eating.

re: ""Nothing even sounds appealling and I don't want more" done."

LOVE IT!!! That's my ideal place....had some, don't need more....welcome to the New Life!!!!

I'm so thrilled with this feeling! I have never felt like that in my life that I remember.

I am having a hard time throwing out food as well. It just seems like such a waste. But I guess it is better to be waste instead of waist. lol

In another group, someone said that after spending all that money on a band, the cost of a little wasted food isn't so bad.

Truth is I think you have to get over it. Having a hang up in your head about "wasting" food is what made us fat/keeps us fat. YOu need to be able to totally dissociate yourself emotionally from it and not worry about whether or not it goes uneaten or whether you've gotten your money's worth. I truly think its really important to force yourself to get to that point rather than finding ways to cope with wastage.

So what if 3/4 of the meal remains on your plate and goes in the bin if you've had a nice night with good company and enjoyed what you did eat. You are not a garbage bin - you can only eat what you can eat and the rest is wasted whether you throw it out or eat it when you dont really want it.

Its really a victory to have gone to a buffet and done so well, good on you. To no longer care about what you DIDNT eat though, that's what you're truly aiming for.

Having said that, the sizes of meals we get served nowadays is insane - and I live in Australia, its about half of what you guys get served up to you over there. Its senseless wastage since the average person just doesnt need (or want) to eat it all. Even when I was obese I could rarely finish a restaurant meal.

Good points! I so totally agree about portion sizes. I watch plates of food go by when we are out and it's insane.

lisah, just do what my wife does.....Go to the buffet or order from the menu, eat what you want or can and let the busboy take the rest. Period!

I know that's what I need to do, but it really bothers me to leave food. Although with this last fill, it's not so much an option!

I portion off the food on my plate into a "bandster"-size portion before I even start eating. If my hubby doesn't finish the rest, I usually take it home with me. But, one idea that might help you keep from contuing to nibble when you can't take home leftovers, is to douse the rest heavily with salt. That takes away the temptation!

Tami

I don't eat out much, but when I do, I just eat off my kids' plates.

I agree that you need to get over your "have to eat everything on your plate" idea. I have it too, lets not treat our bodies like garbage cans....

I portion off the food on my plate into a "bandster"-size portion before I even start eating. If my hubby doesn't finish the rest, I usually take it home with me. But, one idea that might help you keep from contuing to nibble when you can't take home leftovers, is to douse the rest heavily with salt. That takes away the temptation!

Tami

That is so funny to read. I know someone that does that. She is VERY slim. When she is done, she doesn't want to keep eating a bite here and there, so she makes it nasty. lol