Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm not a smoker but over the past couple months I have gotten into the "e-cig" thing. Does anyone know or has anyone heard if this would be bad pre-op? Is smoking forbidden pre-op? I know it's just vapor and nicotine but I of course want to make sure I'm not doing anything that could cause complications. My DOS is May 30th so coming up!:)

I have seen some people here that had the surgery while smoking, but my program (Kaiser Fremont) will not perform the surgery if you smoke. I'm sure this also covers e-cigs. I believe Kaiser tests for nicotine in the blood. I'd check with your program coordinator.

Lynda

I am a former smoker. I quit in January (after smoking for 17 years) by switching over to an e-cigarette. My surgeon told me I had to quit at least 6 weeks prior to surgery or it would be cancelled. I put it down for good on February 20th. I urge you to do the same! Good luck!

I can only speak for myself>they told me the same thing you heard. If I did not quit the surgery would be cancelled. I smoken right up to the hospital and as soon as I got out. I depends on your insurance company. They had never asked me for the test again.

My surgeon does a test and if you do smoke you are required to go through smoking cessation classes before they will perform surgery. "Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor that reduces nutritional blood flow to the skin, resulting in tissue ischemia and impaired healing of injured tissue" < Direct quote from a medical research journal. It isn't the "smoking" part that matters, it is the nicotine and other toxins found in smoking.

Most surgeons do a nicotine test Pre op, or at least threaten it, and there is nicotine in the e-cigs. The smoke itself is dangerous for the sleeve, but nicotine hinders all healing.

Every doc is different. I'm a smoker, and he knew that going in.. I told him I probably wouldn't quit and while he advised I do and gave me reasons why it can cause complications with the surgery, he didn't make a big deal about it..

If you aren't a smoker and just started, STOP.. Nicotine is very hard to kick and it's sooo not worth getting hooked.

With that said, find out from your doctor.. but chances are he's going to say the same thing.

I didn't quit before or after surgery. I wasn't asked to quit and I had no threats of a test before the Dr would do the sleeve. Some doctors do and some don't. Be sure and check with yours before making your decision.

I healed wonderfully post op and I had no complications.

This is just my experience. I am not encouraging anyone to smoke and I don't require any advice or remarks about the choices I make.

I am just answering the question.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Nicotine can not be in your system pre-op it does something with your blood I forget what the doc said ,but it is not good.

So I'm not a smoker but over the past couple months I have gotten into the "e-cig" thing. Does anyone know or has anyone heard if this would be bad pre-op? Is smoking forbidden pre-op? I know it's just vapor and nicotine but I of course want to make sure I'm not doing anything that could cause complications. My DOS is May 30th so coming up!:)

My doctor tests for nicotine !!

I don't require any advice or remarks about the choices I make.

Are you sure? :lol: Because if we're nothing else, we're opinionated. :P

I have been on an e cigarette for about 1 year... It was the worst fear I had. I had to be nicotine free no matter what form... I couldnt put my cigarette down I was scared to death it would interfere with my surgery... Im not even gonna lie.. I smoked the e cigarette and inhaled rarely for 3 days passed the test continued it but 21 days post op and havent cared nor wanted to even think about smoking again.. My advice is just put it down now

There is also something else begins with a c which is a more sensitive nicotine blood test... My surgeons check for both.. With in 6 weeks and ask that you sign a paper that says you will never smoke again.. They say the nicotine and other chemicals can hard years post op as well as every day smoking health risks.. The idea behind the signed paper is to protect themselves insurance wise

Thank you all for that information!! I am 1 week away from my surgery and my doctor hasn't asked me about smoking nor has he tested me for it. With that said ill just stop to prevent any potential complications... Gosh I hope this doesn't effect my surgery date!!!!!!!:(

Re: Lipstick lady

Lol I started smoking because they took away my wine haha:) been going through a lot personally and found the e-cig relaxing and also helped seriously as an appetite suppressant. With that said though, I haven't been smoking for more than 2-3 weeks so I'll just stop until after the healing and go from there!