Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery done - 4 days post op

If you saw one of my earlier posts asking the removal of the drainage tube and how that felt, surprisingly that was the biggest thing I was concerend with in this surgery; not the possibility of risks, not the posibility of no weight loss.

Had my surgery on Tuesday morning. Took the nurses quite a while to find find a vein to start the IV. The told me that most overweight people have this problem so I shouldn't worry. I was little upset because I drank so many Clear liquids the two days up to it and still they had problems. The IV going in hurt like a MOFO. I can't stand needles at all, or any kind of pain. I'm a 32 year old male that screams when I see a tiny spider in a corner. Yea, figure that one out.

Then came time for the surgery, I actually started to cry as the nurse came in and said the doctor is ready. I was crying because it was finally happening - all the waiting, insurance approval, 2 week Protein diet, everything had come down to this. I remember going into the OR and they moved me from my bed to the operating bed.

The anestesiologist put an oxyegen mask on me and said to take some deep breaths and that I should start to feel sleepy soon. I vaguely remember having my arms and legs strapped in? But that might have been my imagination. I also remember there were two attractive nurses in the room with me, and then I zonked out.

Next thing I'm waking up and the anestesiologist is talking to me, saying things like "Jason...can you hear me?" "Jason, are you awake?" I'm rolling around in the bed all groggy, not really in pain or discomfort, but just trying to figure out what the hell is going on. He asked me what I remember and I said the oxygen bit and that there were 2 hot nurses in the room and he laughed and said "That's why I keep coming back!" He asked if there was any chest/shoulder pain and I said no.

The first few hours of the surgery were the worst. My abdominal muscles were tight as hell, and I kept dosing in and out of sleep for the next 6 or so hours. By the evening the nurses were getting me up and having me walk to the bathroom to see my urinary output. Some of my friends visited me which was nice.

I had an extremely hard time falling asleep that first night - strange hospital, only 12 channels on TV with stupid shows and infomercials, pain for the most part was non existent because I was on a comination of tylenol drips and morphine.

The next morning they did the final blood draw, had me do my barium exam and I was discharged.

I've got to say, before I continue, the nursing staff and the surgeon, as well as the anestesiologist were of the highest professionalism, care and bedside manner. I could not have asked for a better team. In fact, overnight I was the only one in recovery and I had both nurses to myself!

Then I was being discharged. My dad was driving my car, and I rarely ride passenger, I'm normally the driver. His driving has always made me groan a bit because he just doesn't drive like me....I'm a little more agressive. :) I started to get naseaus right away and thought, am I having motion sickness? Getting in the car hurt like hell, bending those adominal muscles as well as getting out.

My parents let me stay with them for a few days to recover and immediately I decided to lie down. I slept hard for about 2 hours.

Here is an outline of the pain/discomfort I have had since surgery -

• Surgery day - Not much because of the morphine and tylenol drip
  • Day after surgery - Not much until I got home. Sipped on a Protein shake and took another 2 hour nap. As I was sitting up I started to feel naseaus and there went the Protein Shake. It was dark in the room and I thought for a second I vomitted blood. Thankfully is just a light brown color reminiscent of when I drank too much alcohol and bile would come up. Called my surgeon to let me know and they said that was common after surgery but not to worry. Started feeling sharp pains in left shoulder/chest area. Worried I had a leak.
  • Thursday - Off and on discomfort - still feeling sharp pains in left shoulder. Occassional naseau.
  • Friday - Off and on discomfort - still sharp pains. Went to surgeon for first followup to get the drainage tube removed. Ok, I'm going to digress here, but that was the most unfomfortable, oddest, strangest sensations I have ever experienced. It was quick, but honestly felt like he was rummaging around my organs. I pray I never have to feel that experience ever again. Sharp pain in chest IMMEDIATELY went away. Who knew it was the drain causing it???
  • Saturday - I took 2-1 hour naps today, much imrovement from the days before. Had a lot more energy. Very, very little abdominal discomfort, only when changing positions from seated to standing, laying to standing, standing to seated etc. It's not as bad as it nearly was. Either I'm getting used to the pain, or the muscles are finally healing.

Now here is a diary of my liquid/protein intake -

• Day after surgery - Got 30 ounces of liquid...if I was lucky. The one Protein shake of 13g of protein was lost when I vomitted up.
  • Thursday - Got around 30 ounces of liquid. Finished one protein shake for 13g. It is so difficult to get in the required 64oz and 45g for the first five days.
  • Friday - Got around 40 ounces of liquid. Finished one and a half protein shake for 20g with skim milk in both, so around 25g of protein. Told the surgeon I would like to extend the liquid diet past day 4, as he had originally planned, because I want to make sure I'm up to 64oz liquid and 45g protein before moving to stage 2. He said I can stay as long as I want on each stage, just don't end it early.
  • Saturday - Got around 55 ounces of liquid. Had Jello, half cup skim milk, popsicle, about 30g of protein. I'm getting there.

Tomorrow, Sunday, I should be starting the 2nd stage of purreed foods. But I don't want to yet, I really want to get up to the 64 oz of liquid and 45g of protein for a solid 4 days in a row before I got to stage 2. I owe it to my new stomach to get used to all liquids and actually completing a stage before moving on to another. Plus, I think in the long run that will help to heal my stomach better than by forcing myself onto a new stage when my stomach isn't ready it. Each day gets better, and I'm hoping I can get the 64 ounces of liquid and 45 grams of protein tomorrow for my first official day at that mark.....

.....as much as applesauce, cottage cheese, and refried Beans sound right about now! LOL

For everyone that has said it before, as soon as that drainage tube was removed, so much discomfort IMMEDIATELY went away.

My only concern is right now I'm developing a cold, and my ears are popping and I have a slight cough. I am sure this is due to not eating and staying hydrated. I am taking my required multi-vatamins and supplements daily.

Finally, I have not had any stomach or head hunger. I'm watching tv and I will see commercials for Steak and Shake or donuts and think, "Hmmm, I remember how good those tasted" but I am very happy with the decision I made. The hardest thing for me is just sipping ice cold Water, because I'm so used to chugging ice cold Water, especially when I'm thirsty.

Congrats and welcome to the loser's bench. I look forward to reading all about your journey!

Congrats on your new life journey!

Congratulations. I appreciate your posting your experience. I'm 2 days out, just got out of the hospital. I was worried about how I can't drink the whole 64 oz, but it sounds like that's something to work up to.

I can relate to the detatched feeling about food commercials and others eating. I just think "I used to have that, but don't miss it". Part of that might be how recent the surgery was, but I hope to keep that detachment as I lose my excess weight.

Best wishes on your journey :-)

I had sleeve done Monday. I stayed an extra night due to my white count being high they got it controlled with a shot of leviquin. I too am a day or so behind on the diet and I asked my nutritionist and she said same thing take as slow as you want as long as I get the ounces and Protein in me. I just moved to stage 2 today. I tried sugar free carnation instant Breakfast strawberry and strained cream of potato Soup today and. They were both awesome. Hardest part for me is the small sips or bites. As we all I'm sure ate big ass bites and chugged the drinks. Lol. Good luck

Great update. Having my drain removed was the worst part for me as well. It took the nurse three pulls and I almost punched her in the face each time. Hated it. I was discharged a few hours after the removal and was nauseated from the pain of that all the way home.

Oddly enough, I had brain surgery a few years ago, and the biggest pain in that procedure was also the removal of the drain. That was a super weird sensation. Ugh.

I hope NEVER AGAIN.