Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've heard some say sleevers can't do soy - and same say its ok? I love soy products- so is it yay or nay and why?

Umm.. I love tofu and dry fry it every couple of weeks and eat it as a snack.. No problems.

I'm not sure why some would have problems with it other than eating it to soon after surgery?

I've wanted to eat tofu for a long time but I don't know how you are supposed to fix/eat it? Since you guys do, could you help me out?

To dry fry, I cut up my tofu and slow fry it with no oil or butter on a non stick griddle or you can use a cast Iron pan. I fry it on a lower heat to get the moisture out and crisp it up. Tofu isn't really high in carbs, I buy mine at trader joes (extra firm) Also after you dry fry it you can do different things with it...like marinade in anything (it is tasteless so will soak up any flavor) and stir fry with veggies I like it marinaded sometimes but I will also eat it just straight from the fridge cold after dry frying it

Soy has been fine for me. A serving size of the extra firm doesn't have a ton of Protein in it though. I'm still new to cooking with it, so I went with a "scramble" type style. I sauteed some garlic & cooked the tofu for about 10 minutes (breaking it up) then I threw in pepper slices, Water & spices (I went with a curry spice). Due to the protein being a little low I threw a fried egg on top. It's handy to have in the fridge & really cheap (NaSoya is like 99 cents a package at my store).

What about soy milk in my shakes? I was told its hard to digest... But I love soy milk... Or is it ok after I'm totally healed?

Soy milk is easy to drink. I had trouble with NF milk after surgery from some lactose issue so switched to light vanilla soy. It is low calorie and has a lot of Protein. Plus it is yummy. I mixed it with Protein shakes for many months as a post op, but do not drink it any longer by choice. Nor do I drink milk. My wife still drinks it and prefers it over milk when eating Cereal. I think you can start drinking it immediately after surgery.

Now soy vegetables like edamame you may want to wait a few months on. These are a little difficult to manage until your sleeve can handle raw vegetables.

Thanks guys, I know we are given lots of directions and instructions and I want to follow them- but the soy one seems a little off.

I ate soy as soon as I was on pureed...I like the idea of dry frying it. I also like to drain the water..then slice it and freeze...it's chewier if you freeze it....