Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the deal with soup and Mashed Potatoes following surgery?

Okay..so i get it... I know you are supposed to have full fluids..but why Soup? isn't there too much carbs in soup?? same with mashed potatoes?

I am getting in less than 300 calories a day (today I hit a whopping 202!) and I am 12 days out. I don't have taters, but I do have Soup. I had an entire 1/8 cup today but I was aiming for 1/4. HA!! I think because we can't do much, it's not that detrimental this early in the game.

This early just getting in some calories is good any way you can.

I am getting in less than 300 calories a day (today I hit a whopping 202!) and I am 12 days out. I don't have taters, but I do have Soup. I had an entire 1/8 cup today but I was aiming for 1/4. HA!! I think because we can't do much, it's not that detrimental this early in the game.

You need to make some of my Protein spiked pudding love, it will give you some much needed calories and Protein out the wazoo! Get 'er done now!

Make the Soup and mashed potatoes with skim milk and add one scoop of powdered dry milk - bumps up the Protein. And - you aren't going to be able to eat much. 1/4 - 1/2 cup or so ...

My doc said not to worry about this so early out. It's more about getting real food that your stomach can handle.

I wish I had no appetite...unfortunately, I still do, but I still cannot eat much quantity-wise....I think what others are saying is correct about not eating enough to really matter from a carb perspective...I am staying away from starches, including potatoes, just because I don't want to generate even the potential for carb cravings

KFC mashed potatoes are one of the few foods I can eat without discomfort . . .I eat 'em & I am still losing...I'm 11 weeks out . . .

Okay..so i get it... I know you are supposed to have full fluids..but why Soup? isn't there too much carbs in soup?? same with mashed potatoes?

First week it is only broth, as far as soup goes, after that with full liquids, it is cream soup but none of the chunkies. I was specifically told no potatoes in any form. Actually, my dietitian said, when I asked about pureed cream of potato soup, "Why would you want to sabotage yourself?" LoL Heck, I just used cream of potato as a 'full liquid' example!!! I did NOT eat cream of potato!! My doctor never worried about carbs unless a patient isn't losing, then it becomes an issue. For the first month, I couldn't eat more than an eighth of a cup of broth or soup....also SF Jell-O. I was never hungry and was sooooo excited that I wasn't hungry! LoL

You sound like me, that is how I was, not hungry and got 200 - 300 calories per day. After I got a 'This is fine if you are feeling good' from the doc, I reveled in the fact that I was eating so little, didn't have an appetite and felt good!!! Don't push it, eating so little sure helps things along and you'll gradually eat more and more. I'm three years out and eat less than a cup at each meal. Actually I eat that at dinner, at Breakfast and lunch, I eat much less.

Please share. Problem is, I have NO appetite. NONE. And I really have no appetite for anything sweet.

I really didn't either. About 10 or so days out, I started having 3 meals a day. Not because I was hungry but to start getting accustomed to eating. I had no appetite whatsoever. I started with Tomato Soup, about 1/8 a cup at a time. Took about 30 minutes to do it. Was really hard the first week I did it. It started getting better just before I was 3 weeks out. At 3 weeks I could start to have pudding and yogurt so if you are cleared for it try Protein spiked pudding.< /p>

I take a small package of sugarfree pudding and about 10 oz of skim milk. I add a scoop of chocolate or unflavored Protein powder and blend in for a few seconds in a blender. Then I add the sugarfree pudding and blend it for about 30 seconds. I poured it into to bowls and chilled it.

At first it was just a few bites and it goes down easy. Then I just worked up to the whole thing. Based on two servings it's about 170 calories, 16 grams of Protein. I'm telling you, once I started getting some of that in me, it was like night and day with my energy and in turn helped my appetite. When I first started making it I would put in 2 scoops scoop, it increased the calories by about 50 and the protein to about 25 grams of protein.

Give it a try and just take it slow, it really helps. Turns out for me, it was a good thing because I have not experienced hunger till about 3 weeks ago. But trying to get back into a normal routine really made a difference.

Let me know how it goes, because you know I'll rag you about it. :) :) Tough love sweetie!

I really didn't either. About 10 or so days out, I started having 3 meals a day. Not because I was hungry but to start getting accustomed to eating. I had no appetite whatsoever. I started with Tomato Soup, about 1/8 a cup at a time. Took about 30 minutes to do it. Was really hard the first week I did it. It started getting better just before I was 3 weeks out. At 3 weeks I could start to have pudding and yogurt so if you are cleared for it try Protein spiked pudding.< /p>

I take a small package of sugarfree pudding and about 10 oz of skim milk. I add a scoop of chocolate or unflavored Protein Powder and blend in for a few seconds in a blender. Then I add the sugarfree pudding and blend it for about 30 seconds. I poured it into to bowls and chilled it.

At first it was just a few bites and it goes down easy. Then I just worked up to the whole thing. Based on two servings it's about 170 calories, 16 grams of Protein. I'm telling you, once I started getting some of that in me, it was like night and day with my energy and in turn helped my appetite. When I first started making it I would put in 2 scoops scoop, it increased the calories by about 50 and the protein to about 25 grams of protein.

Give it a try and just take it slow, it really helps. Turns out for me, it was a good thing because I have not experienced hunger till about 3 weeks ago. But trying to get back into a normal routine really made a difference.

Let me know how it goes, because you know I'll rag you about it. :) :) Tough love sweetie!

Yes, mom. I'll get some tomorrow. :D

Yes, mom. I'll get some tomorrow. :D

And clean your plate! :wacko:

Yikes! Old habits die hard! :rolleyes: