Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it bad? I was told not to drink it, but I can't do my shakes without it. Silk does not work. Lactaid does not work. Can only do them with milk without getting sick. Why is milk said to be bad?

Why were you told not to drink it?

Why were you told not to drink it?

Was told that no one is suppose to drink it after surgery. Suppose to become lactose intolerant I think they said. Yet, I have no issues with milk at all. Even I I drink it by itself. However I usually only use milk for my shakes now. So I am confused as to why it was said, no milk.

I was never told that, and am not or have never been lactose intolerant. Some people do have the issues. If you can tolerate it, there's no reason from a nutritional standpoint that you can't have it.

I thought maybe it was something specific to this surgery. I mean, my wife had the Gastic Bypass, and for the first 3 weeks, she was surviving off of milk because it was the only thing she could take in, that did not make her sick. I mean, I have no plans of stopping the milk. If I want my protien shakes, I need the milk. Otherwise, I would be sick everytime I had one.

I am 20 days out and have no problem with milk. My Dr. did not say to stay away from it.

My NUT suggested drinking skim milk .... double whammy! liquid and 8 grams of Protein to boot!

My diet plan consists of me drinking 2-3 eight oz glasses of skim milk a day. Of course I never liked milk so I heat mine up with a package of splenda and cocoa powder. Now I like it.

I think the reason I have issue the most with it, is I used to drink a gallon of milk a day. I used to prefer milk to Water, or anything else really. So perhaps that had something to do with it.

Was told that no one is suppose to drink it after surgery. Suppose to become lactose intolerant I think they said. Yet' date=' I have no issues with milk at all. Even I I drink it by itself. However I usually only use milk for my shakes now. So I am confused as to why it was said, no milk.[/quote']

Lactose milk should be no different then regular milk other then I doesn't have the sugary hormone lactose in it. Since sugar can cause dumping, increase acid reflux heartburn and indigestion it's highly unreccomended. Id be willing to bet you are lactose intolerant and just don't know it. I've not ever heard of shakes that you can't use lactose free milk with. Actually more and more milk products are being made with lactose free milk. Even yummy things like milkshakes and Dairy Queen (here in Colorado) at least. Considering over 99% of the population is lactose intolerant, and were the only species in the world that drinks milk past infancy, and milk from another species, we are bound to have problems with it.

I drink skim milk every day too. I am 18 days post op. It's on my plan too. It's so strange how different doctors are. I really believe that the "rules" are somewhat flexible. Just meaning that each of us have to find what works for us. I don't mean to go crazy with food/drink or anything, but I think there is some wiggle room. My doc told me the other day to be careful about eating eggs, but I had already been eating them for days with no problem.

Lactose milk should be no different then regular milk other then I doesn't have the sugary hormone lactose in it. Since sugar can cause dumping, increase acid reflux heartburn and indigestion it's highly unreccomended. Id be willing to bet you are lactose intolerant and just don't know it. I've not ever heard of shakes that you can't use lactose free milk with. Actually more and more milk products are being made with lactose free milk. Even yummy things like milkshakes and Dairy Queen (here in Colorado) at least. Considering over 99% of the population is lactose intolerant, and were the only species in the world that drinks milk past infancy, and milk from another species, we are bound to have problems with it.

I looked up the symptoms to look for if you are lactose intolerant, and I have not had any. I am not sure what the difference is with the lactose free milk, and the milk I am using, but when I try my shakes with Water, silk, Lactaid, or Almond milk, I feel sick everytime. I mean, I bought them all, so I used them all, and only with milk was I able to drink the shake, and feel fine. Using 1%.