Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Christmas brings bypass and lapbands together....

It's a Christmas MIraCLe!!! :faint:

Last night we went to a Christmas party and I overheard a woman (gorgeous model type) telling someone else she'd had gastric bypass a few years back. I sidled up to her (with my plate full of Christmas goodies) and confided that I was having lapband in 2 days. We ended up talking the rest of the night. We were talking about the emotional aspects of weight loss and she has just totally been there, done that. Afterwards we exchanged phone numbers and she told me to call her anytime I was freaking out with food issues or something.

AFter wards I was telling my mom about it and she asked "So do you wish you were getting the bypass instead?" I was like, "No, but I'd pay 30 grand to look like her ANY day!" Oh well I'm looking forward to looking like a better version of me at least!

It was just nice to connect with someone who understood so perfectly, and just because our surgeries were different, we still had so much in common as far as reasons behind our choice. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

mypov-do you find that you see thinner people and would never believe they were ever overweight? I am always amazed when someone tells me they were once bigger and I just can't picture it. In the same respect, I cannot picture myself thin! I know what I will look like at aroun 190 or so but that is the lowest that I have a visual in my head for. I cannot imagine being 150-that woudl be glorious!! Good luck on your surgery.

Jack,

That is refreshing to hear you say that. My surgery is tomorrow and I am convinced this will be a tough Christmas since the holiday is so surrounded with food events. I figure this will be the first holiday I don't out on 10 pounds! :)

Besides, I have had 34 Christmases where I could eat what I wanted and it didn't do a bit of good to me. What a great time to give yourself a gift like this.

Visualizing yourself thinner - I have never been able to do that either in any realistic sort of way.... but I had a dream the other night in which I was maybe a size 16/18 - a REALISTIC look at what might be. It was very strange - but very hopeful.

At least somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind, I am beginning to believe....

Hugs all round!

MPov I think it is great that you have found somoene who you can be inspired and encouraged by. Everytime you look at her you can think to yourself I will be that gorgeous soon!

I am finding just being on this site with the support and encouragement we get here is exactly what the dr ordered on my weightloss journey...I have friends that have been overweight (but not obese) and who have lost weight through JC and WW but their transformation hapened a while ago and they have a limited understanding of WLS so although they are very encouraging and supportive, lapband talk is a great place for me to connect with others who know what I am going through because they are going through it too along with me and who have travelled the same path in terms of lapbanding...But we can all learn from each other and there is no RIGHT way interms of weightloss methods just what is personal to you...

:) becky

I agree with Jack. I think it would be the best time of year because what a wonderful Christmas present, a new lease on life. Plus, you won't want any of those foods and there's 10 more pounds you won't have to loose. Good luck everyone that's getting ready for surgery, you'll do just wonderful.

I had my surgery 12/19 because I figured if I could make it through the holidays, the rest of the year would be easier.

It has been very hard with the pre-op diet, but now with the band I think I'll make it through Christmas day ok. I've already told the family I'll show up after they've eaten.

That is great. I too enjoy speaking with people who have been there. Although bypass is more serious it does work so that is great you were able to talk with her. Good luck with your surgery.