Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op diet help

:help: :help: :help: Hi all, I know I should most likely be in a differnt area to ask this question,but I really wanted some Canuck feedback.

I now have a firm surgery date Jan 18, I took my mom to a consutl with me last Tuesday night, as we stayed for the pre op seminar.

I had a digital tape recorder with me and managed to get all the information that I needed.

I have listened to it a couple of times now, and still have questions regarding the pre op diet.

Out of the three hour recording that I have, with Nisrine,

DrJoffe, and finally the nutritionist, I only still know that the pre op diet is low carb low fat diary based.

What exacly does that mean, everyone was taking about yogurt and cottage cheese and that was it.'

Is that truely what we are to eat.

What is a typical day like.

1/2 cup of yogurt/Cottage Cheese or a whole cup

How often, any Protein to go with that, can we take protien drinks during this stage.

OK so one more thing for post op...what defines a CLEAR liquid?

Sorry to nag, but I really want to be clear on this, and although I ama month away from surgery, I want to be able to make some fairly strict choices sooner than later.

Donna Bee

Well, lets answer the easy one first - if you pour a liquid in a clear cup, and if you can see through it when you hold it up to the light, that is considered a clear "liquid". Not milk, juice, coffee, that kind of stuff. As far as a low carb, low fat diet - You can have Protein but just very low in fat. Like if you are to have cottage cheese, get the lowfat or fat free. They just want you to eat wisely. They don't expect you to measure your meals, just watch what you eat. No Pasta, breads, cereals, you know - all the stuff we know we're not supposed to eat. To be honest - I didn't watch at all what I ate before surgery. I pigged out on everything to get it out of my system. By the time my surgery came around I couldn't wait because I couldn't stand eating anymore... Is your surgeon connected with a nutritionist? You should be seeing one as part of the process.

I'm pretty sure that your pre-op diet is ALL the yogourt and cottage cheese you need in a day.

I had my surgery by Dr. Cobourn which is a different pre-op diet, but I have listen to lots of TLBC patients, and that is what they eat.

All the cottage cheese and yogourt (probably low fat) you want.

Jump on in here TLBC patients, back me up!!

If your still not sure PM Yoda, she'll tell ya for sure.

I know for sure every doctor's pre op diet is different. I only had to do this 5 days prior to my surgery and all I ate for the 5 days was unlimited amounts of sf popsicles, any kind of broth that I wanted to drink and sf Jello and yes I drank my coffee and started to get used to my Water drinking. With in those 5 days I lost 12 lbs. and to me that was a hell of a jump start.

Good Luck to you because it sure has been a hell of a ride.

Josephine

You can eat all the fatfree yogurt and cottage cheese you want in a day.The first 3 days are the hardest as you will get headaches (carb withdrawals).But it is worth it.

Blownaway: as someone already mentioned, "clear liquid" is anything you can see through.....(ie. not milk)

I had mine done at TLBC....and even for the patients at TLBC, everyone is different; Nisrine should tell you exactly what you can have and what your pre-op diet can consist of. Some people don't have to do it (ie. lesser starting weight); others only have to do it for 1 week; others for 2 and others for even longer. Nisrine will tell you....if she hasn't, call and ask her.

I can tell you MY prescribed pre-op diet. I had to do it for two weeks prior to my surgery date. The first of the two weeks I could have all the yougurt and cottage cheese (both low fat or fat free versions) I wanted PLUS chicken (JUST chicken...no sauce, no breading, no nothing...just PLAIN chicken) and any "green" veggie (again...nothing on the veggie). For the second week, I had to cut out the chicken and the green veggies and just have cottage cheese/yogurt. I HATE even the site of cottage cheese....so I just had yogurt.

As Loriely said....the first few days are the hardest....due to the carb withdrawal (true withdrawal, my friend!) but once you get through those days, it is really not so bad.

If you have questions, call Nisrine....I know they gave me detailed handouts on the post-op diet.....not so much on the pre-op...but who needs handout when it was not a lot to remember!!! LOL.

Good luck on your journey and don't be afraid to ask questions...specifically...you need to get the details for YOUR pre-op diet from Nisrine.

Blownaway,

YODA has some very good points. Niserine will guide you thru it but you do have to ask - you can e-mail or call her - I found I often received a reply within hours of e-mailing her. I too was on the 2 week pre-op diet and the first week was chicken and yogurt (I can't even stand the smell of cottage cheese) and the second week was yogurt and TONS of Water. It sure works after the first few "headache" days. This board is a great meeting place and so is the reception area of the TLBC so use it to your advantage. If others aren't talking strike up a conversation - chances are they have been thru it before or have the same questions you do and someone there will be sure to answer all your queries. I love "visiting" when I go down for a fill - and that's another story!

Have a great Christmas and let us know how you're doing.

Thanks for the info- I've just recived my pre op medical test package.

In that came a page with regards to pre op diet.

I tried it for a couple of day this week, and you are right about the head ache thing.

My official start date of the diet it Jan 8th (10 days) Surgery date is the 18th.

Here's another question, I know where I can go to get the blood work done, as well as the x ray, but the ECG, do you know of any particular place in Scarborugh/Toronto area?

Soooo tell me about the fill story.