Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I lurk but haven't been much of an active participant on here. I was sleeved 4/30. At my one week appointment, I was down 31 pounds, which included weight lost during my 2 week pre op diet. However, in about the last 10 days, my weight loss has stopped. In fact, I've gained 10 pounds! It's so discouraging because I feel like I'm doing what I am supposed to be. I'm on puréed food right now, can only consume about 600-800 cals a day, and am getting 50-100g of Protein daily. I also walk about a mile per day. I started at 343, got down to 312 and am currently sitting at 322. Any suggestions or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated at this point, as I'm feeling really down about this!

You will find that you might have many ups and downs throughout this journey. The fact that you are up 10 lbs does not surprise me. Your body has been through a pretty traumatic few weeks. Allow it time to heal (and sometimes healing involves swelling and Fluid retention).

Celebrate the fact that you've just taken a major step to better health, you are sticking to your nutritional guide and you are totally hitting your Protein goals - those things alone are something to be very very proud of.

The weight will come off - focus on the journey, not the number...

VSGKirk is right--I could feel the swelling after the surgery and I could feel when it went away. Your body is reacting to what it just went through so keep on doing what you know you are supposed to do. It will come back off. This is just the beginning.

Ups and downs are your new way of life...so are stalls. Don't sweat it! It will come off! ;)

I also want to say....stop weighing!nobody listens to this...but really..once you just stop and rely on how you feel..and how your clothes fit...it really is freeing!

I actually find that weighing every day (even pre-op, as I am) is a good thing *for me* - I like tracking stats, and I don't stress over smallish weight swings because I see them ALL THE TIME even when diet and exercise are pretty stable. For me, it lets me see trends over time, and gives me a heads up if I'm drifting upward consistently to keep a closer eye on what I eat and how I exercise, and maybe shake it up a bit. I'm a bit of a geek (well, okay, a whole lot of a geek) so I am happy seeing long term statistics.

But Sassy's right - that's not for everyone, and if it stresses you out, it's not good for you. There are plenty of other ways to see what this is doing for you. As Sassy said, how you feel, how your clothes fit are big indicators, and often more consistent than weight loss, which tends to do a stairstep thing of loss then stall, loss then stall. If you got your measurements before you started the journey, check those periodically - I'll bet that most of the time after your body heals a bit more, you'll find that even if your weight isn't moving, your inches are still coming off. If you didn't measure before, do so now - chest, waist, hips, thighs, your calf, upper arms, neck would be good measurements to have, but even if it's waist, chest and hips you'll have a good notion of what's going on.

And keep in mind, you're down 21 lbs in just over 2 weeks. That's a huge loss, and you need to Celebrate that! Relax. As VSGKirk said, your body is reacting to a major trauma, and what you have gained back is likely water/swelling. It will come off as you heal, maybe even in a big whoosh. Hang in there, stick with the plan. Sounds to me like you're doing just fine!

Thanks for all your input. After posting, I realized thy my physician discontinued my diuretic at my post op appointment, which directly correlates with the increased weight over the last 10 days-must be fluid! Will this just work itself out naturally, or does anyone have suggestions to deal with Water retention? Thanks again for the encouragement!

Thanks for all your input. After posting' date=' I realized thy my physician discontinued my diuretic at my post op appointment, which directly correlates with the increased weight over the last 10 days-must be fluid! Will this just work itself out naturally, or does anyone have suggestions to deal with Water retention? Thanks again for the encouragement![/quote']

I'd let my body rebalance naturally - it should drop as your body heals. And it may sound counterintuitive, but keep your water intake way up. It helps your body flush wastes that could cause inflammation and, you guessed it, additional swelling.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST