Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss... Weigh in with your opinions.

Well.... I'm 6 months out and down sixty pounds.

I guess you would see that as a failure..

I had surgery not a miracle. I do not cheat I do not live off of slider foods. As a matter of fact up until just now at dinner I've only eaten 403 calories today (mostly protein) and for dinner right now I'm having tuna (100 calories) salad of cabbage and carrots with 45 calories worth of Salad Dressing. Yeah.

It is what it is.

I guess it just different for everyone..

I was where you were 2 years ago. In ever thought something like this surgery could help me. I didn't have anyone I knew to base my opinion on. I can tell you that if you use this tool like you should then you will have better results. I was well over 315 pounds when I started...I was afraid to step on the scale after 315 pounds...so I don't know how much I really weighted when I started....I know that I was a size 24-26... And I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without taking a minute to recover. I now am at 170 pounds...and if I don't lose a single more pound it still was worth it. I am so much more healthy, and happy. I can keep up with my kids...and they can wrap their arms around me again. I feel like someone they can be proud to call their mom. If you use it...you will lose it! Good luck!

Mysleevemylife, your words are very encouraging and thank you very much!!! I really do need someone to tell me that I can do this!! I am on a bit of a roller coaster as far as feeling and thoughts but I am going to try my hardest!!

Next...lol I was always around 136 lbs and gained 60 lbs while pregnant and lost about 35 lbs within a month after the birth of my first child, I was 19 when he was born but turned 20 then next month. I lost another 25-30 lbs and went in with my life... Then I had baby number 2 3 years later... Gained about 90 lbs with him!!! That was a lot!! Then after he was born lost it in no time but when he was 8 months old I went through a divorce and gained again.. About 60 lbs. so I was still under 200 lbs and wearing size 10 to 12 comfortably so I was fine with where I was at but then I remarried, turned out to bd mean, he cheated, divorced... Then it started I gained 150+ and its been downhill from there. I am remarried and we have a 4 year old, very happy as far as family life goes but I am sad on the inside bc I am not happy with myself!! So here I am... 340 lbs and size 24-28 pants and 5xl shirts (a snug size 48 G bra) I am going to add something and its only bc my BFF is a beautiful black lady and she likes to tease me cause she says I'm a white girl with black woman's boobies (bc of the size of course) Lol sorry but wanted to add a bit of humor at my own expense!

LOVE IT sassygirl06!!! 170 lbs is a perfect weight!! I am glad to hear your encouraging words.. Thank you so much for sharing!! I needed it!

Laur-ven, I never once used the word failure as far as others weight loss, I only said minimal, and it's my personal opinion as far as what I want to loose, it's minimal for me.. To each their own, I am just stubborn and hardheaded and I WANT more! I WANT to see a three digit number of loss by 6 months, maybe it's just a dream for me but I certainly hope I can make it a reality!

Oh and btw sassygirl06 I was 340 last I had to check, I haven't gained that I know of bc I can still wear all the same clothes but I hate the scale!! I have read your post twice now, I love that you said you can run and play with your kids and they can wrap their arms around you, that's what I want more than anything!!!! Thank you again!!

I am 4 months post op/ 16 wks. I am down 48 lbs since surgery. 82 lbs since seeing my surgeon for the first time on Oct. 17th. The last 2 wks I have only dropped 1 lb a week, but my body is changing!!! I follow the dietition and dr.'s orders pretty close. I have had a bite or two of some things I shouldn't. I am not perfect. But I love my sleeve. I have been having hip/lower back issues so my exercise routine isn't what I would like, but like I said my body is changing. I have gone from a tight 22 jeans/shorts I am now in a size 14 misses! I am still buying 18/20 tops because I don't like clingy shirts. I am 52, 5'7" and started out at 287 lbs. Again, everyone is different. Good Luck!

I started this journey at 338 I am now 197. 100+lb weight loss Can be done, but it takes effort and commitment! I agree with the other poster that suggested that you get a nutritionist since you are having the surgery in Mexico. The sleeve will work if you to choose the right foods and exercise.

Good luck!

Laur-ven' date=' I never once used the word failure as far as others weight loss, I only said minimal, and it's my personal opinion as far as what I want to loose, it's minimal for me.. To each their own, I am just stubborn and hardheaded and I WANT more! I WANT to see a three digit number of loss by 6 months, maybe it's just a dream for me but I certainly hope I can make it a reality![/quote']

Haha! Well I guess me and my minimal ass has been told! :P

I guess I just didn't want it enough!

I wanted to see a 3 digit loss by 6 months, and it's not going to happen. And I usually get what I want, particularly if I have any control over it. That should tell you something - that it does not happen for everyone. I follow all the rules and eat right. I don't eat sliders or junk. I don't think the fact that I'm not losing 100 pounds in 6 months negates the fact that I've lost nearly 80 in 5 months, feel a million times better, and think the amount I've lost is pretty great. I have about 80 to go, and I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen in the next 6 months. I've come to terms with it, and as long as I continue to feel great and slowly lose, I'm still way better off than I was.

I think if you set your expectations realistically, you will be OK. There is no way to know in advance how it will go for you, except it is certain that if you have unrealistic expectations that your body can't produce, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you can take it as it comes, you will be able to enjoy the loss as it comes. Good luck.

Honestly It seems when folks have more to lose. Meaning over 150 lbs they do tend to lose faster in the beginning. As opposed to a person the has 99 lbs to lose. I am not sure why that is but it is. When I had surgery I had to lose 163lbs. I am a little over 6 months out and have lost 108#. But, I have hit a stall now for 2 weeks..... BUT let me make this clear.... I am not worried or stressed about the stall. They come.... And our body does its thing.... Makes it adjustments and the stall breaks! In answer to your question can it be done?? Yes, it can..... What is important is that our focus is to only on the numbers on the scale..... Because stalls will come.... And if you are only paying attention to the scale that could really send you into a tail spin! Enough said! Best wishes to you!

Yes, I guess that's where the whole "minimal" word is coming from, everyone of the people I had talked to before coming in here were 290 and up!! I do realize the people that have a start weight of much lower (low 200's and less) wont loose 100 lbs in 6 months well because if they did OH MY they would blow away!! :)

I have a lot to loose, my goal is to get under the 200 lb mark, preferably 170 lbs before a year is up! I know that's a loss of. half of me now, (170 lbs) but its a goal as of now!

I'm in no way here to get anyone "told" again I repeat it is "minimal" for my body, for me! I am not one for drama so oh me oh my please understand its not against you it's my opinion... Opinions are like....... Well we all know what opinions are like.

OK Chick a dee...smile, then put on your big girl panties, because you won't be able to wear them for long!! I have read all the comments back to you. I'm gonna tell you like it IS: The plan for you is NOT your own..God has a plan for you, and it may not be the same as the plan in your head. Trust in Him..you will reach your goal in time...maybe less time, maybe more time, but it WILL come to pass. I am excited for you to have your surgery, and can't wait for you to experience the wonderful loss and new bodies the rest of us are finding! I am 8 weeks out, and have lost 38 pounds since surgery, about 60 since I saw my Doc the first time. If I stopped losing today, I would still be happy with how far I've come. I feel good and look better than I did. I don't know if you realize what a HUGE accomplishment it was for you to do the research and make the decision to have the surgery! You are ready and don't let a little thing like the time it takes to lose it hamper your decision. Even if you lose only 2 lbs a week, in a year, that's over 100 lbs!!!! Keep it in perspective, and know that there are lots of folks cheering for you on this site, as well as your friends at home. Everyone will not have the same opinion of what you are doing, but trust that the Master plan is going to work!!

I guess what I was originally trying to say, it's going to happen the way it's going to happen.

If you do the right things and trust the process it will happen. It may not happen as fast as you want it.. But it will happen. I don't know if expecting gigantic numbers so fast is a great thing because if it doesn't happen (that quickly)

Are you going to be setting yourself up for feelings of disappointment or the sense of failure.

Yes opinions are like .... And we all have one.

I'm sure you will do fine and I'm sure that you can lose all the weight you want it just might take a little while..

Good luck to you. :)

I wish you the best of luck! With all due respect though, if you can lose 30 pounds per month another way, why not do that? I know you say you want now and want it fast but that's one step off instant gratification and again, with all due respect, isn't that what got all of us in trouble in the first place?

Patience is something that must be learned during this journey. There will be weeks when you lose no weight at all. Your body needs time to catch up. If you have realistic expectations you will not be let down.

Just trying to keep it real.

Djbwilson... Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!! I have to admit I don't really have anyone at home cheering me on... Everyone is negative about it in one way or another! I think the issue at hand, and yes after reading and thinking, more reading and more thinking its simple.. I have an overwhelming desire to prove my mother wrong... Now for any of you to understand that statement it would take a LONG time to explain in full effect but basically in a but shell, my mom has never had faith in me, never pushed me to do well anything, always negative toward me... Now my other sibling, perfect in her eyes, I have offer wondered if it was bc they are almost 15 years older than me idk, our parents have been married 50 years, had a kid young and waited 15 years, mistake maybe? It's crossed my mind... But I do love her don't get me wrong... She has been so negative since I decided to actually do this, I really think she never believed I would actually do it!! I have to admit, I still want that goal of mine, maybe somehow I can lower my goal before July gets here but like I said before.. I'm stubborn :) I feel like I should be able to do this and meet that goal and I guess in part it's because I want to show my mom that I can do it! Then I start thinking about my kids and how badly I want to go to Disney world with them and actually walk all day long and not have to sit down ever little bit!! My dream is to be a Mom that my kids are proud of! I know they love me and they are proud of me but I don't want them to grow up and think of all the things their mom never did with them, I want them to think of all the awesome things they did with their mom!!!

I was once able to loose 20-30 lbs in a month, I explained that in an earlier post, but after some bad times in my life I got to a point that I gave up and when I realized what had happened it was too late! I had become too fat to function!!