Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had sleeve 19 May and no weight loss or bowel movement. Is this normal?

Hi all, I'm getting worried. I had my sleeve gastrectomy on the 19th May, and I have just gained 2 pounds. I understand that due to surgery there is swelling, with the gas and IV drips, but I haven't managed to have a bowel movement and I am wondering if something may be wrong. I would appreciate some help from those who have had similar.

If this is normal, how long is the average before you start to lose weight? I am drinking plenty of liquids without any problem and strictly following the liquid diet given by the hospital.

Colace, Metamucil, something like that... You need to have a bowel movement ASAP.

It was close to a week for me and I was fine. Less in = less out. Most of us in the early stages go several days without a bowel movement.

Are you passing gas? Get moving. Lots of walking and call your MD.

Sounds normal to me as long as you don't feel like you need to go and can't. I came home from the hospital 10 lbs heavier than when I went in, so I would not worry about the 2 lbs. It took me almost a week to get back to my original weight. Good Luck!

Ditto what Nervousnellie said - it was a week before I had a BM which resembled rabbit pellets in my case. :P

I was sleeved May 6th and did not have a bowel movement for 12 days even after drinking Miralax and taking medicmucal. I finally took a gentle laxitive and went. Now that I am eating soft foods I am having an easier time of things. I think the liquids are a shock to your body and change of diet. Also, I gained eight pounds when I got home after 3 days in the hospital. I lost that and about 13 more now 17 days out.

I was sleeved on 5/16/2013, I seen my doctor today and he said it was normal that by body is going through a change and will return he instructed me to take MOM .i was extremely constipated/bloated a few days ago. I had 2 spoon MOM and it work.

Hi all, I'm getting worried. I had my sleeve gastrectomy on the 19th May, and I have just gained 2 pounds. I understand that due to surgery there is swelling, with the gas and IV drips, but I haven't managed to have a bowel movement and I am wondering if something may be wrong. I would appreciate some help from those who have had similar.

If this is normal, how long is the average before you start to lose weight? I am drinking plenty of liquids without any problem and strictly following the liquid diet given by the hospital.

I went 12 days after surgery before my plumbing started working.... I took milk of Magnesa, colace, drank warm prune juice & finally added a suppository (fleets) and it finally did the trick. I would not wait as long as I did. When I would call my surgeons nurse about the issue all she would say was you need more liquids. None of these remedies will work without the Fluid to help the plumbing work. I had a hard time getting in all my fluids at first. At my 2 week check up I was on the edge of dehydrated.... So with all the ability you have do your best to get in all the liquids you can. And walk that helps as well! Hope you have relief soon!

Don't do Metamucil! Do Milk of Magnesia. Safe even on the clear liquid stage per my surgeon. I had/have same issues. Will probably be on routine of stool softner and gentle laxative like M.O.M until eating on a more regular basis and my body adjust.

I had sleeve on 2-14-2013 and here it is 7-7-2013 I can't go without a lax someone please help with advice.

I had sleeve on 2-14-2013 and here it is 7-7-2013 I can't go without a lax someone please help with advice.

I am the same way! I have been going about 5 days in between BM and it usually takes a lax to make me go! So annoying! My NUT told me to eat fibrous fruits and veggies and I have been with no luck!