Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So afraid I'll still look ugly

I'm 59. The before and after pics I see of folks young enough to still have elasticity look wonderful. But when it's an older person -- so often they look 20 years older than they did before the surgery! It's all the hanging skin everywhere! We have to pay out of pocket for the surgery -- so it would be a long time until I'm able to have any plastic surgery.

I weigh 305 pounds and am 5-6, my goal is 140. That's needing to lose 165 pounds!! I'm overwhelmed at the thought that I could go through will all of that and still hate what I see looking back at me in the mirror.

I wish I felt only gratitude that I'm having the surgery -- but I feel like I'm waaaaay to old to ever look "pretty" again.

Thank you for listening,

WeeWers

I am 52 and I know when I lose the weight I will have a lot of extra skin. I am focusing on the fact that I will no longer be diabetic and I will be so much healthier than I was before I lost the weight. I just look at it as a trade-off and I think it's a pretty good trade. You are going to be so much healthier even if you do have a little bit extra skin. You are going to be so much healthier even if you do have a little bit extra skin.

I'm 59. The before and after pics I see of folks young enough to still have elasticity look wonderful. But when it's an older person -- so often they look 20 years older than they did before the surgery! It's all the hanging skin everywhere! We have to pay out of pocket for the surgery -- so it would be a long time until I'm able to have any plastic surgery.

I weigh 305 pounds and am 5-6, my goal is 140. That's needing to lose 165 pounds!! I'm overwhelmed at the thought that I could go through will all of that and still hate what I see looking back at me in the mirror.

I wish I felt only gratitude that I'm having the surgery -- but I feel like I'm waaaaay to old to ever look "pretty" again.

Thank you for listening,

WeeWers

Hi.... When I started I was 358 # I am 5'6" as well. My goal is 195 # set by my primary Dr. Mostly because of bone structure and muscle mass. Anyhow, when reaching my goal my total weight loss will be 163 lbs. Our goals are pretty much the same. I will be 50 in August.

When I first started and would think of the amount I needed to lose I would get overwhelmed also. So I broke it down to 20 # increments. That worked and took the pressure off. At 6 months I have lost over 100#. Honestly, yes I have hanging skin everywhere... My arms, legs, bottom and tummy. But trust me by the time you get the weight off you feel so much better the extra skin is a small price to pay.

Have you ever considered donating the extra skin to burn victims? Are there any Dr.'S / hospitals in your area that will cover the costs for that type of donation? I know years ago a friend who did this..... I haven't a clue if this is still being done.... Something to research anyhow!

Just think this time next year where you will be..... For me I just take it one day at a time..... I wish you all the best! Tina

I'm 53 & have been overweight for 20 years now so my skin will be hanging too. Surgery or just live with it. I hear its a very painful surgery soooooo....I'm not in this to be a bikini model. I want to just buy some extra years to be with my children. I'm doing it for health reasons, to kick the Type 2 diabetes, High blood pressure & cholesterol meds. So whatever is to be, will be. I will be healthier & I will probably have extra time on earth to spend with my precious gifts from God. I can deal with the skin.

My husband did tell me tho that most insurance companies will pay for skin removal IF it's medically necessary....like if the hanging skin continually causes yeast infections, etc....so you can always check with your insurance company. He's mostly worried I'm going to be losing my boobs (which I look forward to!) LOL!

Let's reality check this......

Your 59 years old and ready to check out? I don't think so. Heck you are in the prime of your life right now..... How cool is that.... I am 57 years old and since losing my weight I feel really good. I love being skinny finally. It is so much easier to get up from a sitting position, I no longer get diarrhea after eating a meal out and having to keep close tabs on where the restroom is and then apologize to my dinner guests. I am no longer diabetic. The only down side I have found to this surgery is that I had to buy a new wardrobe. The other dilemma is, I will only buy myself clothes that I really love now and not settle for what's on the clearance rack. Our life isn't over because we hit our 50's. It's really just beginning. I am doing more traveling now and I'm more energetic. I have lose skin but I look extremely sexy in my clothes. And I do have lose skin on my face but I will have that taken care of really soon. Oh and not to mention how people are actually a lot nicer and respectful to me now.........Yep, I love every minute of this and I am a beautiful person! We all are.... :)

Well, I guess I am the old one. I am 66 and had this done 2 days after my birthday. I have only lost 66 lbs (still have 42 to go). Skin is drooping but my face is fine. No extra skin or wrinkles. My stomach is not that bad. Mainly my arms and tatas. I have gotten off of 4 medicines and 120 units of insulin. Yah me. I can do a lot more things, I can get around better. Never a regret. I am having problems loosing any more. Been at a standstill for over a month. Both of my parents died at 68. I do not have longevity in my family. I hope now I can live a longer life and a more active life. I took a chance and my husband was so scared he may lose me. But I never had that thought and here I am.

name='WeeWers' timestamp='1368883271' post='821092']

I'm 59. when it's an older person -- so often they look 20 years older [/b]

I feel like I'm waaaaay to old to ever look "pretty" again.

WeeWers

I am 59 years young too!!!!!

my before and after pictures???

check out my profile (can't figure out how to post here :( ),

left my glasses in the other room with my rocker and depends :D

hmmmm I look pretty "hot" for a grammy !!! :lol:

i enjoy "strutting" my stuff :lol:

I also have/HAD "mental age issue/ problem" :wacko:

I envy the "youngons" :) having the WLS in their 20's +

i am mad/regretful that i won't be able to enjoy the benefits of WLS as long as others

i do think OMG i wish i had done this 30+ years ago

but, get over it!!!! :D

but...........this WLS wasn't around back in the dinasour age!!! :lol:

you are finally gonna have surgery - and its wonderful, better late than never!!!

I have some hanging skin (bat wings)at my arms - my stomach isn't bad at all, but down south, my inner thighs & rear end have plenty of excess skin :o

all this being said................

i am so happy i had my surgery - regardless of my age

words can't describe my feelings of joy daily

i wake up looking forward to the new day (where as before i felt like hiding in bed)

my diabetes is gone - no more needles/insulin/meds - nice normal blood pressure - no more CPAP!!!!

walk around well - i do exercise "sometimes" - (don't love it!!)

when/if i have the "droppsies"" in the grocery store or where ever

i just bend down to pick it up, instead of moaning and groaning trying to reach the "protein bars" or whatever

i don't huff and puff anymore

i have sat in between 2 other people on an airplane - with room to spare on each side of my buttttt!!!!

when i sat down in a seat at the movies for the first time - it felt so weird that there was all this excess room in the seat

same happened went i went out to dinner - there was all this room between me and the booth!!!!

it doesn't matter how young or old you are when you have WLS

at 59 or 69 etc. etc - you will be starting your new healthier, happier, longer life - wow, great!!!!! be psyched!!!!

Via my special glasses, i can see B) you are beautiful now, inside and out

as you lose more weight, you might/will feel better about yourself - all over!!!!

when you lose weight, you usually look younger/better - because you are not dragging all that excess weight like a ton of bricks

i know i rambled alot here - takes me awhile to get to my point

don't always remember what i started to say!!!LOL

remember what "they" say

we're not getting older, we're getting better!!!

good luck with surgery!!!!

chins up LOL

kathy

I am also 59 and have been sleeved just shy of 3 months. I am your weight, and only 5'3". SOOOO there is bound to be lots of skin hanging everywhere! I'm sure I'm going to hate it, but plan to love spandix!! I am early on my journey, but do hope to have my tummy tucked a year or two down the road.

I can't worry I won't feel pretty with lots of skin. I sure haven't felt pretty being 100 + pounds overweight. So I think the best thing to do is plug alone, and just deal with the 'side effect'. Sure is much better then diabetes, CPAP's. high BP.... I wasn't having those issues, but honestly, I'm sure it was just a matter of time....

Focus on the new you... and the new life you will have!

Please check out queenofcrop.com Her blog is amazing! She is older like all of us. She looks BEAUTIFUL! Start out in the archives so you can read her blogs in the order they happened. You will be encouraged.

Kathy, what a wonderful post. You have really encouraged me!! I am 13 days PRE-OP and so happy I made this choice. Thank you for reinforcing that choice. Looking forward to that "first day of the rest of my life!"