Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No liquids required! Cool!

Hey all, Happy Hump Day!

I just called my surgeons office (I'm scheduled for 1/30). I have my 'pre-class' on 1/17, and thought I was cutting it very close with regard to 'instruction' for liquid diet prior, etc. I spoke with his Medical Assistant who advised me that I do NOT need a liquid diet prior to the surgery…just 24 hours prior. WOW, that got me excited!

However, I know it's in my best interest, and that of my liver…to do SOMETHING before surgery, in terms of physically preparing. Do you think I should put myself on a modified diet prior; or live as I have been? I definitely have to decrease my portion sizes, as I'd like to try to 'shrink' the stomach, so that the 'after' period is not as hard of an adjustment.

Thoughts??????

My surgeon didn't have us on one either. He said 2 weeks on a liquid diet would not shrink your liver and it would be fruitless. I ate normally up until midnight before surgery. You'll be fine.

I was put on a high Protein and extremely low fat diet for 7 days prior to being banded. My Dr. on the other hand said the combination of high protein/low to no fats would shrink the liver, make it more pliable, and make placing the band a simpler operation. He either guesses well or something, he told us it looked like I had followed the diet better than my SIL, and he was right on the money. She had been told it didn't matter...so refused to follow it. I don't know if it did or not, but you are right in knowing it will make the days immediatley following surgery easier if the carb/sugar cravings are already gone!

Basically it boils down to the fact that it is never to early to start eating healthy!

Congrats on getting a date---it will be here before you know it and you will be off a new adventure!!!

Kat

My doctor did not require a pre-op diet but asks that you lose 10 pounds prior to surgery and commit to exercising 30 minutes a day for 30 days prior. I decided to go to Weight Watchers since i felt I needed the accountability. I am down 18 pounds and as of today I am self inflicting mostly liquids for the next 5 days with a simple meal for dinner thrown in. I am trying to make every effort to get myself prepared for surgery and for life after! I think what Kat said is right in that if you lose the sugar and white flours you will have a much easier time on the other side of the banding! South Beach diet is a pretty easy one to follow if you want to detox yourself of the simple sugars. Just a thought. Congrats and best of luck!

~kay

The Boyfriend and I are both planning on going Low Carb January 2, so I'll be set with getting off the sugars. I too think I will do a liquid meal every day. I did go to www.bariatriceating.com, and bought myself some samples - GREAT idea I got from here. No sense buying stuff that is just nasty tasting. Got some great flavors in the samples.

As for the excercise, I have to get going. They say it takes two weeks to loose and gain a habit (good or bad).

I heard that while some doctors swear it makes a difference, not every doctor thinks it is significant enough to matter. My doctor just wants me to stop eating and drinking by midnight the night before.

I have been much more in tune with my body's hunger/satisfied signals, as well as increasing my Water intake. Other than that its business as usual for me. Good luck!

My dr did not require any kind of pre surgery diet...probably because I got it in Australia...I had the last supper the night before...I was soo.....full. I haven't eaten like that in a long time....Well obviously!!!

:rolleyes: becky

I had no pre-op diet. Just nothing after midnight the night before. I think if a doctor was concerned that you may have what they call "fatty liver" they may recommend a low-carb diet to shrink the liver. I guess some doctors just have ALL do it, while some have NONE do it. Seems like that is one of those things that varies by surgeon.

Hi Becky, maybe it was your surgeon's choice for you to not have a pre surgery liquid diet, but my surgeon strictly requires it, and I am having my surgery in Australia. Good on you for your weight loss too.:clap2: Susannah

My honest advice to you would be to put yourself on a healthy diet, get plenty of exercise and get yourself in good frame of mind and in good shape to go through surgery. liquid diets are only necessary for shrinking the liver and probably not necessary for everyone who does them, but its just policy so most surgeons wouldnt differentiate between one person and another. I didnt have to do one either, I'm in Australia.

Try to avoid the last supper syndrome. I managed to do so becuase I knew how demoralising and degrading that would have been and what a negative preparation for surgery - hey, lets get SO fat that we need weight loss surgery and while we're waiting, hows about we eat ourselves into a stupor, have an orgy of chocolate and cake! I just knew I couldnt live with myself if I did that, and whilst I've always been a moderate overeater all of the time, that kind of binging just makes me feel awful within myself and I didnt want to do it. By all means have a last supper (or a couple) but do it in a moderate way.

Not that I dont TOTALLY understand that many people just cannot get a handle on that kind of behaviour and I'm not in any way judgemental of it, I just did not want to do it to myself and I'd suggest that if it can be avoided, you will go into this whole thing with a way more positive outlook. Dont just decide you've thrown in the towel and taken the "last resort", start your healthy and happy new life NOW.

Very best of luck.

hi everyone

congratulations on your surgery date. i was on a liquid diet. i couldn't eat anything with sugar in it either. i would like to see with the people who stuck with a strict pre-op diet and the ones that didn't if there was a difference in how they handled the surgery. i exercised at least 5 days a week and stuck to my diet religously and had no nausea after surgery and went back to work the next day. i really thought that my recovery had alot to do with the condition my body was in before hand. just curious on others experiences.

I'd agree with that, but that depends a LOT on how obese you were at surgery I think, somebody suffering from morbid obesity with a BMI of 50 or more is often not going to be in as good condition physically as somebody with a BMI of 35, liquid diet or not. Its hard enough getting around after a big operation, and becoming mobile quickly is important for recovery - but when you already have mobility problems as a result of your obesity for instance, you're really going to struggle.

The liquid diet is usually sufficient in nutrients for a short period, but its not a replacement for a long background of healthy eating, you dont suddenly get into shape after 2 weeks on Optifast. And a fit body that has always been active will probably recover more quickly than a more sedentary one.

I am not looking forward to being on the liquid diet, but I am comitted to following it. I don't believe I am less of a person because I have been told to follow the liquid diet. I am feeling that kind of tone here. We are all struggling with weight, and we have different health issues also that can make it harder.

I don't think there should be two classes of the obese. Sorry just how I feel. Susannah