Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice on fill level, please?

I'm still fairly new to band-life, and working on learning what's a good fill level, and what's appropriate band-hunger. Although I've been losing well, I felt like I've still been hungry between meals, thinking about food all the time, and able to eat quite a lot (at least compared to a few weeks ago). So, I had my second fill on Tuesday, bringing me to 1.5cc in a 4cc band. I asked whether I should adjust my diet after the fill, and she said that it wasn't really necessary at this fill level, but would be after 2cc or so.

Even so, Tuesday night I just ate split pea Soup. Then, yesterday morning I ate my regular Kashi Cereal with milk. I had to take it very slow and chew extremely well, but was able to eat 1/2 c. or so. But, since then it seems even tighter. Even Water seems to trickle through, but it does go down (no chugging, though!). I just had 1/2 c. pureed chili, and it also went down, as long as I took tiny bites and spaced them out. I'm concerned that I might be over-filled, and would HATE to have to get an emergency unfill over the weekend. So, my question to more experienced bandsters is, should I tough it out over the weekend (it's my TOM, too), or should I go on in and get .25cc taken out?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Tami

It actually sounds like you are at the right fill level. If you aren't PB'ing after you eat a 1/2 cup of chili it sounds perfect. I would see how you do in the next week. But from where I sit it doesn't look like you are too tight. Good luck.

Thanks, Julie!:hug: Living with the band is a little like raising kids. You gotta learn as you go, and hope you don't make any stupid mistakes in the process!

Tami

After my first fill I was told it would feel tight for 2-3 days. They were right, it took about a week to subside. I now eat normal food, I am sitting here eating a take-out meal from Dennys. This is the fourth meal from the one (1) serving. It is looking like I may give leftovers to my dogs. I just get full and quit eating.

4 meals out of 1?? Good grief! Think how much you're saving on food!

I guess I'll be alright. I was concerned because of being able to feel the Water trickle down, and even getting a bubble feeling in the back of my throat as I drink.

And I also wonder, how on earth we can get enough nutrition and calories on this small amount of food!

On the plus side I AM NOT HUNGRY! Halleleja!

Tami

When I get a fill it is at least 6-10 days before I feel anything, even when I'm overfilled. My doctor wants us on 3days of liquids and 3 days of mushies after a fill. Not all doctors are that strict.

As long as you are able to get food in, liquids down, and not PBing, frothing, or severe acid reflux, you are probably OK. When any of the above happen for a day or so then that usually means you are overfilled.

It sounds like you are OK, but might have rushed into solids a bit soon after a fill. Take it easy and venture slowly back to full eating. After each fill you might find that foods that were once safe are now not. That is not uncommon.

Good luck on your journey.

Thanks for your advice, Barbara. I think you are right that I started eating solids too soon. I probably aggravated the stoma with the cereal. Although the nurse practitioner said that it isn't necessary to adjust your diet until after 2cc or so, that really doesn't make sense, because they can't know exactly where you might reach a good level of restriction.

So, I'm back to purees for a couple of days, and will take it slooooow. I've never PB'd. I guess I should be prepared for that possibility, with a tighter level of restriction!

Tami