Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band with M.S. or Fibormyalisha (sp?)

:faint: I am 38-40 BPM & the doctors think I might have M.S. or Fibormalisha (spelling?). Do you think these health conditions could hurt me or benefit me in trying to get HealthNet my insurance to cover the LapBand surgery? Lots of back pain and muscle tightness. HUMMM??

What do you think?

Kitty

I have fibromalgia and chronic fatigue. I have been helped tremendously. I am sleeping better and in less pain than before. In fact, I don't take my pain medicine before bed since surgery.

I was worried about my immune system and whether I could recover quickly from the surgery. I was answering work emails the same day as surgery and worked from home for a few days. Then I was right back in the office and never stopped. It was great. I recovered faster than I could have hoped.

I think it can do nothing but help once you start losing weight. Good luck.

I have Fiibromyalgia. The surgery went fine and so did the recovery. I just still find my self in pain from the Fibro which prevents me from exercising. I am hoping once I lose more weight, the pain will lessen. Good luck!

:faint: I am 38-40 BPM & the doctors think I might have M.S. or Fibormalisha (spelling?). Do you think these health conditions could hurt me or benefit me in trying to get HealthNet my insurance to cover the LapBand surgery? Lots of back pain and muscle tightness. HUMMM??

What do you think?

Kitty

Hi I have Ms and it might not be MS. Have you tried going to a chiropractor to do GENTLE adjustments? Ask that they use an activator and not manipulation....it really has helped me with my MS but you might just have a really bad spinal alignment. Much better than the other two diagnoses! Try that and massage to relieve your symptoms and NO SUGAR, NO caffeine, except for green tea and only occassional coffee, ALL Natural food if possible organic and No SIMPLE starches or really processed food. Believe me it makes a HUGE difference.

I did not use insurance for my band, but they might have a problem with an MS diagnosis, so make sure you do not actually get diagnosed. I have had no real problems except that post op as with any other surgery I have had...I think it is the anesthesia my muscle spasms came back really bad...but with some massage and chiropractic and a bit of medication for 4 days I went back to normal relatively soon.:)

Use natural antiinflammatories like ginger and tumeric. Good luck!

I also have fibromalgia and CFS. The heavier I get and the less I structure my diet the worse it becomes. Mine has improved greatly from having the LapBand. The big concerne is you because there is a huge difference between fibromalgia and MS! I hope you have a good Dr. God Bless and Good Luck!

I can't stress enough the benefits of routine massages. When I was so bad I finally found a great masseuse. Through the pain she was able to get me relief. It took a while because of all the knots at the pressure points. I would find a good one and go every 2 weeks to keep muscles from getting so many knots.

I'm new here and think this is the section I've been looking for.

I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ie CFS and also known as ME) and fibromyalgia about 6 years ago. I also have sleep apnoea and type 2 diabetes (also known as NIDDM).

Over the last 6 years I have been unable to do much exercise (actually house bound for most of the time and confined to bed/sofa for a lot of the time) due to CFS and have put on a lot of weight. I am now in the weight range where lapbanding is considered appropriate and am concerned that if I don;t do something soon my weight is going to get even worse.

I am seriously considering lapbanding (and have an appt with a surgeon ealry in the new year) but I'm really concerned as to how this might affect the CFS. I've heard all sorts of stories like post-op problems cos of "slow healing" and "compromised immune system" but I have also heard that the weight loss can help ease the pain and stiffness and mean less energy required to actually move the body.

As well as having concerns about the actual surgery, I am needing ideas and suggestions as to how people with CFS manage the food preparation etc on "bad" cfs days (ie those days when mobility is limited to crawling from bedroom to bathroom) and also how you manage the exercise part of the lapband lifestyle.

Sorry about all the questions, but I really don't know who else to ask.

Thanks for reading this and I'll be most grateful for any information or suggestions you can give me .

Bobbie

Bayside Melbourne

Victoria

Australia

I worked myself back from bed days to full time working. I am one of the lucky ones. It took me about 9 months. First and foremost I protect my energy level. I also get a B12 shot each week.

On bad days resort to a Protein drink, thicker Soup, mashed potatoes with a vegetable. You could make yourself some "TV dinners when feeling good for those days that you aren't. I usually have chili con queso and refried Beans handy when I need mushies or lots of Protein.< /p>

I bounded back so fast from surgery I was so surprised. As the weight is coming off I find I'm more active. I still have low energy, but I haven't had any severe sinking spells since surgery. That for me is major as before it felt like someone had put a pin in me and let out all the air.

Good luck and hope this information has helped.

I have fibromalgia and chronic fatigue. I have been helped tremendously. I am sleeping better and in less pain than before. In fact, I don't take my pain medicine before bed since surgery.

I was worried about my immune system and whether I could recover quickly from the surgery. I was answering work emails the same day as surgery and worked from home for a few days. Then I was right back in the office and never stopped. It was great. I recovered faster than I could have hoped.

Thanks for your reply Barbara465.

Do you have chronic fatigue or ME/CFS? (Sorry to be pedantic but if you have ME/CFS you know there is a difference and will understand the reason I'm asking.)

Great to hear you improved so much and to be answering emails and back working so quickly is fantastic. :clap2:

I haven't been able to work for over 5 years cos of CFS (mainly housebound and often confined to bed/sofa). I know excess weight can make moving around difficult but my limitations are due to the CFS.

I know this cos on a "bad" CFS day I am limited to getting from the bedroom to the bathroom and to the sofa and food-wise limited to eating whatever is within reach, on a "good" CFS day I can manage a little housework OR cooking OR even a bit of shopping, and on the rare FANTASTIC/ALMOST HUMAN CFS day I can get around quite well as long as I've got my trusty walking stick for balance.

(If it was a limitation caused by my weight it would be more consistent and wouldn't fluctuate to such a large degree from day to day and even from hour to hour.):frusty:

I would be interested in hearing how limiting and restrictive your CFS was/is and if you have noticed any changes (positive or negative) in the CFS at the time of or after the surgery.

I am new to forums and still learning my way around but I think someone told me there is a provision for private messages (PM). If so, I'd be very grateful if you would PM with more info re your experience with CFS and lapbanding.

Sorry, I have major CFS "FOGGY BRAIN" days - and today is one of those days - and can't remember the details. (I don't want to take over this thread discussing CFS so a PM would be good - unless of course you think others would be helped by the discussion/information.)

I am really eager to have the banding done but the CFS has been so severe I can't afford to do anything that might aggrivate it or make it even worse than it already is.

Thanks again for your help.

Bobbie

Bayside Melbourne

Victoria

Australia

Thanks for the feedback. Did you having CFS and Fibro did that help to prove to your insurance that you need the surgery?

I worked myself back from bed days to full time working. I am one of the lucky ones. It took me about 9 months. First and foremost I protect my energy level. I also get a B12 shot each week.

On bad days resort to a Protein drink, thicker Soup, mashed potatoes with a vegetable. You could make yourself some "TV dinners when feeling good for those days that you aren't. I usually have chili con queso and refried Beans handy when I need mushies or lots of Protein.< /p>

I bounded back so fast from surgery I was so surprised. As the weight is coming off I find I'm more active. I still have low energy, but I haven't had any severe sinking spells since surgery. That for me is major as before it felt like someone had put a pin in me and let out all the air.

Good luck and hope this information has helped.

Did you have an easier time trying to get your insurance to pay for your surgery with your illness?

Sorry I can't help with info re the insurance companies.

Here is Australia we have a different setup with Medicare and Private Health Insurance.

I can either have the surgery done as a Private patient with an out of pocket expense of between AUS$3,500 and AUS$4,000 (after all insurance company payments/refunds etc) or be done as a Public patient with a 1 to 7 year wait.

I hope you all receive insurance company approval soon.

Bobbie

Bayside Melbourne

Victoria

Australia

Sorry I can't help with info re the insurance companies.

Here is Australia we have a different setup with Medicare and Private Health Insurance.

I can either have the surgery done as a Private patient with an out of pocket expense of between AUS$3,500 and AUS$4,000 (after all insurance company payments/refunds etc) or be done as a Public patient with a 1 to 7 year wait.

I hope you all receive insurance company approval soon.

Bobbie

Bayside Melbourne

Victoria

Australia

Thanks for that info!

Kitty