Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anything that you didn't know about your procedure that you wish you had been told? What tips can you offer? I should have my procedure in January. Thanks

The only things I weren't aware of was how badly I might suffer with trapped gas pains afterwards from all the air they pump in you. That was bad. Also, I didn't realize I'd have soreness around the port area, which for the most part has subsided. Other than that I pretty well informed. Ask all the questions you need, the more you know the better! Good Luck.

Welcome to LBT impersons...

Although one year post op I have learned so many things here on lapband talk that I never new previously...Its an ongoing process so you may never know everything but once you've got the basics you'll be fine...I do agree with shutuplena that I wasn't ready for the gas pains post surgery and I probably wasn't prepared for the length of time it was going to take me to loose the weight I need but I have learned on this forum that diff people diff rates so now I dont get so fustrated at my slower progress. I hope you find all the answers you are looking for. Please keep us posted on your progress! Best wishes

Becky :welldone2:

I read everything I could get my hands on, especially on LBT before I decided to get the band. When I went to the Dr.'s office, I already knew most of what he told me, and what I wasn't sure about or wanted expert advice on I ask him while I was there the first time. I felt confident that I knew what to expect, and what to do before and after the band.

The information is here for you if you just take the time to read all the posts.

Good Luck!

I did not ask what they would use to stitch me up with. When I took the bandaids off I realized that they used staples, which I am very allergic to. So,,,, I was at home when I realized it and was miserable for 5 days. Had to drive the 3 hours back and get removed. I have pretty bad scaring because of this. They would have used stitches if I had ask.

The only thing I wish I had listened more closely to was the reality of the band in terms of weight loss. I would consider myself a slow loser at the 6 month mark and down 34 lbs. That is an average just over 1 lb a week. The lapband isn't a quick fix. You have to work with it. You may have quicker results that me but hopefully you will learn from me too. Good luck. In the end it is worth it.

I didn't realize how fortunate I was to have the doctors I had! After reading other people's posts for nearly a year now, I appreciate the skill and information and pre-care I got from my doctors.

I was well informed because of reading so much for a month before my surgery. You will have that as well. My only suggestion is to read these posts as much as you possibly can between now and your surgery date. I was so informed, as I am sure you will be too.

Good luck to you, and congrats on your decision!!

Is there anything that you didn't know about your procedure that you wish you had been told? What tips can you offer? I should have my procedure in January. Thanks

I read about the gas pains and was terrified about it before my surgery. A post popped up one day about two weeks before my surgery that a lady was told by her Dr. to use an enema the night before surgery to cut down on gas pains afterward. Use up to two if needed. (you can get them at the corner drug store). I did this and was very glad I did. Even though I had been on a liquid diet for weeks, there was more in there than I expected.

I didn't have any of the gas pains that people talk about. I am not 100% that the enema is what prevented it from happening, but I would tell anyone who asked what was the best advice I got before surgery and this would have been it.

Good luck!