Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 days postop! Hungry. Scared to start purée foods

I am 12 days post op. I start my puréed food stage but I'm afraid to eat. I'm weak because I can't get as much Protein as I need per day. Protein Shakes are hard to drink, but they were before surgery. I don't eat eggs, yogurt, or cottage cheese... Having a hard time deciding what to eat first.

What about baby food with added powder Protein?

When you say you don't eat these foods, does that mean that you don't like them or they don't agree? At this stage, those foods do make up several good ways to get in your Protein. You can puree just about anything to make something to eat. I put canned chicken with a little BBQ Sauce and pureed that. You can put vegetarian chilli in a blender and blend that, but you should strain it afterwards. You can also have cream Soups that have been blended and strained. Unflavored Protein Powder can be added to those.

Just a side note, I would not recommend eating baby food. Those foods are manufactured for babies and you can't get the proper nutrition from them. Protein shakes at this stage is also a really great way to get what you need. You may want to open up a little bit and try different types and see if you can find one that you like. Good luck!

eggs was my first choice. I made 1 scrambled eff with a half a slice of cheese. It was like heaven. HEAVEN...

But you said you don't want any of that stuff.

How about Soup? Cream of (whatever you like) Soup? My doctor said mashed potatoes were okay, only on this stage, because they go down easily. And refried Beans are okay on this stage as well. With a little shredded cheddar - yumo.

I couldn't wait to eat. And I'm loving it! Just making smarter choices and eating a lot, a lot less.

At Whole Foods, there are organic baby foods that have no sugar added. You can add a compounded multi Vitamin, liquid b-vits, liquid Calcium and Protein Powder. For Iron, if you brown the Protein powder on a cast iron skillet first, it will absorb the iron into the powder. Though I've not had my surgery yet, I have cleared this with my physician.

Rigatta chesse with a little sauce heated up is delicious. Also weight control maple oatmeal only has 1 gram of sugar and you can use low fat milk or Water. Good luck.

I love refried Beans. And today I had a little bit of pork and Beans (my kids had beanie weanies...I just had no weanies)

But there are these Protein shots that you can buy. They have these tubes that have 45g of Protein in them. I don't know how they taste, but my doctor's office nutritionist told me about them. As a quick way to get protein in.

AND there are these little cans of tuna that you can get. They're about one serving and I think those have about 18g of protein in one. The nutritionist said that I could mix in fat free mayo with the tuna and BAM 18g of protein.

And milk. Milk has protein too.

There are other ways, you just have to look for them. But good luck. I know it's hard.