Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sore Throat

Just lately I have pbing quite alot and if not that, I am having to spit into a cup which I nearly fill up before I can start eating again. It seems that everything I am eating is causing this to happen. It happens with the first thing I eat at every meal regardless to what it is and how small. My last fill was Nov 11th and this has started about a week ago. I am now getting a lot of sore throats.

It sounds like your band is too tight? perhaps see your dr.

Best wishes

Becky

Sounds like you are probably too tight to me.

It's not uncommon for a fill to "kick in" a month or more after the actual fill.

Also, after a PB do your best to drop down a food level for a day or 2. If you're on regular go to softs or even mushies. Heck, I've even done liquids if I had a sliming episode and persistent sore throat that I knew wasn't related to a cold. When our stoma's (where the band presses in and kind of separates your pouch or upper stomach from the larger, lower stomach) irritated it swells. By dropping down a food level you give it a break and hopefully decrease the irritation.

If this doesn't seem to help, DEFINATELY contact your doctor for a slight unfill.

Hi

Thanks for your post. My sore throat is due to having a cold now. I woke this moring with it so it is not the band this time. Is the sliming due to the band being too tight, not chewing or consuming too much? Also by sliming too much would the sore throat be due to the amount of acid in the slim?:help:

Hi,

I just wanted to add my two cents: it is very possible for a sore throat to be related to a too tight band. Because the band is so tight it may cause acid reflux when you sleep and this can cause the sore throat and laryngitis.

Think you might want to talk to your doc about a slight defill. Good luck.

Deb...Amazing how much alike we can be! I too have a terrible sore throat right now.... not from a cold...do not fool yourself but instead from PBing and getting sick soo much! I also have a lovely plastic spitt up cup that stays by my side because I cannot always make it to the bathroom! Does this sound familiar? I have a Dr's appointment scheduled already because as much as I hate to face it...as much as I want restriction..my band is too tight and I need an unfill! How about you?

Oh I have just got over laryngitis a week ago but previous to that I had a bad throat and now got this sore throat which has now been followed by that egg shall feeling so I have put it down to getting a cold.

I was getting a bit concerned as for the last 4 weeks there has hardly been a day that my throat hasn't been sore so thought it may of been caused by acid. I will give it a couple of more weeks, and if I still get a sore throat, I will speak to my doctor.

I'm not sure if it's just because it's that time of the year or if it really is the band. Thank you for all your help

Deb...Amazing how much alike we can be! I too have a terrible sore throat right now.... not from a cold...do not fool yourself but instead from PBing and getting sick soo much! I also have a lovely plastic spitt up cup that stays by my side because I cannot always make it to the bathroom! Does this sound familiar? I have a Dr's appointment scheduled already because as much as I hate to face it...as much as I want restriction..my band is too tight and I need an unfill! How about you?

Yes what you have said is what is happening but because of the feeling of a cold I am not sure about this time so need to see if it does continue. I had a sore throat about 4wks ago which has been on and off, then I got another one which turned into laryngitis it's only been cleared for about a week and I started with this one yesterday but like I said I feel unwell so I am not sure. I am unable to eat with out the sliming which can be a whole cup to a couple of spits or sometimes PBing. If I just get the sliming then once the first mouthful has gone down, I am able to continue eating with no problem .