Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking-----

I'm still pondering this surgery. I keep thinking about the seminar I attended. I know this won't be a miracle cure but I am doing it because everything I have tried has failed.

On that note, the Drs. said I will have to make a lifestyle change. I will need to exercise and completely change eating habits.

Well if that's the case I won't succeed with the surgery anyways. That's why I've never been able to do it anyways. Hello?

Anyways, just sharing thoughts.

On that note, the Drs. said I will have to make a lifestyle change. I will need to exercise and completely change eating habits.

Well if that's the case I won't succeed with the surgery anyways. That's why I've never been able to do it anyways. Hello?

I struggled with this too before surgery, it just didn't make sense to me.

But I've felt some very real physical changes that I feel sure are going to make this work, and work life-long. First of course is that I don't eat as much as I used to because of the band. I also find that "bad" foods don't go down as easily, at least the ones I had problems with in the past. So they are a lot less attractive. Also, since I am actually feeling full/satisifed most of the time, for probably the first time in my life, food isn't front and center in my life anymore. I don't think about it all the time, and it's easier to make those choices.

I like an analogy I read a while ago. Getting the band is like being handed a hammer to drive nails when you've been trying to do with with your hand.

yes, you will need to excercise and change the bad unhealthy habits if you want to succeed. I had the band done in March 06 and have lost 105 lbs in 9 months; I would not have lost this much without the band, and this is with cheating sometimes:faint: , and skipping out on excercising sometimes. :) It is worth it to me to have the band; this band and me, we work together.

I have been banded a year now and am still struggling because of my poor choices! I am on the right track now and I will succeed THIS time around! But honest to God the band is a great TOOL and only a TOOL! It is only as good as the choices you make! It is better to walk into this with you eyes wide open than with rose colored glasses on. Good luck to you!

You're very wise for investigating this before going for surgery! It *is* important to know what to expect. Living with a lap-band, and making it work, *does* require some lifestyle changes, but the lap-band makes it a little easier to make those changes that have been so difficult to stick with in the past. But, the question that you really have to ask yourself before surgery, is "Am I ready?" One of my bandster friends here, Karey, has this in her signature line:

"It is part of the cure to wish to be cured."

So, if you want this, and you're ready to make some changes, go for it! You won't regret it!

Tami

I agree with what your seminar/Dr. said. It is a life style change, one we all were fully aware we needed. The difference is being able to actually DO IT with the band, and NOT being able to without it. I could diet for periods of time, but soon I would either fall off the wagon, or feel deprived and binge. With the band--those things canstill happen, but I kow I can start up tomorrow and be right on target again.

The early stages of being banded do require you to have just as much input into the dieting issue as with any other diet you have been on. You have to follow a certain plan of food, etc. But for me, about the time I would have given up---I got my first fill, or adjustment. It made me begin to see food differently and eat differently, but that combined with the fact that the weight was coming off quickly...was enough to keep me going strong. Then I went for another fill, a month later. To put this in perspective, I was banded the end of April, had my first fill in June, the 2nd in July---so 3 months out, and my band began to work, like I had only dreamed about!!! I have restriction! I am not hungry! It is very easy to make good food choices when you are not starving! I still deal with head hunger...but it too gets easier, as you see your health and your body making such huge changes! As for the exercise, yes it is important...but it is not something I personally took too seriously for probably the first 50 pounds! By the time I lost that I was able to move so much easier, and found it not to be a struggle. I noticed I felt better after getting my blood pumping, and my muscles moving. Now I actually (shhhhh don't tell) enjoy exercising!!! Who would have EVER thought that????

So in response to what they told you---it IS true. And for a short while it will not be a lot different from the dieting you do now...but if treated properly, and if you see your Dr. as he requests for adjustment to the band, so that you can reach optimal restriction....then the band kicks in, and it makes it a whole new ballgame! One I am ever thankful I am in!!!

Read up, ask any questions---I think you will see, that yes we do work on getting the weight off---but we all have something we had lost prior to the band...we have HOPE....and it's working!

Good Luck in your research----that is the smartest move you can make towards making a band work for you!!! Knowledge is Power!

Kat