Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5 days post op and and I am constantly in pain. I can't lay down because first if all, I can't get back up without help because the pain level is too much, and second of all, while I am in the laying position, I am so uncomfortable and in pain that I breathe weird and shallow, causing me to feel shortness of breathe. I also can't get up and down from a sitting position without feeling like I am pulling something.

I normally have a high pain tolerance but this pain is causing me to constantly be in tears.

Also, did anyone else wake up in the hospital with a sore throat and roof of mouth? My mouth is in constant pain whether I am just sitting there or especially when I swallow.

I just need to know if anyone else had this experience or if I need to see someone about any of this

I am 5 days post op and and I am constantly in pain. I can't lay down because first if all' date=' I can't get back up without help because the pain level is too much, and second of all, while I am in the laying position, I am so uncomfortable and in pain that I breathe weird and shallow, causing me to feel shortness of breathe. I also can't get up and down from a sitting position without feeling like I am pulling something.

I normally have a high pain tolerance but this pain is causing me to constantly be in tears.

Also, did anyone else wake up in the hospital with a sore throat and roof of mouth? My mouth is in constant pain whether I am just sitting there or especially when I swallow.

I just need to know if anyone else had this experience or if I need to see someone about any of this[/quote']

My pain has been pretty manageable but I'm sure what you are going through is normal...about the sore throat, when I met with the anesthesiologist she said side effects are dry mouth and sore throat

Some people experience the pain more then others and yea getting up was a difficult task because my abs were weak from the surgery. A lot of people sleep in a recliner for the first week because of that.

And the throat and mouth hurting Could have been caused by them scratching the tube against it when they inserted it down your throat.

I would be worried a little about the breathing issues and maybe check in with the surgeon, maybe it's just cause of the pain, but not something I would want to mess with.

I say as far as everything else, it was normal to feel and give it a week or two till everything starts to settle and readjust. Good luck! And welcome to the losers bench!

The sore throat could also be due to the bougie that was put down your throat.

It sounds like your pain is not being managed at the moment - you should get back on to your doctor asap.

Yup and yup! I had sore throat/roof of mouth ( there was a tube down throat whilst I was asleep) but it passed after around 10days.

I couldn't lie down until I was 14 days post op. Some people have no problems lying down straight away but the rest of us do - perhaps you need to sleep propped up or in a recliner until the discomfort passes? I slept propped on sofa, then in bed with pillows so that I was almost upright and I did get to sleep. Even when I could lie down, it was only on one side for a week before I could move around and sleep on other side.

Poor you, it won't help to hear it will pass - but it does. However, as with all pain, if you are unsure that it is getting any better, speak to your doc.

Good luck x

You are not breathing as deep as normal due to the pain it causes. This IS something you need to buck up and do. One major post op complication can be pneumonia (with any kind of abdominal surgery) cause patients tend to shallow breathe not wanting to hurt, then the secretions accumulate in your lungs causing pneumonia. You can prevent this from happening by making yourself take deep breathes....take 10-20 everyhour. Splint your abdomen (hold a small pillow or folded up blanket tight to your abdomen..over you incisions, and breathe deep. You should even try to cough to clear your air passages. Your hospital may of sent you home with an insintive spirometer to help with the deep breathing. Really try to do this even if it hurts. Also you must get up and move even if it hurts, to prevent blood clots from forming. These are basic things to do post op to prevent complications. Take your pain medication and breathe and move. Good luck....the pain gets less everyday and the more you move the faster it gets better.

I know it isn't much help towards you not hurting but what you described in both instances, I experienced. I slept in my recliner for the first week and on several pillows for a couple more. The sore throat will get better as you take in more liquids.< /p>