Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I am Heather and I am 27 years old. I have been overwieght ever since I had my son 7 Years ago. I have tryed many diets but I just seem to keep gaining it back. I need more drastic help. I just made an appointment with my family care doctor. I don't know where to start. I dont know anything about this Lap-Band, except it can help you loose wieght and it goes around your stomach. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice to offer?:welldone2: I live in St. Louis, Missouri. Does anyone know a good doctor here?

Hi Heather! I had the lap band put in about 7 months ago. It is a minimly invasive surgery where they place a silicone band around the top part of your stomach. This band can be adjusted (tightened or loosened) with saline injected through a port that is stitched under the skin in your abdomin. What this accomplishes is to assist with Portion Control. smaller portions=less caorieintake=weightloss (in theory). Lap-band is the only adjustable WLS. Just like all the other WLS, the lapband is just a tool and not a magic cure. You still have to make good food choices and do your part to make it work. But since you fill up quickly and stay less hungry, it is easier to make those good choices. Obviously it is not successful for everyone, no WLS is. I have had great success with it as have most on here and most that have had it. That is just the staring point. I am sure you have many more wuestions than I answered, but wish you well in your search for answers.

By the way, there is a link to a video of the operation on my website linked below. It is like an hour long and the doctor/narrator does a good job explaining things. Very graphic though if you are squimish. Again - Welcome:clap2:

It's a long journey and you should do as much research as you can so you can make an informed decision and be certain you're doing the right thing. I'm so glad I did it. Good luck and don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions....That's why we're here.

My mom had the Duodenal Swich Gastric Bypass Surgery like 5 years ago or so. She has lost alot of wieght, but the recovering part after the surgery didn't look like much fun. I know no surgery is no fun, but it was bad for her. I dont want to go that far. Does anyone know if the recovery is anything like that? I am guessing its alot easier that the DS since I read you can go back to work in a coupld of days.

my wisdom teeth, and my nose job were both a harder recovery than my lap-band. I have lost 40 lbs in 3.5 months. changed my life. i have dates now. people talk to me.

Hi heather...I had lapband over a year ago now and it has been a challenging long journey which required alot of lifestyle sacrifices...but i don't regret it for the world and the results have far outweighed the challenges...Congratulations on realising you want something more for your life...and best wishes in your research...If you find that lapband is right for you I am sure you wont regret it...

keep us posted and welcome to lapband talk

:eek: becky

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches