Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having my surgery on the 29th of May and I am wondering how long most is you were off work. I just do a desk job. Please fill me in. I'm planning to go back on June 10th. Is that realistic?

I took 2 weeks off. Desk job but with lots of running around too.I work 12 hr shifts.

As of right now (day 4 out) I think I'll be fine then but glad I'm not going back after 1 week.:)

I too, have the same time frame and a desk job. From what I have gathered, if you keep hydrated for the 2 weeks at home, it should be fine. I want to make sure to have my work meal plan prepared ahead of time so that my energy level stays up.

I'm having surgery this thursday and planning on going back to work the following Wednesday...my boss will give me more time if I need it but I think it really depends on the person, ive heard about people who get surgery on friday and go back the following monday (granted someone else drives) and others who take multiple weeks off

Thanks for your input. My doctors office said 7-10 days would be fine so that I what I'm hoping for. (fingers crossed)

I am taking 2 weeks off, but due to my job I will go back with restrictions.

I am taking 2 weeks off' date=' but due to my job I will go back with restrictions.[/quote']

What kind is job do you have?

I have a desk job, too. Had surgery on May 14th. IF I were at home (in MX right now), I could easily go back to work tomorrow. No soreness or pain when moving around, walk/sit/stand easily with no discomfort. But...I'm a workaholic and it's harder for me to NOT be working. It's driving me crazy right now do be here with nothing to do...I need to get home! LOL

I was out 2 weeks but felt great after 3 days. Left the hospital and never had to take any pain medication. Good luck!

This is a great topic... I was sleeved on a Thursday and I worked from home the following week, dialed into meetings, email, etc. So technically I only took 2 days off from work. When I did go back to into the office the following week, no issues at all until around 2pm when I'd hit a wall. My energy level around that time would be completely depleted. That only lasted for about a week until I was back to normal energy-wise and could make it through the entire day without wanting to take a nap in the afternoon.

Number 1 thing to have ready is your meal plan while at work. What works for me is a Premier Protein shake with milk for Breakfast, a homemade Protein energy bar (recipes below) for mid-morning snack, lunch (either leftovers or something from the cafeteria), half a Premier Protein Bar (they are really huge) for mid-afternoon snack, sensible dinner (whatever I can get in), then a sugar-free popsicle for evening snack.

My big issue now is the weekends. The weekends used to be my downfall. I’d stop at the store on my way home from work on Friday, buy out the store, then eat all weekend long. Now, I hardly eat anything on the weekend and I need to fix that. I do great at meal planning during the work week, but really stink at it on the weekend. Because I’m never hungry, I’ll get to the end of the day on Saturday and realize I’ve had hardly anything to eat.

Paleo Energy Bars

1 cup whole natural almonds

12 to 14 Medjool dates, de-pitted

1/2 of a 88% dark chocolate bar

1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds

Pulse the almonds in food processor until you get small bits, but not paste. Empty into mixing bowl. Do the same with the dark chocolate. Process the dates in the food processor until smooth. They will tend to come together in a ball. Add to nut/chocolate mixture. Add the pumpkin seeds whole. Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Mix the ingredients in the bowl. I usually just smoosh all of the ingredients together well with my hands. Then smoosh the mixture firmly into the pan. Cut into bars. Best if you keep them in the refrigerator.

Energy Poppers

1 cup oats

1/3 cup coconut

1/2 cup Peanut Butter

1/2 cup flax seeds

1/2 cup chopped nuts

1/4 cup honey

1 teaspoon vanilla

You can sub out the nuts for chocolate chips or raisins or whatever you'd like. I've used almonds and pumpkin seeds. Mix in a bowl, roll into balls. Best if you keep them in the refrigerator.

I'm scheduled for June 11th and I have a cruise scheduled July 7th to Jamaica.. We also have to drive from West Virginia to Florida (around 16 hours) so would you do it? Do you think I'm going to be in pain riding in the car that long?

(Sorry to piggyback on your post)

And I only took off work from Tuesday - Tuesday for surgery (hopefully that's enough)

I need input! Thanks ????

I'm scheduled for June 11th and I have a cruise scheduled July 7th to Jamaica.. We also have to drive from West Virginia to Florida (around 16 hours) so would you do it? Do you think I'm going to be in pain riding in the car that long?

And I only took off work from Tuesday - Tuesday for surgery (hopefully that's enough)

I need input! Thanks

Everyone is different so it will entirely depend on how you feel. I was up, walking around and shopping the day after surgery, no pain at all (my surgery was out-patient). So for me, driving 16 hours and going on a cruise that far out from surgery would not have been a problem at all. I'm actually jealous!

I need input! Thanks dde0a

No problem! I appreciate everyone's comments. My surgery is 3 hours from my home and they told me when I go home I just have to be sure to stop and get out and walk around.

This is a great topic... I was sleeved on a Thursday and I worked from home the following week' date=' dialed into meetings, email, etc. So technically I only took 2 days off from work. When I did go back to into the office the following week, no issues at all until around 2pm when I'd hit a wall. My energy level around that time would be completely depleted. That only lasted for about a week until I was back to normal energy-wise and could make it through the entire day without wanting to take a nap in the afternoon.

Number 1 thing to have ready is your meal plan while at work. What works for me is a Premier Protein shake with milk for Breakfast, a homemade Protein energy bar (recipes below) for mid-morning snack, lunch (either leftovers or something from the cafeteria), half a Premier Protein Bar (they are really huge) for mid-afternoon snack, sensible dinner (whatever I can get in), then a sugar-free popsicle for evening snack.

My big issue now is the weekends. The weekends used to be my downfall. I’d stop at the store on my way home from work on Friday, buy out the store, then eat all weekend long. Now, I hardly eat anything on the weekend and I need to fix that. I do great at meal planning during the work week, but really stink at it on the weekend. Because I’m never hungry, I’ll get to the end of the day on Saturday and realize I’ve had hardly anything to eat.

Paleo Energy Bars

1 cup whole natural almonds

12 to 14 Medjool dates, de-pitted

1/2 of a 88% dark chocolate bar

1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds

Pulse the almonds in food processor until you get small bits, but not paste. Empty into mixing bowl. Do the same with the dark chocolate. Process the dates in the food processor until smooth. They will tend to come together in a ball. Add to nut/chocolate mixture. Add the pumpkin seeds whole. Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Mix the ingredients in the bowl. I usually just smoosh all of the ingredients together well with my hands. Then smoosh the mixture firmly into the pan. Cut into bars. Best if you keep them in the refrigerator.

Energy Poppers

1 cup oats

1/3 cup coconut

1/2 cup Peanut Butter

1/2 cup flax seeds

1/2 cup chopped nuts

1/4 cup honey

1 teaspoon vanilla

You can sub out the nuts for chocolate chips or raisins or whatever you'd like. I've used almonds and pumpkin seeds. Mix in a bowl, roll into balls. Best if you keep them in the refrigerator.[/quote']

Thank you for this info! :-)

I am scheduled for surgery on Tuesday, May 21st and I will be returning to work the following Tuesday. My doctor said one week was enough time off since I have a desk job. I have read posts with people who have taken 6 weeks off, which I believe is extreme, but hey if they are still getting paid, more power to them!