Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intro from Melbourne Australia

Guest fifi

Hi

Just a quick intro... I am a 35 yo female in Melbourne, Australia. I was banded just over 6 mths ago and have lost 19.5 kg (42.9 lbs) since then. So far, so good. My fill Dr has been very gradual with me and that has been good as I haven't had any rude shocks... I have been eased into restriction.

I did have a blockage about 6 weeks ago and all my fill was removed. I had a barium swallow xray and thankfully everything was as it should be. Two days later I had fill put back in... 1.7ml, instead of the 2ml I got blocked on and now I am up to 1.9ml and everything is going really well.

Looking forward to participating and making friends here!

Cheers

Fifi

banded 20 Jan 03

kgs: 108.5 / 89 / 60

lbs: 238.7 / 195.8 / 132

Welcome, Fifi and Congrats on the weightloss!

When you say you had blockage, was it food or did your band tighten from irritation or swelling? Also, what were your symptoms? I am curious because I haven't heard of this. I like to keep educated about the band just incase someone else demonstrates the same symptoms I can give an informed opinion on what it might be.

I am glad your surgeon is taking the fill process nice and slow. This allows adequate time for you and your band to adjust.

Look forward to following your progress!

Hi Fifi! Welcome! You are doing great so far!

It seems that the doctors in Australia give smaller fills. I hear that the new theory is that faster fills can mean greater chance of complications. Anyway, it sounds like you have great care!

Nice to meet you!!

Guest fifi

Hi Wednesday and Sheryl,

Thanks for the replies. Apologies for taking so long to answer... I am not in the habit of coming to this site much yet.

Wednesday, the blockage I had may not have been a blockage at all... at least that is what I think now. I had a fill of 2ml that I had had for 5 weeks before anything happened. Then just after my period I noticed I was very restricted and I put it down to that. But the restriction didn't subside after about 5 days and my husband was getting very worried. I was only able to drink a small amount of Water each day and I could eat a little but the tenderness I felt when I drank started to get me worried too... and when the froth on my latte hurt to drink I stopped avoiding the issue and I went to the Dr... all my fill was removed and I went for a barium swallow... Luckily all was where it should be and 2 days later I had 1.7ml put back in. On my next visit my Dr thought it would be fine to go back up to 2ml but I was nervous so we agreed on 1.9ml.

Then about a week or so later I got my period and pretty much exactly a month after my last drastic change in restriction it happened again! This time it was just a fraction less so seeing I was at 0.1ml less, I guess. This time I just sat with it, enjoyed the weight loss and after about a week... possibly longer, it went back to normal. Now I am almost another month on and waiting to see if it happens again!

Cheers

Fifi

kgs: 108.5 / 86.5 / 60

lbs: 238.7 / 190 / 132