Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post-op and very dizzy

I was sleeved May 8th, hospital course was normal with only an overnight stay. I am now 5 days out and feeling VERY weak and dizzy when I get up. I've been getting fluids in and started full liquids with Protein powder yesterday. My urine is NOT concentrated, but yesterday I started having watery diarrhea and it still hasn't stopped. (But the dizziness started well before the diarrhea.) I'm due to return to work Wednesday but am concerned about being so dizzy with the amount of walking my job requires.

Thoughts, suggestions? Is this normal????

I am post-op May 6th and was also very very dizzy. I think it was a combo of my blood pressure being very low from the pain meds and my sugar fluctuating. I started feeling better yesterday so hopefully you will soon too! Hang in there.

I was dizzy for awhile until 2 days after I stopped pain medications. I also had runny BM's since I was only ingesting liquids.

Are you still on pain meds?

I had my surgery on May 8th as well and I felt very dizzy yesterday. I stopped taking pain meds on Saturday and the doctor said I may be dizzy for a few days after. I am also experiences constant diarrhea and it is very watery. There is no controlling it and it comes on so fast that I barely have time to make it to the bathroom. I am very concerned about this because I am supposed to go back to work on Wednesday but I am a teacher and there is NO WAY I can be in school like this. Please let me know if you have any relief or if anyone else has any suggestions. I started pre-made Protein Shakes and the rest is clear liquid at this point.

The can be a few things...or a combo of them. First...if you are on any blood pressure meds they can be the culprit, and I would recommend seeing your doctor right away about titrating off or stopping them all together. Second, it could be something called ortho static hypotension, where upon standing you get very dizzy due to your blood pressure dropping very quickly...easy remedy is to dangle your feet for a minute and take it really slow getting up. Some people suffer from this for a short time post op, and it should go away within a few days to weeks. The third could be to do with your pain medications if you are still taking them. The diarrhea is a completely normal thing post op as well. I would recommend taking a few extra days off from work until you have these issues under control. As always...keep your surgeon informed of everything you are going through, especially if it doesn't feel right to you. Good luck! And welcome to the losers bench!

If your experiencing diarrhea then that can contribute to dehydration. I would take a few days off. Also call your surgeon's office and talk with them in addition to increasing your Fluid intake. My regimen was Water, water, water, Protein, protein, protein. Most people that I have read on VST were having difficulties with Constipation and a few with diarrhea. Wishing you good health and getting back on track really really soon. :)

Thank you all. Just to answer a few questions posted. I stopped taking pain meds Saturday because I felt it could be contributing to my dizziness. In addition, my pain level wasn't really that high any more, so I felt it was the right time to let that go.

I have never been diagnosed with hypertension, so I'm not on anything to control my BP, but I can see how that would be a significant issue for those with HTN post surgically. Orthostatic HTN is possible for anyone, really, so I will test my BP as I stand. I work in The Texas Medical Center, so I can easily investigate that.

Thank you for all your advice. I'm calling the MD office this afternoon to let them know. Today my mission will be Protein and fluids. At this point I don't think I will be able to return to work Wednesday, but I wont make that decision for sure until tomorrow. The demands of my job require me to be able to walk between 2-5 miles on any given day in the Medical Center, walking in the Houston heat from hospital to hospital all day long.

Thank you all! Fingers crossed!

Ooo, One thing that need to be brought up is the beginning signs of dehydration. Dizziness can be from dehydration as well. I know someone brought up that loose stool can cause dehydration. So, if you have loose stools and dizziness I would suggest to up the Water intake.